Bond movie vacates 2020 in latest sucker punch to theaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bond movie vacates 2020 in latest sucker punch to theaters

Well, "No Time to Die" has been pushed back to April, according to a Variety article:

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...21-1234790944/

Might as well just shut-er-down until Christmas Day when Wonder Woman swoops in, but I am not holding my breath on that standing either.

I think March is when we will actually start seeing major releases again

Comment

My opinion: With dreadful ticket sales, Tenet failing (but I think J. B. would do a lot better than that mess) no studio will release a major high budget movie until all markets are open and an effective vaccine has been widely available for a while.
      Regardless of what certain compulsive liar politicians say, vaccines are still months away. New case counts are spiking now in many cities so full cinemas ... even open at all cinemas ... are not coming back soon.

Comment

Depends on the vaccine. That's all. We have to get this virus to the point where nobody gives a shit if they get it, like the "regular" flu. Once we reach that point, then things will start to normalize. It's probably going to take longer than March for a vax to be developed, tested for side effects, manufactured, distributed, and get enough people to take it.

By then, the studios may well have shifted all the movies to TV and we'll be screwed as an industry. If we aren't already.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
          ....... By then, the studios may well have shifted all the movies to TV and we'll be screwed as an industry. If we aren't already.
          I would, if I owned a theatre, be fully prepared for that already. Even IF major releases resume early next year (I seriously doubt they will) too many cinemas will have gone under by then, and those that try to reopen on the already slim margins that theatres make, will be so deep in debt that it will only be delaying the inevitable.

The only survivors I see are those who actually own free and clear the building AND land, and have been able to keep up with taxes and preservative maintenance, and the chains who are willing to write off the enormous losses and struggle on.

The only ray of hope otherwise is that the studios set aside their greed and let theatres operate with a 60/40 (or better) theatre to studio ticket split until they recover financially. I think we all know the odds of THAT happening.

Comment

There's a magic number somewhere, when there are too few theatres left to make a theatrical release worthwhile for the movie companies to bother.

But I don't see how the movie companies themselves could survive without theatres, either.

Comment

I've always thought that there would be nothing stopping exhibition from financing and showing content and that people eventually will always enjoy a night out, but yes, the issue now is how do enough venues survive the hysteria and outright bans on operating? We're not foolish enough to think our drive-in could survive any sort of mass indoor theatre apocalypse. Yes, we were able to push through enough people this year wanting a night out for old movies at low %'s to make it ok, but there's no way we survive long-term without new product. Probably a great time to design and plan for mini-storage or some other suitable use for 10 acres of highway commercial that is sadly located in the boonies.

Comment

Cineworld to Close All Regal Cinemas, U.K. Venues in Response to ‘No Time to Die’ Delay

https://variety.com/2020/film/global...nd-1234791728/

Comment

Working...
                X