Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Supermicro Motherboard on a GDC Server. Any hidden issues you might know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Supermicro Motherboard on a GDC Server. Any hidden issues you might know.

Hello Everyone, Our TCC is running Hollywood Software Version 3.5.3.0 and we have a GDC server running Fedora Core 5 using a Supermicro C2SBC-Q Rev 1.01 Motherboard which we believe has an intermitten fault. We have brought a new old stock Supermicro C2SBC-Q Rev 1.01 Motherboard to replace it. The question we have is this a simple changeover or is there more to it. Do we need to change any setting in bios. Are far as we can see that if we remove the Motherboard noting where power supply, Sata cables, Hard Drive etc go and if the bios settings match the old board the GDC should bootup thinking it's running the old board. Is this the case or will security / tamper be detected by the OS or something else. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks John
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

you will need to run a program from GDC They have a single utility program for when either the MB or the OS drive are replaced. Contact GDC for it.

Comment

Hello Steve, Thank you for your reply. As no one else has replied am I to assume it's a pretty straight forward swap with no real issues?

Comment

You have to transfer the CPU/Fan and the memory sticks. Just take a few pictures to ensure all of the cables go back in the right places. Other than that...nothing too traumatic. Again, you'll need that program from GDC or you'll get errors on boot up with mismatches. I presume that for a motherboard, it is transferring the serial number to mate up with the new MAC address of the NIC(s) of the different motherboard.

Comment

My tip would be when you initially boot up you will get an error saying “Invalid system license”. Press the silver button on the front of the server and it will take you to the control panel. Log into the admin panel and then you can run the script Steve mentioned from there.

Comment

Hello Steve and Matt, what you say makes sense about the serial numbers and tips are also very handy. This brings up another interesting question. Our trouble with the original motherboard has related to the Ram. It was running 2 x 1Gb DDR2 800mhz Ram Cards and it was discovered that 1 card was faulty and from advice from the company that does updates etc approved by GDC they said we could run on just 1GB of ram which we've been doing. We ordered what was claimed to be new 2GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram as well as 1GB used DDR2 800Mhz Ram and only the used Ram worked but has caused problems. The question is does the server look for serial numbers on the Ram as well? We were told by the approved GDC company that swapping the ram shouldn't make any different. Does this explain why the 2GB Ram is ignored and won't let the GDC boot up.

Comment

Swapping ram does not make any difference and yes, it can run on 1 stick (and is a troubleshooting thing to remove one stick at a time to see if either have issues). In fact, I've clear memory errors just by reseating ram sticks (not limited to GDC but darn near any computer). I recently cleared a memory error on an XD10 (DTS) by just reseating RAM.

But no, no scripts are needed for a memory stick change. It will need to be something where a serial number could be tied to something...like a mac address or HDD serial.

Comment

Hello Steve, reseating the ram has fixed the error at the moment. Thanks for all the advice it's appreciated.

Comment

As Steve mentioned ram can be temperamental on computers. If the issue comes back I’d recommend removing the sticks, cleaning the sockets with clean compressed air and brush some dry contact cleaner. Do the same on the sticks by brushing some contact cleaner on the connector. Then re-seat the sticks a few times. That usually works. I’ve stumbled into stubborn sticks more than once ?

to confirm all is well, an overnight of ‘memtest’ is never a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X