Reavon blu-ray players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reavon blu-ray players

Has anyone have had experience with Reavon blu-ray players. I've heard rumors they are the new Oppo (even the same chip). No blu-say player has the dual HDMI video out anymore, but if this is the new Oppo, would it replace Sony / Panasonic?

It is a consumer player and only the UBR-X200 really replaces an Oppo (the 200 has analog outputs plus RS232 for control. I have not checked to see if it has s sufficient Ethernet control or not).

We are, currently, using the Tascam BD-MP1 and BD-MP4K. (1080p and 4K respectively). They are only 1U tall and inherently rackmounted (but it is a tight fit). They both have analog outputs, including mixdown). I've used Monoprice 1x2 Video DAs to get the second output of Oppo yore. And, more aggressively, a combination of a matrix switcher (Extron 4x2, 8x4 and even a goFanco 4x4) with an Atlona audio decoder to get a 2-channel mixdown for preview while maintaining high bit rate audio.

https://tascam.com/us/product/bd-mp1/top

https://tascam.com/us/product/bd-mp4k/top

If you are into Q-SYS, we, and others, have developed components for them too for easier control, without remotes. Unless this Reavon really gets the Oppo following (which could be tricky given the state of physical media's market, I'd be less inclined to seek a consumer solution as those markets tend to be more volatile than commercial.

Comment

Have you noticed any video degredation using a 1x2 video splitter, or is it unnoticeable?

Comment

Like with all things processing digital signals, it either works or it doesn't. What kind of quality degradation should there be with a digital video splitter, unless it's also a "scaler"?

The UBR-X200 is pricier than both the Sony UBP-X1000ES and Tascam BD-MP4K and both models do fit in a 19" rack (more or less elegantly), so I don't see any real point in using the UBR-X200 from "Reavon", a brand I have never really heard of before.

Comment

We have used the UBP-X1100ES and it is a decent performing Blu-ray player. It's rackmount is goofy and sits proud of the rack by about 5mm due to how they made it. Sony seems to go out of their way to not provide documentation on its communication. What documentation I found on it, for Ethernet doesn't allow much to get bi-directional information but I can seen commands. The RS232 sheet I have on it would provide for bi-directional info but I have not tested it as we considered it a stop-gap measure until a player like the Tascam came out. The Tascam has full documentation and one can do decent enough stuff with it, control wise.

As Marcel states, a 1x2 splitter/DA either works or it doesn't. Likewise for a switcher. A key issue in the 4K world is being able to send 4K to a 4K projector but only 1080p to a preview monitor. This could require a downscaler. We have used one by Monoprice (it is really a splitter with downscaler as well as the goFanco 4x4 matrix switcher that automatically will do a 1080p downscale. Since we are an Extron dealer, Extron has a good HDMi scaler...however, believe it or not, the amount of money used on that preview monitor far exceeds what it takes to get the image and sound out of the main program (we are downscaling the image and downscaling the audio to accommodate a 1080/2-channel preview). Why? Because nobody wants a HUGE preview monitor and getting 1080 monitor still has one at 22" wide or a little wider than a typical rack.

Comment

Working...
          X