No announcement yet.

Georgia to allow theatres to re-open April 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the 1,5m/2m/6 ft. rule is more or less a bare minimum, if you're doing sports or riding a roller coaster, all bets are off so to say. Sneezing, coughing, etc., can also throw infectious matter further than the recommended minimum. That's why face masks, even if they're too porous to actively filter the virus, are often advised, they are more to keep you from potentially infecting other people than helping you not to get infected...

But I do think that a drive-in cinema can operate relatively safely, if they keep some precautions in mind. Regarding what you want to play? Just play some old classics. While the market may not be ready for a full reopening of all cinemas, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there that just want a change of scenery after being locked-up at their place for weeks now.

Comment

The movie studios still have to give their okay in order for a movie theater to play older repertory content, like classics .I wonder if a movie distributor could be held liable along with the theater for audience members getting infected with SARS-CoV-2.

Comment

Yes, they have to, but I guess given the situation and the fact that the studios have ZERO income right now from their theater distribution operations, they may be more willing than ever to do so.

Holding the movie distributor accountable for coronavirus infections may be a bit of a stretch, but holding a movie theater accountable for such a thing is more likely. Still, you would need to prove you got it at that exact place, which isn't particular easy to prove without any considerable doubt. Then, you probably need to prove that the theater didn't adhere to guidelines as set forward by the local government and therefore neglectfully created a hazardous condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Henderson View Post
          I wonder if a movie distributor could be held liable along with the theater for audience members getting infected with SARS-CoV-2.
          I think it would be quite difficult to hold any venue liable for contracting a disease. It would be near impossible to tie the infection to the location with "preponderance of evidence." The plaintiff would have to prove that they didn't go anywhere else where they could have been infected. If somebody attends a movie it is likely that they are going out to many more places. They'd also have to prove that somebody who was infected at the time was there. To accomplish that, I think they would have to get the infected person to testify on their behalf but they wouldn't be allowed to compensate the witness. I don't think too many people are willing to help somebody sue with no benefit to themselves. Even finding the person who was infected would be difficult. When the health authorities do contact tracing, I don't believe they tell you who you came into contact with because that would violate HIPAA. I think they just tell you that you came into contact with somebody infected and you should isolate for 14 days.

Comment

An all-clear directive from a state governor may not over-ride local emergency orders that might still keep theaters shut on a specific location by location basis.
            The problem in Georgia is that the governor has made it clear that local authorities are not permitted to deviate from his re-opening plan.

https://www.ajc.com/news/kemp-reopen...GACOCZP0HB1HL/

Under the emergency powers granted him by the General Assembly, Kemp said the easing of business restrictions would be uniform statewide “and will be the operational standard in all jurisdictions.”

“This means local action cannot be taken that is more or less restrictive,” Kemp said, adding that officials would monitor “hot spots.”

Comment

Stupid bathrooms (and soda)! If I didn't think that I'd be seeing people peeing in the bushes, filling plastic bottles and dropping them on the ground (which occasionally happens anyway), I'd be tempted to open the drive-in with NO bathrooms. There aren't any public washrooms open in Canada right now and you know, I still don't think we will do this, but I bet you if you said "folks, arrive empty, enjoy the show, no bathrooms" that at this point, people would show up to watch older titles or classics outside their home and we'd "sell out" (reduced to half capacity) anyway. It's a silly thought, and I'm sure I won't, but they'd come.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Young View Post
                The problem in Georgia is that the governor has made it clear that local authorities are not permitted to deviate from his re-opening plan.

https://www.ajc.com/news/kemp-reopen...GACOCZP0HB1HL/
                It doesn't require the businesses to open though. If you own a movie theatre in GA, you can choose to stay closed based on the recommendation of health experts. I'm sure local officials can send businesses the strong advice of their own health officials if they wish to influence the business' decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post
                  It doesn't require the businesses to open though. If you own a movie theatre in GA, you can choose to stay closed based on the recommendation of health experts. I'm sure local officials can send businesses the strong advice of their own health officials if they wish to influence the business' decision.
                  Obviously no-one can force theaters to reopen; I was just pointing out that the local authorities can't prevent them from opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                    Yes, the 1,5m/2m/6 ft. rule is more or less a bare minimum, if you're doing sports or riding a roller coaster, all bets are off so to say. Sneezing, coughing, etc., can also throw infectious matter further than the recommended minimum. That's why face masks, even if they're too porous to actively filter the virus, are often advised, they are more to keep you from potentially infecting other people than helping you not to get infected...

But I do think that a drive-in cinema can operate relatively safely, if they keep some precautions in mind. Regarding what you want to play? Just play some old classics. While the market may not be ready for a full reopening of all cinemas, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there that just want a change of scenery after being locked-up at their place for weeks now.
                    The face masks are most useful to cover coughs or sneezes of the people that are too inconsiderate of their fellow citizens to do it under normal circumstances. It's such and easy thing to do but the number of people that just let out a big sneeze and think that bending over a little is sufficient is very disturbing.

The distance rules are kind of an educated guess average. A lot depends on the airflow of a particular environment. Most HVAC systems normally don't circulate the air continuously which probably helps a lot. Outdoors if there is any breeze at all 6 ft. is probably way more than sufficient. In a closed room heated by radiant heaters in the winter it probably is way too close. Airplanes are a lot better than perceived because not only is the air replaced very frequently, there is continuous flow and it is generally ceiling to floor.

Comment

My wife has been watching a lot of Hallmark Movies on the TV while we are confined here in Michigan. I noticed that there are a lot of movies shot in cold environments. I was noticing the vapor trails from actors mouths as they just spoke their lines. It was pretty amazing to see what comes out of a mouth with simple speech let alone during a cough or sneeze.

Many folks around here have their nose out of the mask and only cover the mouth. It seems this doesn't do the job at all.
                      Last edited by Kenneth Wuepper; 04-24-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer
                        I think it would be quite difficult to hold any venue liable for contracting a disease. It would be near impossible to tie the infection to the location with "preponderance of evidence." The plaintiff would have to prove that they didn't go anywhere else where they could have been infected.
                        It might be difficult to narrow down where a single person contracted SARS-CoV-2. It's considerably easier when dealing with a cluster or super-spreader event. A commercial movie theater is such a place where cluster and super-spreader cases can occur. Contact tracing and location history via those big brother is watching smart phones can quickly reveal the common denominators.

Comment

It might be difficult to narrow down where a single person contracted SARS-CoV-2. It's considerably easier when dealing with a cluster or super-spreader event. A commercial movie theater is such a place where cluster and super-spreader cases can occur. Contact tracing and location history via those big brother is watching smart phones can quickly reveal the common denominators.
                          True. I personally don't think movie theatres are at much risk for a super spreader type event because each infected person will only be near a handful of other people, even in a sold out auditorium without any social distancing. It's not like a bar or nightclub where people are mingling in close proximity to a large number of different people. Obviously, whenever they reopen, for a while there will be social distancing in place.

Comment

"a handful of other people" is pretty much the definition of a super spreader. In a sold out theatre it would be disastrous. Assuming a multiplex, it's not just the eight seats within 6ft, he leaves a trail through the lobby, in line at the concessions counter, on his way to and in the restroom, down the hall to the auditorium, up the aisle to his row and through the row to his seat. Then do most of it again in reverse at the end of the show. Even with social distancing, one has to assume a vapor trail many people will come in contact with. Have this happen several times a day and you have contagion central. Masks help, but if it is like around here, most people are not wearing them.

Comment

So today's the day.

Have any theatres actually opened in Georgia?

Comment

Appears none of the hardtops in Atlanta have opened, but this DI has:
                                https://starlightdrivein.com/nowplaying/
                                Welcome to the Starlight Drive In website, a multiple screen drive-in located in Atlanta, GA. See current and upcoming attractions, pictures, snack bar menu, and flea market information.

Comment

Working...
                                X