Interesting in buying a Barco Laser 4K Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting in buying a Barco Laser 4K Projector

We are looking into acquiring a Barco Laser 4K projector, but the big stopper for us, is that we have heard that Alternative Content on laser projectors is very lackluster, does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts on it?

If you are talking about the SP4K series of Barco 4K laser, then lackluster is not the word I'd used for how they look. Technicolor is more like it. They have a wider color gammut than xenon. Where I critique their look most is that they don't look "natural"...again, more technicolor.

The SP4K series can take in HDMI 2.0 and can handle HDR (licensed feature, for some reason). The HDMI 2.0 can be either via an ICMP-X server or via the ICP-D if using a Dolby or GDC server and those servers also have HDMI 2.0 input options for alternative content.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Freeman View Post
      we have heard that Alternative Content on laser projectors is very lackluster, does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts on it?
      I have not found the light source to be an issue with cinema or alternative content. Laser as a light source depending on if it is Blue Phosphor or RGB can introduce its own flavor of characteristics, each has its own pros and cons. Regarding Barco, their Alchemy server offers an HDMI input for alternative content and if you purchase the HDR license it will give you the proper gamma curve for HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
        If you are talking about the SP4K series of Barco 4K laser, then lackluster is not the word I'd used for how they look. Technicolor is more like it. They have a wider color gammut than xenon. Where I critique their look most is that they don't look "natural"...again, more technicolor.
        I'd second this, everything definitely has a 'laser' look to it on ours, including alternative content. I suppose someone could set the macros up wonkily for the HDMI inputs and cause what you describe?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
          The SP4K series can take in HDMI 2.0 and can handle HDR (licensed feature, for some reason).
          There is a workaround, if you already have a high end scaler (e.g. Lumagen Radiance Pro). The ICMP+, ICMP-X, and ICP-D will accept DCI P3 HDMI input without a license, but not Rec. 2020. So if the scaler can covert Rec. 2020 to DCI, that will give you HDR that is almost as high as Rec. 2020, but without needing to buy the license key from Barco. However, if you don't already have a scaler with this capability, the license will be cheaper.

Comment

Yeah, those Lumagen Radiance Pro's are no joke when it comes down to price and their performance, frankly, is debatable. (We have one.) Also, I'm pretty sure the HD Fury Vertex2 can also map Rec. 2020 into DCI-P3.

Comment

Nevertheless, they seem to be an absolute favorite of high end home theater installers, on the Bel-Air Circuit at least. Given their price, I find it bizarre that they can only be configured via an LCD remote and an interface that looks like 1980s Teletext - no web UI.

I'll experiment with my Vertex: if it really can convert Rec. 2020 to DCI, then for $300, it blows the cost of an HDR ICP-D license out of the water. Only problem is just two inputs and outputs. But with two HDMI inputs on the ICP-D, a setup whereby all the Rec. 709 sources went through a regular scaler into HDMI A, but the HDR ones (e.g. Crapple TV and a HDR BD player) went through the Vertex, should work.

Comment

Working...
              X