Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEC NC2500s & NEC NC1600C-A running GDC 2100A Server (Continued from Archive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The move to 7/8 for HI/VI long predates the use of CAT cables in cinemas for AES. As in before IMBs came into the scene.

Comment

Initially, there were a lot of servers with just 8ch analog out. Also 8ch DACs. And the DSS never offered software routing. So what do you do with HI/VI on 15/16?

- Carsten

Comment

Update: I finally was able to get a Dolby DSS100 Show Player and Show Store up and running. It took a lot of effort to get it going only because we had a few problems finding an unit that fully operational . However if finally happened. I have been running it the past 4 weeks. We did go ahead and update my GDC 2100A with all the proper upgrades in the proper order of each other to get that server up an running. We found out that I did have a Gore board. Unfortunately we also eventually found out the battery on the Gore board was 10 years old and we assume that the battery is dead as well as the board too?? We could never get the GDC to connect with my series one projector. The Gore Board did not appear to have a battery lead?? Are these boards repairable or just toast like everything else in this digital cinema world? Thanks for the help along the way

Comment

I guess if you're not paying GDC for support, you're out of luck getting the thing re-certed by GDC, but I guess it cannot hurt to have some backup hardware, especially since you're running on a "stone-aged" DSS100 now. So, if I'd were you I'd ask my local GDC representitive what it would cost to have the battery replaced and the certificate put back in there. I know they can do it, but they may refuse so, because the thing is EOL and probably not covered by any still valid support agreement.
          Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 06-16-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

We actually do pay GDC for support. A lot of drive In theaters operate on old technology due to our limited 6 month seasons running only 2-3 days a week. The Dolby was recommended to me due to its off the shelf parts and super long certificates. Besides, with a Series one projector, newer servers are most likely unworkable with out a Gore. My GDC was running just fine. However the Certificate is only 10 years on GDC. The Gore board is not part of GDC. The batteries and the certificate have been replaced and re certified too.

Comment

Sorry, I misread your post. If your GORE board is dead, then that will probably be the end of it. The thing is literally made to disintegrate just by looking at it the wrong way.

Comment

I don’t think it is worth $3k to put a used Gore board in the machine. I can purchase 2-3 Dolby DSS servers fir $3k. 10 year old NEC projector.

Comment

So, when and how did you learn that your gore board is 'dead'? When it came out of winter storage/shut down? I have no experience with series1 electronics and in how far they depend on working batteries. I wouldn't give up yet.
                  Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 06-16-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

How have you determined that the gore board is totally dead? It could be that it only lost the certificate. If you are able, log into the board with the DLP control program. Then go to the test tab and hit the “retrieve certificate” button. If that fails and you have no other issues, there is a pretty simple procedure to load a new certificate and you are in business.

Comment

Working...
                    X