Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Guttag
    replied
    Because that is the service. I don't believe the theatre owners pay anything for the box...just the service. Most, I think, pay based on the content that they actually download/use. This puts all of the upkeep on the content provider, not the cinema. All the cinema has to provide is floor space and a port on the network switch. If they discontinue the service, then the unit is removed.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Hallikainen
    replied
    Thanks Steve! But could they be standardized hardware and OS that runs wget or similar to just get stuff from a specified URL? Cinemas could buy whatever system hardware they wanted (or the software could be integrated into a TMS, LMS, or the playback server). File transfers are not magic. Why special hardware?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Guttag
    replied
    Harold, because each system is for a different content provider and each is responsible for their own box. To us as integrators...all we need to provide is a port on the "Media" switch for the TMS or the individual SMS servers to get to the content. Those boxes are not, typically, owned by the cinema.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Cox
    replied
    Apparently Landmark Cinemas of Canada (the second largest Canadian cinema chain after Cineplex) is putting one of these into all of their theatres. So it's probably wise for me to keep up with the Joneses and get one of these things installed. The "exhibitor relations" guy said that if I'm not expecting any content I can switch it off, so I suppose I have little to lose by getting one and setting it up and seeing what happens after that.

Now is the time to set it up when the theatre is closed; if it takes a couple of days of fooling around to get it to work then nothing's lost.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Hallikainen
    replied
    Why is a separate box required for each system? It seems like a distributor can just provide a URL for where to pick up the movie. A local library server would go get it. It seems like it could even be done by the playback server. Once it's on one server, it can be shuttled around the theater as required.

Leave a comment:

• Carsten Kurz
    replied
    One potential drawback could be that they don't offer the full catalog of titles, but work only with a small range of studios. In some areas of the world, the electronic distribution market is segmented into 4 or 5 different companies, each serving different titles/distributors. As a result, cinemas in these markets have to supply/care for a range of boxes, some only receiving a DCP once a year. You should probably ask them about this potential issue before you decide wether it's worth the electrical bill they create.

We use three different systems - two being PC based with a dedicated software client using our existing internet connection, the third, GOFILEX, with their own equipment, and connected to a dedicated cable internet they pay for as well. All three work nice enough, though GOFILEX with the dedicated hardware and line is the most trouble free. Three years back they wanted us even though we're a single screen.

Leave a comment:

• Sean McKinnon
    replied
    I have customers with "eclair play" and spotlight which seem ti be similar things to this. They work fine AFAIK.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Guttag
    replied
    We have one customer with it. The box gets an internet feed and they also connect to your "media network." It seems to behave like DCDC and other content via non-physical media boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Cox
    started a topic Cinesend

Cinesend

Have any of your folks had any contact with Cinesend? It's an outfit that sends you the dcp's over the Internet; you get a box in your projection room and the movies get downloaded into that. You then ingest to your server from their box. They provide the box and all you pay for is your Internet connection.

Quote from the email:

That is correct there is no cost. There is no monthly or weekly service charge. There is no cost to download any content. We cover the cost of shipping the receiver, we cover any costs involved in maintenance. We charge the studio a rate each time they send content to you. The only cost you would have to worry about there is your internet, making sure you have the right speed and enough allowance each month. The only charge to consider is CineSend Trailers, which is an add on service to download trailers to your browser or CSX; it is free for 2020, and we're looking at a tiered payment structure in the new year, but it is not required.
    cinema_hardware_header.png

Sounds like a pretty good deal....

Working...
X