X-box on a theater screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-box on a theater screen

I've had a person ask about renting the theater for a party in which the kids will play X-box for a couple of hours. I've never done this before, nor have I ever even seen an X-box up close. So I'm curious how I would need to work it in the theater.

Can I plug the x-box unit in in the booth and use the controllers in the auditorium or does the box need to be near the controllers?

I assume x-box has an HDMI output for sound...?

Any hints, tips, procedures or pitfalls would be appreciated.

We have a good HDMI transmitter (hooks up to xbox or whatever) and receiver (hooks up to projector in booth) that do that kind of job for us. Back in the day we had an HDMI over ethernet solution that worked as well. As to plugging the xbox directly into the projector,I dont think the xbox controllers would work well from auditorium to booth if they have to transmit through walls. Best bet is a decent transmitter and receiver pair.

Comment

We've had clients use the HDMI ports we put in the theatre for gaming. Just know...there are inherent lags in the DCinema projector as well as most any transmitter/receiver system. For the casual user, it probably is of no issue...for the serious gamer, they'd probably pitch a fit.

Comment

How it works will depend on the type of cinema server and audio processor you are using. If you have a GDC SR-1000, the gaming system (XBOX, SWITCH, PLAYSTATION 3, 4,5) can plug directly into it and pass the sound like running a Blu-Ray player. However, if you have an older SX-2000 (or other older brand) you may want to use one of these:

J-Tech 1080p to HDMI + Audio Extractor and Converter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIQER0E..._ap_share&th=1

It splits the AUDIO and VIDEO. The great thing about this one is that it has SDIF, which allows for optical audio. Some of those game systems have an optical audio out port. Which elevates the sound experience.

Another key component is the wireless controllers. They'll need them in the auditorium to play the games. I typically set the game system up as near to the port glass as I can.

I have tested every major gaming system (Xbox 360, Series S and X, Playstation 3, 4, 5, Nintendo Switch, and a a Nintendo Wii). They all worked with no issues. We even had a Call of Duty Gaming tournament at one of our locations. It went over very well.

As always though, I recommend the person bringing their system in ahead of time for testing. We've had people bring extremely beat-up systems that had broken components.

Comment

Playstation 5 and Xbox Series S/X provide wireless controllers, based on bluetooth. But even if we put the console in the screening room, the bluetooth signal won't make it to the controllers the front of the auditorium. So this is something to keep in mind. We're using an active optical cable rated at 4K/60FPS now between the booth and the front of the screening room. In the past we used a passive HDMI-over-UTP solution, but the results were disappointing. The active HDMI solution works pretty well with most devices. If you have a 4K projector, you can also benefit from the 4K capabilities of the latest platforms.

Both Xbox and Playstation deliver amazing PCM surround sound via HDMI. I'm not entirely sure about the PS 5, but the Xbox Series X can use an alternative HDMI to output the sound. We generally route everything over one HDMI cable and split audio and video using a HD Fury Vertex2. We also use this same Vertex to resolve HDCP and HDMI EDID handshaking issues, which, unfortunately can be expected.

For stuff like gaming, we tend to bypass server/IMS HDMI and use the projector HDMI, as this tends to reduce latency. We've never had any complaints from any gamers on our Barco DP4K-23B, regarding latency.

If you want to hold a competition, people usually want to play on a smaller screen. In that case, you'll need to mirror that screen towards your projector. While gaming on such a large screen is pretty immersive, it's not the preferred way for competitive players to play most of their games. If you look at professional competitions you'll see that everybody plays on their own "rig".

B.T.W.: Make sure you have spare batteries for the controllers and everybody returns the controller after he/she is done with his/her session.

Comment

This what we use in most of our locations and they behave flawlessly https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24281

Comment

Keep in mind there are some copyright issues with game studios too.... for a private rental event you are probably fine. But if it was a "public" tournament they might take notice and have issues. Some studios are more known for that than others. Just be sure that liability rests with whoever is promoting/hosting the event, and not your cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                B.T.W.: Make sure you have spare batteries for the controllers and everybody returns the controller after he/she is done with his/her session.
                During one of the first gigs I ran at Mercyhurst, the performer brought his own wireless microphone. I offered him batteries for his mic but he said that his were good. Stupidly, I believed him and half way through the show, the mic went dead and the fit hit the shan!

Since that day, we had a new rule: Every electronic device used on stage, during a show, would be required to have brand new batteries installed, fresh from the box, immediately after the sound check was over, before the curtain goes up. I worked there for more than fifteen years and there was never another incident like that.

I agree! Always check batteries before the gig goes on!

Comment

This what we use in most of our locations and they behave flawlessly https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24281​
                  What is the reason for using this instead of just running a long HDMI cable to the booth?

We do have a SR1000 GDC server and an Trinnov Ovation 2 audio processor. Barco SP4k projector.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post

What is the reason for using this instead of just running a long HDMI cable to the booth?

We do have a SR1000 GDC server and an Trinnov Ovation 2 audio processor. Barco SP4k projector.
                    The main reason is run length. Without an "active" (such as fiber converted) HDMI cable, your hdmi 2.0 run length limit is 5-15m without a signal repeater. With a repeater you might be able to get 30 meters. These type of dumb "balun" devices can get you 50m over cat5. Plus it's invisible to HDCP, unlike converting to other formats such as SDI or video over IP etc. Note that solution requires a cat5 dry line, but many venues may have one already, this is not a routable signal through your network etc.

Considering your gear, you'll have to break the audio stream out at some point with a dis-embedder, cause I don't see a way to process the xbox audio other than getting it into spdif, coax, or stereo RCA for the Aux ins on the Trinnov. Cheap stereo audio extractors are a everywhere, but if you want full 7.1 or ATMOS passthru you'll have to shop around.

This *might* be a good one, it's a bit trial and error with these consumer ones, and expect some additional latency in the signal path.
                    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._embedder.html

If you want to keep everything 4K choose your gear wisely with that goal in mind.

If you have to strip HDCP that is it's own topic, some of the cheaper extractors will do it because they disobey the requirement. Ones that do it tend to come and go in the market. Converting to DVI at the projector might be the most reliable, but perhaps giving up the 4K in the process.

We have a 4k extractor that will at least do 5.1 over SPDIF, that also strips HDCP, but I don't have the model info handy at home ATM.

Comment

One addition. Older models Xboxes at least gave you toslink audio output... appears like so many things, they've gone HDMI only in the latest versions. So extraction is the only option unless your audio processor has HDMI inputs. Would be cool if consoles added support for Dante or some other routable network audio. One can dream!!!

In a quick google, some people figured out they can use their TV as the disembedder, passing the audio through an optical out (depending on TV settings).
                      HDMI IN->TV->SPDIF OUT
                      That could work if you added an HDMI splitter, and give you a booth monitor of the action too. lol
                      Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 04-03-2024, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I can plug a Blu-Ray player into our GDC server's HDMI port and get sound out of it, so would the receiver/transmitter setup Gordon linked to allow me to use HDMI that way?

Comment

Apologies, All the above was not realizing the SR1000 will actually decode and output 5.1 and 7.1 audio from the HDMI input.
                          That might be the simplest approach to try first.

Then you are back to just that HDMI over Cat5 balun, with possibly an Xbox audio setting to tweak?

From the installation manual:
                          15.5.1 HDMI Input SR-1000 allows direct input of 7.1 channel PCM audio via HDMI IN port on the IMB. The HDMI output of the source needs to be set to LPCM audio format

EDIT: You can tell i'm stuck with Doremi and a DVI inputs on a Christie. No such modern conveniences here like an IMB with audio handling on the alt inputs!!
                          Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 04-03-2024, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                            I can plug a Blu-Ray player into our GDC server's HDMI port and get sound out of it, so would the receiver/transmitter setup Gordon linked to allow me to use HDMI that way?
                            By bypassing your GDC server and splitting the audio via a splitter device like the thing Gordon linked or the Vertex I mentioned, you can reduce latency somewhat. Your GDC server will add some extra latency. I'm not sure about the splitter Gordon mentioned, but the HD Fury stuff has been optimized for minimum latency. Latency between player input and what's on screen is something that can kill gameplay, especially for hardened players.

If you do a proper audio split (like with the HD Fury stuff), and not going the TOSLINK route, you also get the benefit of full uncompressed 8-channel audio. Another option would be running a second HDMI cable to the game console and using this one as audio output. The surround field of some of those games is pretty amazing, you've got a high-end audio processor... use it!

Like Ryan indicated: A normal HDMI cable will not make it from the front of the auditorium all the way back to the booth, you need a "repeated solution". Those using fiber, can go about as far as you want, but they obviously come as a premium. I would recommend using a plain HDMI connection though and not a HDMI over Ethernet solution, as this will reduce quality and incur extra lag. Those things are generally fine for business presentations, but not for gaming. Also, you've got a 4K projector, try to get the most out of that, use a proper HDMI connection that supports 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

By bypassing your GDC server and splitting the audio via a splitter device like the thing Gordon linked or the Vertex I mentioned, you can reduce latency somewhat. Your GDC server will add some extra latency. I'm not sure about the splitter Gordon mentioned, but the HD Fury stuff has been optimized for minimum latency. Latency between player input and what's on screen is something that can kill gameplay, especially for hardened players.
                              For accuracy, Gordon only linked a Monoprice HDMI over RJ45 extender. It does not have an audio disembedder... so only a partial solution if trying to avoid the GDC processor latency. HDFury stuff is certainly some of the better options for audio extraction if you need more than two channels.

But for serious gamers/tournament... they would want a local 1440p high refresh-rate monitor anyway... and the big screen would just be for the audience. The latency might be tolerable for an audience. I've worked several Esports type events, and audience display is always secondary to the user displays. It usually involves an audio stripper and fairly professional scaler/splitter per console to get the signals into a format the broadcast/presentation gear can handle, while the gamer enjoys the premium low latency high refresh rate version on their individual monitors.

If not doing e-sports level stuff, it might be passable for "enjoyment" even with the GDC latency in the loop.

Comment

Working...
                              X