Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is laser speckle far more noticeable in IMAX Laser compared to Dolby Cinema ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is laser speckle far more noticeable in IMAX Laser compared to Dolby Cinema ??

Been to a number of IMAX Laser(dual and single) and Dolby Cinema venues and the former always had noticeable speckle noise in bright scenes while it was basically non-existent in Dolby Cinema. Is it just Dolby using better projectors(Christie Eclipse i believe) compared to IMAX(Barco based) or something else ??

My initial guess would be... As IMAX is using such large screens, and as such, higher screen gain. It unfortunately makes Speckle more noticeable.
    I have not heard any indication that one company has better Speckle mitigation than the other.

Comment

Reasons why IMAX with Lasers looks like a unicorn has taken a giant dump all over the screen:

- Dolby Cinema uses standard, low gain white screens, IMAX uses highly reflective silver screens.
      - Dolby Cinema uses physical actuators to shake the screen, IMAX uses an ultrasonic screen shaker system that apparently does little to hide speckle.

Reality: Digital IMAX just sucks, no matter if it's Xenon Laser Shark Tank aligned or Sharks with Laser Enabled.
      And no, it isn't Barco's fault: I've seen Barco 6P setups on silver screens that show little to no speckle, but those screens use actuator-based screen shakers.

The modified Christie Eclipse projectors may be the "better" projectors, but at a giant cost in light efficientcy, compared to Barco's 6P setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
        Reasons why IMAX with Lasers looks like a unicorn has taken a giant dump all over the screen:
        ROTFL!!! Thanks for that one!!

Comment

Working...
        X