After Credit Scene Announcement before Film starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Credit Scene Announcement before Film starts

Does anybody put up an announcement before a film starts stating whether there's no after credits, 1 or 2 after credits?

I think it would be helpful for our customers to know so they can leave right away if there's nothing or they know to stay for 1 or 2 after credit scenes.

I'm thinking one of three slides before the show:
    -No After Credits for this Film
    -One After Credit for this Film
    -Two After Credits for this Film

I showed a 'No post-credit scene this time. Seriously.' slide before 'Endgame'. No one believed me.

Comment

Up until not that long ago I used to tell people when they were starting to leave that there was more to see, but after one person got upset with me when I told her I've more-or-less stopped doing that.

If people stay they stay and if they leave they miss out.

Comment

I tell people if they ask me. I figure those scenes are for the "super fans" and people will stay if they want to see 'em, or leave if they're not interested. Most people have gotten used to the fact that once you see the "Unit Production Manager" credit, the show is most likely over.

Plus the end-credit scenes of late aren't exactly compelling enough to wait for anyway.

Regardless of in-credits scenes, you're going to have a handful of people on occasion who want to stay for the credits regardless. They want to look at the cast list, the song list, and (most often around here) they want to know where it was filmed. AND, keep in mind you are obligated by your contract to play the film all the way to the end including the credits, if anybody has stayed behind to watch.

Comment

I for one, appreciate this kind of information. Watching 15 minutes of crawling text in a half-empty, half-lit room, waiting for something eventually to happen or not, isn't my favorite way to spend my time.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between in-credits and post-credits scenes... Aso, instead of "2", I'd just say "multiple", that saves work for if someone would put 3 or more of those scenes after the credits.

Comment

We tell people when they purchase the tickets. If we have someone welcoming people to the theater, that person will also let the customer know. A few people don't care of forget and leave when the credits start but the vast majority of people stay. The Lost City has a post credit scene but the customer only has to wait through 90 to 120 seconds of credits before the scene. We are trying to communicate to the customer that it is only a two minute wait.

Comment

"I am Groot"

Comment

I wouldn't tell people whether there were in-credit scenes or stingers, after, unless they asked.

My GF's dad always stayed through the credits. He often took mental notes to keep in mind for future projects. He had an almost encyclopedic memory of the names of people he worked with and what shows or movies they worked on. You could name, practically, any person and he could tell you a story about them.

I sure that he also stayed out of professional courtesy, as well.

Personally, once the main cast credits go by, I make my exit unless there's something like a piece of music or a location that I want to know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Steffl View Post
                  Does anybody put up an announcement before a film starts stating whether there's no after credits, 1 or 2 after credits?

I think it would be helpful for our customers to know so they can leave right away if there's nothing or they know to stay for 1 or 2 after credit scenes.

I'm thinking one of three slides before the show:
                  -No After Credits for this Film
                  -One After Credit for this Film
                  -Two After Credits for this Film
                  Why?

If they aren't staying for the entire credits they deserve to miss whatever might be there.

Originally posted by Randy Stankey View Post
                  Personally, once the main cast credits go by, I make my exit unless there's something like a piece of music or a location that I want to know about.
                  I stay until the projector goes into countdown or shuts off; it feels rude not to.

For me the credits allow me a chance to relax and reflect on what I've just seen.

I also enjoy seeing whether the titles were done by Scarlet Letters.

Comment

I would consider that a spoiler. Ever since the original Star Wars (when I couldn't understand why people were leaving, while the film was still playing) I've stayed til the VERY end of every movie. Never seen any reason not to. Post-credits scenes should be a surprise. If I know they're there already, the effect is somewhat diminished.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Skeen View Post
                      I would consider that a spoiler. Ever since the original Star Wars (when I couldn't understand why people were leaving, while the film was still playing) I've stayed til the VERY end of every movie. Never seen any reason not to. Post-credits scenes should be a surprise. If I know they're there already, the effect is somewhat diminished.
                      I recently watched Ambulance... That movie may be an insult to your intelligence (like many (most?) Bay movies), it's also overly long, but it had one thing going for it: The credits were over before I actually left my seat, so they were surprisingly short.

Given the amount of non-stop fireworks and explosions in this movie, a heck of a lot of people must have worked on it, so apparently, it's still possible to fit your end credits in just a minute or three, you know, like in the "olden times"...

I'm not sure who started this idiocy of never-ending credits, it may be Peter Jackson with Lord of the Rings, where he needed to put every member of the LoTR Fanclub in there or something like that. If credits would just take a minute or three, I would be much more motivated to watch them until the end. I'm really not that interested in who did the accounting, the catering, who let the dogs out and who impregnated whom during the production and how the end-result was named...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                        I recently watched Ambulance... That movie may be an insult to your intelligence (like many (most?) Bay movies), it's also overly long, but it had one thing going for it: The credits were over before I actually left my seat, so they were surprisingly short.

I actually loved it, but then again I am a huge Michael Bay fan; I will go see anything he does opening night in the best format possible (IMAX for Ambulance.)

This was kind of an odd one because I thought Michael had a long term contract with Paramount, but this one was Universal.

It was a lot of fun, great story line, highly recommended for fans of action films.

I also hated the credits, they went by far too quickly to read, it was very disappointing.

I love reading credits, especially when they are long. I enjoy seeing who does the catering, if "Call the Cops" is still doing police consulting, who's doing craft services and if the end titles were done by Scarlet Letters or someone else.

I remember reading the stories when Pacific Title went bankrupt when they had almost a 100% share of the market and noting how long it took their work to start disappearing.

I want to see the name of every person who made that film possible scroll by, it's the only proper way to acknowledge their months of hard work.

It's how I discovered my favorite cinematographers, composers and even have noted when someone has moved from assistant grip or Best Boy to higher in the food chain.

I also look to see whether the film was shot with Canon, Panavision, Sony or RED cameras and whether it was edited on Adobe, Apple, Avid, or my favorite, "shot and edited on film."
                        Last edited by William Kucharski; 04-09-2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure who started this idiocy of never-ending credits
                          I wonder if it was one of the unions. In a bargaining meeting, they said "OK, we will agree to the slightly lower bump in salary AS LONG AS all our members get screen credit for every movie they work on." And then everybody jumped on the bandwagon.

Comment

Didn't someone on this very forum say that the credits are equivalent to the resume for everyone who works on a movie, so that's why the secretary to the vice-assistant accounting ninja gets a credit on one of those 60-names-at-a-time screens that nobody could every possibly read?

Comment

Originally posted by William Kucharski View Post
                              I want to see the name of every person who made that film possible scroll by, it's the only proper way to acknowledge their months of hard work.
                              Yeah, but the catering didn't work on the film, neither did the people in the accounting department. Where do you draw the line? Should we list all the people that worked at the power company and kept the power flowing? What about the poor people at the water company?

I can understand that people want to be in the credits, as it's a potential big part of their resume, but a lot of those functions nowadays listed in there have nothing to do with the actual movie itself.

Like Mike indicated, the thing probably started as a sort of compromise, where some union started to demand more "credit visibility", but it really got out of hand. I'm thanking Michael Bay for trying to reset the standard on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X