Adjust time on Sony Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjust time on Sony Projector

Our Sony Projector (R515) is running about 6 minutes fast. When we installed it, many years ago now, we had to adjust the time zone which required a call to the Sony NOC and some command line work.
    I don't think that is an option anymore. Any advice would be appreciated. What are my options for servicing this beast now that Sony is out of the business?

It's been a long time but I believe you have to set up an NTP like any other server. Is the projector on a network where the internet is accessible?

Comment

It's easy to adjust the 515 back up to 6min within one year (as on every DCI compliant server/media block)- but you need maintenance/installer/super user rights to access that menu.

System->Server info->Date/Time

Yes, NTP can be configured as well, but, at least in our case, the clock is stable enough to just let it run free.

- Carsten

Attached Files

Comment

Six minutes (300 seconds) in every year is the DCI "budget" for being able to adjust a media block's secure clock without intervention from the manufacturer. If a clock drifts "out of budget" (which most likely happens when a NTP server was never set up to sync with when the projector/server/media block was first installed, and the problem only comes to light when the clock has drifted so far that TMS schedules are starting shows at what is noticeably the wrong time), you need help from the manufacturer to reset it. Different manufacturers do this in different ways: Dolby and Barco/Cinionic will email you a patch that will enable a one-time out of budget clock change on the next sync with a Stratum 0 or 1 NTP server, whereas GDC insist on Teamviewer-ing into an affected server and making the correction via command lines and SSH (this can be a logistical problem if the booth involved does not have Internet access to the projection LAN). I don't know how Sony deals with this, but if your clock has drifted by more than 299 seconds from UTC, their help will be needed.

Comment

As long as we're discussing SONYs (which I haven't had a whole lot of experience with) - - I've received a small USB type drive from an independent distributor which is not recognized by any of the 6 Sony servers I've tired it on. Upon further investigation I've discovered the drive it's on is formatted ExFAT.
          > Do the SONYs not like ExFat formatted drives?
          My next step would be to take it down to the main TMS library serverthingy in the basement, but I don't have time to do that today. (Fortunately, my show is still abt 10days away)
          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 11-08-2021, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Jim: Yes, not a lot of cinema servers support exFAT. Sony's will support FAT32, NTFS, and the ext's. Maybe more but that's what I know to work.

Either ingest onto your TMS or use a computer to transfer to a drive formatted for a Sony. Beware of FAT32's file size limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
              It's easy to adjust the 515 back up to 6min within one year (as on every DCI compliant server/media block)- but you need maintenance/installer/super user rights to access that menu.

System->Server info->Date/Time

Yes, NTP can be configured as well, but, at least in our case, the clock is stable enough to just let it run free.

- Carsten

Carsten, that worked perfectly. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, John - that's what I figured. Since this title is only playing once for a special event, and I didn't feel like going 3 floors down to the library server in the basement and ingesting into the TMS library sever down there, before I went home last night I left the ExFat drive plugged into a desktop computer in the booth and was transferring content over to a spare NTFS formatted drive that I've used before. When I go in tomorrow, I'll take that drive up to the actual auditorium and ingest it directly into the sonydigitalserverthingy up there.

Comment

As far as I know, the only server supporting ExFAT for ingest is the Dolby DSS200/220. Don't know for the DSS100.

Comment

Working...
                  X