Titanic in 2D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic in 2D?

My wife wants to see Titanic again, but it looks like all the local showings are in 3D. Is this only being released in 3D? If so, she'll skip it.

I think you can also see it in 4-DX, where they'll fill the theater with fog & spray salt water
    in your face and the motion control seats will actually make you feel like you're on a sinking ship.

> FYI: The actual Titanic sank in less time than it takes to sit through this movie!

Comment

If they are using regular (polarized) glasses you can get two pairs and swap the lenses to make a pair of 2-D glasses.

I've done this, before, when I don't want to watch a 3-D movie in actual 3-D.

Comment

To answer the original question: it is a 3-D only release.

This movie has not aged as well as one would think. I don’t really have any desire to watch it anymore, even though I really liked it when we first had it.

Comment

Meanwhile CBS is fixing to introduce a TV series version of True Lies. Yeah, True Lies. Yet the original 1994 movie never got a proper 16x9 enhanced DVD release in the US and has never been available on Blu-ray. The Abyss has never been released those ways either, although there are rumors a new 4K digital master has been created. I don't understand the long running embargo with True Lies going onto Blu-ray. The movie was released almost 29 years ago. Does James Cameron intend to go full-on George Lucas with a bunch of digital fixes and revisions yet just hasn't managed to get around to doing that? One thing I do know: the old non-anamorphic DVD from the late 1990's is not watch-able on a big HDTV screen. Watching a non-anamorphic DVD with a heavily letter-boxed image that's also pillar-boxed is like watching a really bad YouTube video. It sucks. Even if James Cameron wants to release some "perfect" Director's Cut version of True Lies on UHD Blu-ray he is letting that desire of something "perfect" being an enemy of "pretty good."

Comment

I was never impressed with the CGI ship sinking scenes in TITANIC. Yes, I know it was 1999
            and CGI is now 1000's of times better- - but even watching it back then, I thought many of the
            scenes looked like the fakes they were, and it detracted from my total enjoyment of the flick.
            On the other hand, several years ago I had the opportunity to run/see "THE LAST VOYAGE"
            (1960) on a large screen. I recall watching it on TV many years ago when I was a kid. They
            actually sank a real ocean liner for LAST VOYAGE, and I'd say 90% or more of the 'special
            effects" were full-size practical/mechanically rigged sets and/or the actual ship itself. The
            final scene of the several of the cast members escaping as just as the ship goes down for
            the third time (well, you know what I mean...) still impresses me, since even though it was
            all 'rigged', I'm sure there was some real danger involved. Given a choice between watching
            LAST VOYAGE and sitting thorough TITANIC again, even in 70mm - I'd pick LAST VOYAGE
            hands down. It's not a perfect flick, but after seeing it again after many years, it's become one
            of my favorites. Great old-time cast too! I know it's available from several sources online. A
            friend recently watched it on my recommendation while recuperating from surgery in the hospital,
            and enjoyed every minute of it, he said.

Comment

I saw it in 70mm and blown up to that level the poor CGI (even for 1999) was painfully obvious. The shot I remember most was a long shot of the ship with people walking around the deck who looked exactly like characters from Minecraft.

Comment

For me, the quality of the special effects has never been particularly important compared to the merit of the story itself. It's sometimes a problem the other way around, when the filmmakers go overboard trying to "wow" the audience and forget that there's supposed to be a story there too.

I don't care if I can see wires hoisting the spaceship model from the planet when there's a great story.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                  I don't care if I can see wires hoisting the spaceship model from the planet when there's a great story.
                  Since we (the viewers) understand that spaceships don't actually exist, we would expect to see a model and would expect to see wires or something holding it up.

In CGI, when people try to make virtual models look too real, it spoils the effect. It's a lot like the Uncanny Valley Effect but with credulity instead of realism.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                    This movie has not aged as well as one would think. I don’t really have any desire to watch it anymore, even though I really liked it when we first had it.
                    Speak for yourself; I went 3x just to see it again on a really large screen (Regal Continental RPX in Denver) and it was wonderful and holds up perfectly.

An absolutely incredible film I am as impressed with now as on my original viewing; I never saw anything in the sinking scenes that looked or felt fake, especially as most of it was done practically.

Yes, you could pick out the CGI people on the ship, but only if you looked for them; IMHO the CGI was much worse in the last few Marvel films.

Comment

Yeah, TV is definitely no match for a big screen on that movie, well any movie, but especially one like Titanic.

I can't put my finger on why it doesn't hold the wanna-see for me that it once did.

Comment

Working...
                      X