Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set the time of DOLBY DSS200 server to correct time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
    If the DSS server (and they all set the same) cannot locate an NTP time source (they default to looking for the DSL show library at 192.168.241.2), they will update off the secure clock (it is possible to defeat this if one has a CAT745 since they are so awful at keeping time).
    Interesting. How do you turn off syncing of the system clock to the Cat745 (when no NTP server is available)?

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Scholz View Post
      There are situations, where there is no access to a NTP server. I serviced 2 drive ins, and in both, the projectors were controlled locally without any networked connection. One lost it's time frequently, and the solution at the end has been to connect a WiFi bridge, use the operator's smartphone as a source for the NTP, by connecting over wifi to a phone provided hotspot every day at startup. That solved the problem, and the time was kept in sync with actual time.
      AS stated by others here, DCI timekeeping relies on true NTP server synchronization.
      I service two DI as well, but one has year round internet, so not a problem. The other drive in near Powell, WY has no internet, but one can create a hotspot and run the laptop for an hour or two to sync them up while you are there servicing. So, if I go to that one twice yearly, then the clock is always very close.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Stankey View Post
        I don't know about where you are located but here, where I live, I use a time server operated by the U.S. Naval Observatory.
        tick.usno.navy.mil or tock.usno.navy.mil (Get it? "tick" and "tock"? )

Your profile says you are in China so my server is probably restricted for you. A time server located in the United States won't do you much good, anyhow. You need to find a time server located in China.

I'm certain that the government of China or some-such public entity operates time servers that you can use where you live.

Every computer, iPhone or other device that I own which can use a time server is set for "tick" or "tock."

Never had a problem getting accurate time in years.
        He should be able to pick up the NIST signal that's broadcast out of Boulder, CO. I would imagine the Chinese also have their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post

He should be able to pick up the NIST signal that's broadcast out of Boulder, CO. I would imagine the Chinese also have their own.
          According to NIST itself, China is a little bit outside their coverage zone.

The German based DCF77 is also out of reach. I don't know if China has their own public RF-based time signal, but I guess the Japanese JJY system will at least reach the Eastern parts of China.

Comment

I just looked up WWV and WWVH, and it says that WWVL gets into Asia. Although it was not location specific. WWVH is located in Hawaii. So it has a better chance of reaching Asia. WWVL is also a VLF signal at about 20KHZ.

Comment

Thanks to all replies.
              We have a long time close-down in Shanghai where I live, just begin to work,so I make the reply.
              Finally,I setup an internet and use a NTP server that offer by Chinese goverment association.All works nice.

Comment

To pick this up - a colleague is operating a few DSS200. Yesterday, he corrected secure time through the GUI, within approx 2min, so, within the DCI allowance.The correction was taken - but after a reboot, the time is wrong again for all servers. According to him, there are no NTP servers configured currently.

I'm waiting for a response as to wether the time is off by the same amount on all servers (that would still hint to some NTP delivering wrong time). As they use a few DSS200, they probably use one as a TMS light Dolby style?

edit: Looks as if all servers are off by the same amount. I told him to try the correction again first on the Master/TMS machine.
                Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 10-29-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Do these servers use the cat862 (internal media block) or cat645 (IMB)? If the latter, you can adjust it manually. I will email you the instruction sheet, as it contains login credentials (against forum rules to post).

Comment

They all use CAT862. If the GUI allows to set the secure clock within DCI ruling - why is it reset after a reboot? I can only assume that there IS a sync to the DSS200 TMSlite master machine still running in the background, even if no NTP is configured on the secure clock adjustment dialog.
                    Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 11-01-2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

In the DSS line of servers, there are multiple clocks at play. The Secure Clock (DSP100, CAT862 or CAT745) is strictly for KDM times. The only time the server accesses that clock for the show clock is upon boot up. It will FIRST see if the NTP source is there and if not, it then checks the secure clock, if it is there, it will set to that...if the secure clock is not there, then the BIOS clock remains unchanged. The server has always run the shows off of its BIOS clock. If there is a good NTP, then the BIOS clock is updated with the time of the NTP. This is why rebooting a DSS server will reset the show clock, presuming the secure clock was accurate (the DSP100 was VERY accurate, the CAT862 is reasonably accurate, the CAT745 is less accurate than a sun dial). There is a script in the SSH CLI where you can tell the DSS200 to never set the BIOS clock off of the CAT745 (I think that came in 4.9 but it might have been there in later 4.8 versions).

Here is another tidbit. If you have a TMS, like the DSL100 or DSL200. The clock that shows is always the DSL's clock while in TMS mode. However, the show clock remains the individual DSS server's BIOS clock. If you have screens that start early or late compared to the clock showing in the upper-left (via the DSL), then you don't have good NTP and the individual server has drifted.

If a DSS server is drifting wildly on its own (and there isn't a bogus "NTP" source it is referencing on bootup (like a PC used as an NTP source that has no valid NTP), then that is an indication of a BIOS battery that is draining. DSS servers that do wacky things on boot up (or don't boot up properly) can also be due to very low BIOS battery (not quite low enough that the turn on on power resume is forgotten but also not strong enough to boot things up properly).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                        The DSP100 was VERY accurate, the CAT862 is reasonably accurate, the CAT745 is less accurate than a sun dial).
                        Great line about the CAT745! Got me digging into sundials. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial indicates that a heliochronometer​ is a sundial that corrects for the equation of time resulting in an accuracy within one minute throughout the year. Good enough for KDMs!

Comment

Which proves Steve's claim, because the cat745 will run forward between one and two hours a year if left unpowered for the entire time. Unless the projector it's installed in has its card cage powered up 24/7, it is impossible to keep a cat745 within the DCI budget without manual intervention.

Comment

Working...
                          X