How to use the HDMI input on a GDC SR1000 server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use the HDMI input on a GDC SR1000 server

I guess I'm getting old, but it seems to me that the user manual for the GDC SR1000 server does not have specific instructions on how to use the HDMI input to run Blu-ray content. We did have a Dolby IMS3000 which was all set up for this, but it gave up the ghost and, what with the way things are nowadays, the quickest replacement available was the GDC. Hopefully, one of you who has run video disc content through this particular unit can give me more specific instructions than Playback/Edit/whatever. Actually, I am retired and my successor is the one who needs this information. Thank you much, for me and her.

GDC has you run a "show" with the HDMI "streaming" content in it. This is true for their prior IMBs as well. So, you just make up a simple show and place the HDMI "content" in it (again, it will be in the streaming category). Load and then start the "show" and it will switch its input to HDMI.

The Doremi/IMS stuff one can switch inputs via macro execution without putting them into a show (and there is even a direct selection, that is actually harder than setting up a macro execution, that can then be turned into a "quick key" too.

Comment

Bear in mind often the system needs a reboot after a HDMI show is run as the GDC sometimes doesnt switch all it parameters back

Comment

Okay. So one must use the instructions under the "Live Play" section of the manual? I have also seen a video for this on YouTube, but in both cases, no mention is made of HDMI, only USB and e/SATA. No manual came with the unit. The one I downloaded is from April of last year. This is what leaves me scratching my head as to why there is an HDMI input, yet no specific instructions. At any rate, I will pass this along to the woman who took over for me. If any of you gentlemen have more to say, or if anyone else wants to contribute more, please do so.

Comment

I don't have an SR-1000 available remotely to get screenshots from, so the following are from the VNC UI of an SX-3000. You'll find the same functions on the SR-1000's web UI, but they look a little different.

In the playlist builder, create a SPL, and drag the HDMI playback item into it, just as you would a DCP:

HDMI_playlist.JPG

Then simply play it as you would any other SPL:

HDMI_playing.PNG

To change HDMI settings, go to configuration > alternative inputs:

alternative_inputs.JPG

HDMI_config.PNG

As I wrote, you'll have to hunt around for these screens' equivalents in the SR-1000's web UI, but they should be there. If you change the output color to DCI XYZ, you can use the same projector macro for flat that you do for flat DCPs, just like you can with the IMS3000. As for audio, the GDC will pass PCM uncompressed audio only through from HDMI to AES, meaning that you can play it as you would regular DCP audio. It won't handle Dolby or DTS-encoded audio, though, so it's important to set your BD player's HDMI audio output setting to LPCM.

Comment

Also, if you're using the HDMI input for a long event it shuts off after about 12 hours. You then have to hit 'play' again.

Comment

Like all of the above said, you need to make a generic "HDMI" playlist with an internal automation cue to select "HDMI" as your input source. Once you load your playlist, hit "PLAY" and it will activate the HDMI input and allow you to play the content. The HDMI input on the SR-1000 will also pass the audio back to your sound processor.

Comment

As long as it's LPCM audio. AFAIK, it can't convert Dolby or DTS-encoded HDMI audio to AES3.

Comment

Working...
                X