Shutting Down Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting Down Server

I'm curious as to whether or not I should completely shut down my GDC SR-1000 server at the end of the night? I've received conflicting opinions about it. Also, would shutting it down affect any films being uploaded to the server?

A server cannot receive content if it is shutdown (or sleeping...projector is in standby and server has minimal power). All of our SR1000 theatres shutdown at night, including the SATA drives (we install the Enterprise Storage). The exception is if content is moving that night and they tend to leave them up for that.

Remember, if the projector is on, its fans are on. If fans are on, dirt is pumping and you are wearing a mechanical device. While the equipment is designed for 24/7 operation, that doesn't mean it always makes the most sense in terms of wear or electricity.

Comment

That's what I thought. We always shut the projector down at night, but we don't shut down the server. We receive content throughout the week, at fairly unpredictable times. Should we continue to shut the projector down, but not shutdown the server?

Comment

With non-IMS, one could keep the server on and the projector switched off. So the dust problem was reduced as one could just take the server out annually and clean it with ease. But as they now live inside the projectors, as Steve say they become dust pumps and you cannot blow a light engine with a compressor (yes, you shouldn't really do that on a motherboard either!) .

IT data shows that mechanical hard drives don't like to be powered off apparently. BUT that does not mean your HDDs will all fail 6 months after you install them if you switch them off at night. You might have to replace them sooner than if you left them on all the time. However, electricity consumption then comes to play.

Do you run a 12 hours schedule every single day, so you'd switch off the drives for less than half a day only? Keep everything on.
        Do you run shows on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday only? Then switch them off when not used!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Sime View Post
          That's what I thought. We always shut the projector down at night, but we don't shut down the server. We receive content throughout the week, at fairly unpredictable times. Should we continue to shut the projector down, but not shutdown the server?
          Well, if you have an external feed for your content... Satellite or High Speed Internet... You need a catch server to hold that content until you have the time to transfer that content to your servers. I know at least one satellite service that provides a catch server. But I am not sure if services like Deluxe include one. It should really be separate from your TMS, but networked to it....

Comment

I'm thinking I misread this. Do you have an S1 projector and is your SR1000 living in the S1 adapter box? If so, yeah, you can run that 24/7. Your server will get more dirty because the fans will be blowing on it. As others have said, Enterprise grade drives (HDD) are designed around 24/7 operation. The portable storage has not been a good performer for me with numerous change outs of drives and chassis. So, that one I'm less inclined to leave running 24/7 but it should be able to handle it. I'd say though...if there is no reason to keep it running, shut it down. If you run 12 hours a day (or thereabouts) then I'd favor leaving it up. If you run 4-hours a day except on weekends, I'd favor shutting it down.

If this is in an S2 or later projector...there is no way to shut the projector down without shutting the server down (or having it in a standby state).

Comment

Projector is a Christie 2210

Comment

I know at least one satellite service that provides a catch server. But I am not sure if services like Deluxe include one.
                Deluxe does provide a catch server. That's what we have.

We have the GDC SR1000 (with an external storage RAID unit as a backup for storage -- we salvaged it from our previous server), the NEC 2000 projector and the Trinnov Ovation2 sound processor. We're open 6 or 7 nights a week with 1 show nightly except 2 on Sunday. We turn everything off at night except the catch server and the external storage unit. We do have a firm practice that once the system is powered on for the day (such as a morning private show or an odd matinee) it stays on until after that night's shows.

Comment

That's what I thought. We always shut the projector down at night, but we don't shut down the server.
                  Now - with an SR-1000 in a Christie 2210 - how do you do that? Which way do you receive content? I guess we need more information about your installation. Is that a single screen/single projector, do you use a TMS, do you receive content as disks, or through DCDC (satellite), electronic distribution?

Comment

Either way he gets content, shutting down the server won't stop the content from arriving.The content downloads into the catch server, then the theater transfers it from there to the individual projector or the theater's TMS. (I don't think the TMS acts as the catch server, does it?)

I don't know for sure how DCDC does it, but with our Deluxe server, their contract requires that it be powered up 24/7 in order to receive content.
                    Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 09-24-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

When I first got the Cinesend device - I still have the same gadget even though it's now run by Deluxe - the guy at Cinesend told me that I should just shut it off when there's no content being delivered and they would email me to tell me to turn it on when the next thing was ready. Since there were some gaps of a couple of months between getting something that way, it made sense to do it that way at the time.

Now the situation has changed and I leave it running 24/7, of course.

Comment

So, again, maybe I'm misinterpreting things. Are you calling the RAID storage device (PSD or Enterprise) the "server?" The server is the part in the projector. the drives are just that, just a dumb box with an ESATA connection cable. If the projector is shut down, there is no reason to run the drives. The enterprise grade drives are designed for 24/7 use and are going to last 5+ years, regardless and you should plan on changing drives every 5 years, regardless. The PSD uses 2.5" drives and depending on make/model...may not last as long if run 24x7.

Comment

Still ingesting hard drives. Average 6 hours daily on seasonal operation.

I've never seen the point of leaving my equipment on, but to me, it's like the argument we used to have about leaving tube equipment on or off.

13 years on my Barco / Doremi installs. I bring everything down cold, down to the UPS's, then turn off the breakers. At the start of the evening, the UPS's go on, then the breakers, then the equipment. A nearby indoor & drive-in with the same setup does much the same.

Midway through my off-season (around Jan 1), I run everything for a day to keep the batteries up.

So-far, I've replaced the UPS batteries once, which seems normal for that brand. 5 years ago, I replaced all of my hard drives with larger models, after losing one (of 9). Otherwise, no problems.

Last year, my daughter and I visited a seasonal drive-in that left their machines on all winter. To each his own, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                            So, again, maybe I'm misinterpreting things. Are you calling the RAID storage device (PSD or Enterprise) the "server?" The server is the part in the projector. the drives are just that, just a dumb box with an ESATA connection cable. If the projector is shut down, there is no reason to run the drives. The enterprise grade drives are designed for 24/7 use and are going to last 5+ years, regardless and you should plan on changing drives every 5 years, regardless. The PSD uses 2.5" drives and depending on make/model...may not last as long if run 24x7.
                            I guess what I mean is, at the end of the night, on the GDC Server WebUI, should I click the "shutdown button" or am I fine just x'ing out of the application?

Comment

With the GDC servers, you are always best served using the Shutdown. This ensures everything is properly put away that nothing is in a write-cycle when the power disappears. It is a full commitment, however. The only way to wake it back up is to power it off and back on. So, in an NEC, for instance, the server remains powered but in your Christie, I'm pretty sure power is cut to the server when the projector is in standby. Just the touchscreen and the PIB module have power in standby (with their dedicated power supply).

Comment

Working...
                              X