No announcement yet.

State of Virginia looking to REQUIRE OPEN CAPTION showings during peak times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADA regs start off with good intentions as you say, Steve, but often go much too far toward the unreasonable and I imagine without much input from the business that will be impacted. (BTW, where is NATO in all of this? Right at the forefront of the issue, I see). For example, a 5 year survey that we took of the attendance at our shows, made it clear that we never had requests for more than 5 Hearing Assist headsets at any one show and 93% of our shows had no requests for headsets at all. Yet the ordinance says we have to maintain 200 headsets for our house of 2500 seats in order to meet the ADA req. Do we want to accommodate patrons with that disability, absolutely; but being forced, to buy, maintain and store such an over inflated inventory when it is demonstrable that there will never be a need for that number, is absurd.

This open caption thing is just as unreasonable; to be required to had OC shows for a house full of movie-goers, none of whom have requested or need the ADA device is just as absurd Especially when we know that OC will negatively impact everyone and diminish their enjoyment of our product to a more or less degree. We will do everything we can to make the experience of our product as enjoyable for the disabled as we can -- it's ethical, it's the right thing to do and it is also good for business, but when bureaucrats are imposing the means to do that, the business owner should have a say in how to implement it, otherwise you wind up in this type of clearly over the top situation where a whole house full of movie-goers have to needlessly be subjected to subtitles when no one in the room needs them. It's spectacularly stupid; and the what sad is, it doesn't have to be.

I think the idea of being able to easily easily turn subtitles ON or OFF for a show could go a long way to lessen the impact. The goal is, accommodate hearing impaired individuals when the need arises while NOT imposing captions on an audience unnecessarily. That will have it's own problems -- it will be a given that you will always need to inform the general public that any particular show will be open captioned; if we make that contingent upon HI patrons making the request, 15min? 30 min? before showtime, then there is no way to let patrons know that any particular show will be OC, so a group of patrons start out 20 minutes to come to the theatre thinking they are going to see a movie without OC and they get there and , whoops, it's OC. That's not good for business. A solution might be, following the ADA OC schedule, so the GP knows those shows COULD be OC, and then only turn captions on if requested by HI patrons. So most of the time, even though a screening may be in the OC scheduled time slot, more than likely it will not be.

And I still say again, big mistake putting captions imposed on the image; partially letterbox the image and then run captions in the black bar. I think that will go quite a way to making them less intrusive and not cause as much ire in patrons who are really annoyed by subtitles when the theatre will need to run them. I know the younger people in my family are totally turned off by, and just refuse to watch a subtitled movie, which mainly is because of the needing to, you know... READ, but occasionally I have turned on captions for TV shows like CROWN because I can miss dialogue because of the accent. I have to fight to keep them on, so it's not only the "I hate to have to read subtitles," but also "I hate the distraction of constantly changing text added to the image."

Using a combination of such things things when approaching the issue is a way to accommodate the HI patron, but not negatively impact the entertainment value for the general public or the exhibitor's business.

Comment

Frank, actually, for a 2500-seat theatre/complex, it would be 60 headsets for hearing impaired.

The "option" to turn captions on/off would not fly well to those that come to see a show and have no idea if they will be subjected to the captions are not.

Comment

Steve, you are right our 200 units -- they are for our full complex -- four theatres. The big theatre has 100 units -- I would be surprised if we bought 40 more than we actually needed, either way, the point is that 100 or 60 or whatever, we never once needed anywhere near those numbers. So it is a burden imposed on a business that was not intelligently conceived. No one is looking not provide service to our disabled neighbors, but let's do it in a way that's reasonable is all I am saying.

And yes, I agree, you can't spring OC on patrons without them knowing that's what they will be seeing; that would never work. I am saying, if the ordinance says you have to provide OC at certain shows, I am saying when patrons buy tickets for an OC show, de facto they are saying they are OK with visible captions. My on/off proposal just says, if no HI patrons show up before showtime for an OC designated show, then the OC can be turned off. It makes no sense adding that distraction to patrons when you know there are no individuals at that show who need the captions. ADA just needs to be sensible.

Comment

NATO has fought this a bit...that is, the reason Audio Description and Closed caption is based on screen count and not seat count was a direct result of NATO showing (with numbers) how absurd the required quantity of HI receivers were required. Too bad they couldn't roll back those numbers. Note, HI receivers are based entirely of the total seat count for the complex, not the number of seats per auditorium (unless you are going to have separate receivers for each auditorium).

Comment

By the way, a summary of all comments filed in the rulemaking on closed captioning and audio description is available at http://hallikainen.org/org/DojNprm/ . The HI requirement (Assistive Listening System) is pretty old by now. I think it was based on the percentage of the total population that had a hearing impairment. This does not necessarily correspond to the percentage of cinema patrons with hearing impairments or exclude those for whom an assistive listening system would not resolve the issue. Also, the current requirements along with links to source documents are available at http://ftp.uslinc.com/MultiProduct/A...ent_171129.pdf .

Harold

Comment

My theatre is just starting to promote TheaterEars. It's an app on your smartphone that will play a Spanish language track directly through your phone to your headphones. The app uses the mic in your phone to sync to the movie. I don't see why a similar technology couldn't be used for captioning or descriptive narration. It would potentially allow the user the ability to use whatever type of device they choose rather than depend on whatever the movie theatre can provide.

Comment

It's certainly an interesting technology! While Bring Your Own Device is certainly permissible, the ADA requirements also require you to provide "auxiliary aids" so people do not need to bring their own device. Does the application properly identify the content that is playing so that you get translations for the trailers and feature? Does it start automatically, or does the user have to do the initial synchronization (with later sync provided by the auditorium sound)? I assume users have to download the content ahead of time. Is that correct? I think studios are hesitant to have content outside the DCP. Are you finding that it is available for everything you show?

THANKS!

Harold

Comment

Does the app turn the cell phone screen off while doing its thing? Nothing worse than a phone screen glaring away in the audience while the movie is on.

Comment

They just pushed this for vote to 2021. I just got the email.

Comment

Does the application properly identify the content that is playing so that you get translations for the trailers and feature? Does it start automatically, or does the user have to do the initial synchronization (with later sync provided by the auditorium sound)? I assume users have to download the content ahead of time. Is that correct? I think studios are hesitant to have content outside the DCP. Are you finding that it is available for everything you show?
                      We utilize "Theare Ears" here at my drive-in in Tennessee for our hispanic patrons who prefer to listen to the movie dialogue in Spanish. It does NOT include or translate any preshow content such as trailers.

Basically the user opens the app and searches for a theatre near them that is showing their desired movie. A list of movies available is on the app. It does not include ALL movies, but many of the big ones are there. Once they select the theatre and the movie, there is a file the customer has to download on their phone or tablet. The audio file it downloads ONLY includes the spoken dialogue - no music, no special effect or sound effects - just talking dialogue.

Once the customer arrives at the selected theatre (the user MUST be at the theatre in order for it to work) at the chosen show time - once the actually movie starts the customer starts the app and the microphone in their device "listens" to the audio of the movie being played in the auditorium. Don't have a clue how it works, but the app then automatically syncs the Spanish sound track to the movie being played. The user MUST have earbuds, headphones, etc. in order to listen to the track. The screen on the device does NOT have to be turned on during playback, and the phone or tablet does NOT have to be connected to a data plan or WiFi during use. Its pretty amazing how it works.

I'm thinking if they can do this, there ought to be a way to scroll text to a device as well.

Comment

There are various systems using auditorium sound synchronization with downloaded content, along with Theater ears previously mentioned.

https://actiview.co/en/ - audio, captions, sign language

http://www.mylingoapp.com/ - translated audio

http://www.gretaundstarks.de/greta/GretaAndStarks - Audio and captions

https://www.theaterears.com/ - Audio

https://www.moviereading.com/#home - Audio and subtitles

Harold

Comment

Working...
                        X