Full Container question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Container question

I just converted a short we got in to DCP. It is a 4096X2000 ratio. I made it into a (C) full frame DCP. On the Christie projector, there is only a 2K, 2048X1080 file. There is no 4K, 4096X2160 file. The closest I have is the 3996X2160 file. Any ideas?

A 2K projector can't really use a 4K PCF. Barco 2K do come with 4K stuff because the boards will work in 2K and 4K but the 4K files don't get used in a 2K unit. Since you don't have any 4K settings I have to assume you have a 2K projector.
    The server scales 4K content to 2K if it is a 2K projector, you should not have any problem. No change needed in the projector. In flat it will be slightly letterboxed.

Comment

Does your conversion program offer anything slightly under 2048 X 1080? Then you could make a preset just for that movie.

Comment

The Christie projector is a 4K projector. I used DCP o Matic so I could scale it down but figured I would get the benefit of the whole file if I converted to Full Frame.

Comment

If you can't create your own PCF, then just use the 3996*2160 and live with the little bit of side cropping.

Another option would be to scale it down to fit into a 4k flat container. PCF is one thing, but what about your screen AR and masking options?

Our masking is very flexible, and I do create non-standard AR DCPs regularly, but follow it with our masking. When I create DCPs that are expected to run in other cinemas, I stick with standard aspect ratios.

- Carsten
          Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 11-19-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Using the full container here gains you the affirmation that you did not alter the original content in any way, and to some people that is meaningful. But aside from that, the practical, technical benefits (light and resolution) you might gain by using full container rather than the flat container are extremely minimal.

It also means you need to think about the best situation for your physical masking, align your ILS file, and adjust your screen file for this custom format. And then consider that you may need to smoothly transition between standard formats and this custom format, depending on the rest of your show.

What model Christie projector are you using?

Comment

No problem here with AR or maskings. We are capable of any configuration on that end. I do hate to scale it, because as said, the film maker will bitch about, rightfully so. The projector is a CP4220. I just don't understand why it has a file for 2K full container but not 4K.

Comment

Often, these files are used for masking/screen setup only and a 2k version is sufficient for this. You should be able to create your own.

Comment

Still not sure specifically what type of file you're talking about... screen file or source file? Or PCF? Or channel in general? I'm not in the habit of using PCF's on a Christie. But there should be a 4096x2160 unmasked screen file because the unmasked ones are read-only by default. My guess is source files would be the same way.

But like Carsten said, you can make your own if it's not there. Open one up that's close to what you want, change it to what you're looking for, save it as a new name, and then call that new file from the channel you're trying to use.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was indeed talking about the source file. I did just find the tab to create your own file so I'm good now. I just thought it a bit strange that the "pre made" source files that came with the projector had a 2K file but not a 4K file for it. All good now.

Comment

Working...
                    X