No announcement yet.

"Alamo Drafthouse Arizona Theatres File For Bankruptcy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You missed the whole point Lyle! Bye!!! Let us all know what Covid is like...

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post
      It doesn't matter how many positive cases there are. What matters most is the age of the cases. 85% of the deaths in Florida are people 65 and over.
      Lyle, I find your ageism as offensive as racism and anti-semitism. Protecting the most vulnerable in our society is a basic American value, and while we, as a society, have not always lived up the ideal, your post that implies "who cares, they are just old people" is beyond offensive.

What really matters most is how many positive cases there are, which will indicate how many people could potentially be exposed and infected. Remember, 3 ½ months ago, there were only 2 known cases in the entire country.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
        You missed the whole point Lyle! Bye!!! Let us all know what Covid is like...

Let me know what it is like living in negative land and unnecessarily destroying the worldwide economy and ruining the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

Originally posted by Mitchell Dvoskin View Post

Lyle, I find your ageism as offensive as racism and anti-semitism. Protecting the most vulnerable in our society is a basic American value, and while we, as a society, have not always lived up the ideal, your post that implies "who cares, they are just old people" is beyond offensive.

What really matters most is how many positive cases there are, which will indicate how many people could potentially be exposed and infected. Remember, 3 ½ months ago, there were only 2 known cases in the entire country.

It isn't ageism. It is a fact about the disease. The mortality rate is many times higher for people 65 and over and gets worse the older the patient.

Did I say we should get all 65+ year old people infected so that a few percent can die? The point is that you can protect the most vulnerable while having a relatively normal life for everybody else. In Florida, if the virus is kept out of nursing homes, there will be half of the deaths going forward. The reason the number of cases doesn't matter is because if the infected are young they are very unlikely to end up dying from COVID.

You either misunderstood me or are very easily offended. Talking about the statistical facts of a disease and how it effects various age groups is not on the same planet as racism or anti-semitism.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post
          The reason the number of cases doesn't matter is because if the infected are young they are very unlikely to end up dying from COVID.
          And those younger people will interact with both older people and people of all ages who have the underlying conditions (diabetes, cancer treated or not, cardiac disease, HIV, etc.), and infect and possibly cause their death. It is well documented that older people are not getting the serious version because they are old, but because they have more underlying condition, and those underlying conditions affect everyone regardless of age.

While shutting down the economy may not turn out to have been the best solution, and is certainly worth politicians and doctors discussing going forward, it is a solution that has proven to work. So unless someone has a better solution, here is where we are at.

Comment

Lyle... That Covid sure is spiking big time in lots of States!

Comment

As mentioned in another thread, based on a CDC resource pointed out by Lyle, I've started a graph of total US deaths versus expected deaths. It's at http://hallikainen.org/cv/ . Another thing I think would be interesting to plot would be age at time of death. I suspect that in the past few months, the age at time of death has decreased, but how much?

Comment

Working...
              X