GDC: 4k element in 3d playlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDC: 4k element in 3d playlist

Here's a limitation that I never knew about.

I set up my 3D No Time To Die playlist this afternoon and went to play it; sat down to watch the movie, it hit my first trailer (4k Dune) and blammo. No show.

"4k element in 3d playlist" brought the whole thing to a screeching halt.

Took the Dune trailer out, restarted the show and all was well.

I guess I've just been lucky before and never tried to put a 4k trailer onto a 3d playlist, since it's never come up until now.

No 4k trailers allowed in 3d playlists. Lesson learned, message received.

If there's no 2k trailer available, DCP-o-matic will convert 4k to 2k in a simple process.

Comment

Well, I guess it paints a picture of how much 3D is not really a thing anymore those days, because I was utterly confused by "I set up my 3D No Time To Die playlist", but then I realized this "newish" Bond thing actually got a 3D conversion, the first 3D bond ever, now, if that's nothing to die for, what is?

But yeah, it's pretty normal for Series 1 and early Series 2 setups to bork on 4K items in a 3D playlist, although I suspect that this is more of a laziness in the implementation than a real technical constraint, as rendering a 4K DCP to 2K shouldn't cost any extra performance, no matter if in 2D or 3D mode.

While the latest generations of projectors and players should technically be able to do 3D in 4K, I'm not sure if it was ever done for a feature, other than the non-DCI compliant "special" release of Gemini Man.

Comment

I've had several people come to No Time to Die who had no idea that it was 3d until they got here. Having said that, they were also really happy to discover it.

"Gosh, Bond in 3d. Who'da thought we would get to see that! Cool", and so on.

It's certainly an "old guy" movie, though. I don't think even 10% of the audience for it is under 50 years old. I guess the young ones don't care much about Bond any more. But everyone who comes to see it thinks it's great, so there is that.

Comment

Working...
        X