Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single screen staffing (and other small locations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have never used the ticketbooth in 10 years, always concessions and tickets in one line.

We also don’t do a separate ticket only line. We are general admission, so my view is first in line should be first to get their seats. Why would k reward the people who don’t support the business with concessions purchases and effectively punish those who do by letting ticket only people skip ahead of them so they don’t have to wait?

My general formula for staffing is 1 shift leader (usually an adult) and then 1 additional staff for each 50 additional guests I anticipate for that round of shows.

So if the total number I expect is 50 or less, shift leader only. If I expect 300, shift leader plus 5. But customer service and customer experience is a huge priority for me, so a little extra payroll expense is an investment in my mind.
    Last edited by Andrew Thomas; 07-02-2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Thomas View Post
      We also don’t do a separate ticket only line. We are general admission, so my view is first in line should be first to get their seats. Why would k reward the people who don’t support the business with concessions purchases and effectively punish those who do by letting ticket only people skip ahead of them so they don’t have to wait?
      Almost nobody around here is selling tickets manually anymore, not even the singles, doubles, tripples and mini-plexes. Most people will buy their ticked on-line anyway, the rest of them can be served with a ticket machine, which will pay for itself within a few months.

Not needing to sell tickets at the concession stand will shorten the line there and may entice more people to actually buy concessions. You're not Apple with a cultish following that will entice people to stand in line for hours on end to get one of the limited shiny new gadgeds on stock, so easier access and quicker fulfillment should almost certainly lead to increased sales, won't you say?

Comment

Why would k reward the people who don’t support the business with concessions purchases and effectively punish those who do by letting ticket only people skip ahead of them so they don’t have to wait?
        The people who come to the movies (whether they buy concessions or not) are ALL supporting the business. What if a person wants to buy concessions, but they'd rather go pick their seats, unload their coats and hats, get the kids settled, and then send Dad back out for concessions? Does Dad have to go to the very end of the line?

Comment

I will not close our ticket booth/window.. it is an important part of the theater experience.

We sell an experience and that experience starts then the customer pulls up. We set the tone with the way the theater looks. If we have extra staff, I will stand out front, waving to those what drive by and welcome people who are coming to the theater. Customers buy tickets from the sidewalk (no matter what the temperature is. The show at the concession stand is more like that of an old diner with the employees all calling out the orders (we don't have a automated system at the concession stand). We have vintage cartoons or shorts before the trailers start so those who arrive early will be entertained.
          I have no control of the content of the movie, but I can control most everything else... and we hope people feel are enjoying the experience before the movie starts.

I can get some retired people to work the ticket window if needed but so far it has not been an issue. I don't have to pay the teen a lot of money because they tend to make real good times. The teens working the concession stand can make over $20.00 an hour
          when factoring in their tips. (per hour, they make more than I do but only work a couple hours a day). Having people buy their tickets at the concession stand would slow the process down and take away from the experience.

Comment

Working...
          X