No announcement yet.

"MASS" > Aspect Ratio Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is interesting that they do provide a black transition. 7-seconds is plenty for Christie (which can do it in well under 5-seconds), probably not quite enough for Barco and less than half what NEC would need.

As for the TCC, you'd need to create a dedicated template, just for this movie (though you could make it more generic, I suppose). Make/use a suitable "marker" for the format change and then locate the offset as per the feature. I did something similar for the High Frame Rate The Hobbit. The client uses Dolby 3D with Barco projectors. They wanted to run 3D trailers...which would be at 24fps. We needed the system to switch to 48fps when the feature began. I created special macros in the projectors that did nothing but change the 3D file to Dolby48 and fired those macros at the required transition point.

The TCC normally doesn't allow one to add their own automation markers (they did provide for adding content markers, easily, from within Templates and one can modify automation markers...hence there may be one that you are not using that your could re-purpose, like Player-Pause). However, one CAN add all of the Volume cues they want. So, in addition to quite a few conventional Volume cues (e.g. 5.0, 5.5...etc.) I have things like "Volume_3DCHANGE48"...which is a cue I can throw in on any template. There are others like "Volume_ADS" which allows me to have a specific Ads cue...which was more important before they expanded (to the nth degree) the "Preshow" segments. The PITA to add automation markers in the TCC is having to run the spreadsheets again but you only have to run the first two pages, cfg-site, cfg-theater (which shouldn't change) and the one with the Volume cues (cfg-volume). If one is using volume cues, like we do, then I make these non-volume markers way down at the bottom of the list (sequence-id).

Now, I've never tried putting in a large quantity of seconds into the template, which is what would be need to offset the cue enough. The cue offset doesn't seem like it has an upper limit so putting in say 4500 seconds (1.25 hours) might work. You'd have to experiment to ensure that everything is accounted for, like the transition black and all but I think it is doable. Probably not worth it for a 1-off screening though.

Comment

It's still amateur hour... if you want to have a hard transition in AR for whatever reason and are willing to put in 7 seconds of black, why not split the feature into two separate DCPs, label the first one "Part 1" and the other one "Part 2", both correctly labeled and containerized? Provide some instructions that both parts are to be played with minimal interval between them and while you're at it, you can also write a little motivation why you want to have the movie presented this way...

Comment

Working...
      X