Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customers really pay NO attention, do they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack Ondracek View Post
    What did make us useful as a local had less to do with our skills as projectionists and more to do with us positioning ourselves as full-service individuals.
    See? That's what I'm talking about.

You were surrounded by people who saw value in the work that other people did for them.

You don't get that, very often, today. The first thing that some say is that people only care about the Almighty Dollar but that's not exactly true.
    It's more superficial than that. All that most people can see is numbers and only superficially, at that. In the process, they reduce other people to mere object status. One that happens, people lose the meaning in the things they do.

When was the last time you saw a manager or administrator look an employee in the face? When was the last time you saw them give an employee the respect of being treated like their work matters.

That's a rhetorical question, for sure. I don't think that most people in this venue are so callous. We've got a lot of people who have been in the business for much of their lives and you don't get that far by treating people like crap.

On the other hand, just go to a store or some other business and watch people move about and interact. You don't see much concern for the individual.

People are treated like numbers and they act like it, too.

Comment

I’ll send an email and hopefully it’ll be fixed.

Still, those two channels probably had been out for quite a while already... And with those two channels down, you're missing most of the soundtrack... it should be obvious to anybody something is wrong. I simply don't understand how you can operate a theater in such a state.

More evidence for my theory that most of the people who care about presentation have given up on commercial cinemas, at least in major markets. They are happy to wait and watch at home.

I hope you both published reviews on Google/ yelp, etc, so that the few people who haven't given up know to avoid those locations.

Comment

Todays lesson in presentation incompetence: the Colorado Center IMAX in Denver, CO.

I was in the IMAX theater for the 7:30 show and noticed the sound was very bright and harsh and louder than usual and the subs were not working at all. There was simply nothing below 600 Hz or so.

Not great when you are premiering Jurassic World Dominion.

It honestly sounded like they cranked the highs and mids way up to try to compensate for the fact nothing was coming out of the subs.

Note this same theater ran Top Gun: Maverick perfectly.

I don’t know if this was a failure in their electronics or if their IMAX drives for JWD were messed up somehow, but it was absolutely horrible and painful to listen to for even the sixty seconds I stayed.

Of course no one else noticed an issue or left, which is why I’m sure they will not get it fixed.

I’m rapidly running out of theaters in the Denver Metro to see anything in.

Comment

I hope you published reviews on Google/ yelp, etc, so that the few people who care about presentation quality and haven't given up on commercial cinemas know to avoid that location.

Also, isn't the Colorado Center still projecting 2k liemax on a massive screen built for 15 perf 70MM? What did Top Gun: Maverick look like? I would think it would be like watching through a screen door, unless maybe you were on the back row...

Comment

Actually:

1) Top Gun: Maverick and other films I’ve seen there look pretty good, though

2) I do sit in rows “H” or “I” when I go, so pretty close to the top of the stairs.

This is sadly the first time I’ve had a sound issue there, but it was the “whatever” attitude of the management that has me wary of returning.

On the other hand, I was able to get a refund for my 7:30 IMAX and instead saw the 10:50 at the Continental RPX and it was its usual amazing self.

The manager there is a film nut and seems to care when I’ve spoken with him, and you just can’t beat that big multi-foot thick concrete box for bass with good subs.

For what it’s worth, excepting the Colorado Center IMAX now. IMHO the Regal Continental RPX and the Alamo Drafthouse Sloan’s Lake have the best presentations in the Denver Metro area.

(Alamo Drafthouse Aspen Grove is a bit of a gamble, and Alamo Drafthouse Westminster is good visually but I swear they have their faders set to 5.0 or below, directly comparable to the AMC Westminster 24 across the Highway.)

The CineCapri at Harkins Northfield looks promising, but there too they set volume levels to avoid intrusion to the house next door, and not only is it too quiet, having been in the house next door, it doesn’t help much.
            Last edited by William Kucharski; 06-10-2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X