Daytime Drive-In Theatre Opens In Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytime Drive-In Theatre Opens In Tennessee

The nations first daytime Drive-In Theatre opens in Tennessee.

Daytime Drive-In

You don't have to wait for the sun to go down at the drive-ins anymore.

Up until now, drive-in movie theaters could only operate at night, but at the newly opened Loco Drive-In in Loudon, Tenn., viewers can see films anytime they'd like, including during the day.
    Equipped with a 35-foot by 63-foot LED video board screen, Loco Drive-In, the country's first daytime drive-in movie theater, is capable of screening films without the aid of darkness. The screen, affectionately deemed the "LoCo Tron," uses Samsung technology to display a 4K picture, similar to a traditional television. "There's no facility that we know of like this right now in the U.S... that's what Hollywood is telling us," Gordon Whitener, founder and CEO of the Whitener Company, which built and launched Loco Drive-In, told Knox News. "This will be truly unique... the drive-in will be the core, but we'll have concerts, car shows, boat shows and more."

Built over the course of the last few months, Loco Drive-In holds 400 cars and features speakers loud enough so that customers likely won't need to dial in their radios for audio. "I've had this idea for over 25 years," Whitener continued. "I've just always loved the nostalgia of the drive-in.... even though things have begun opening back up, I think people have an appreciation for doing things with their family and doing things outdoors."

Participating in outdoor activities turned out to be not only a nostalgic choice for consumers, but a financially necessary one for the film industry as a whole. When the coronavirus pandemic forced the doors of traditional movie theaters shut, the future of the movie business, like the live music business as well, appeared uncertain. Once a struggling sector of the industry, drive-in theaters began soaring in popularity across the U.S. as a safe alternative to traditional theaters. Metallica was the biggest of several acts to simulcast special drive-in concerts last year, and musicians such as Jason Isbell, Grace Potter and Blackberry Smoke utilized the outdoor venues for in-person concerts — instead of a movie on a screen, fans watched bands from their cars.

According to CNN, during the pandemic last year drive-in theaters generated 85% of theater box office revenue while in 2019, they accounted for just 2.9% percent — an increase that effectively helped save the industry from total collapse.

For the first few weeks, Loco Drive-In will be showing classic films such as Smokey and the Bandit, Minions and Days of Thunder, with newer films to come later this summer, along with sports streams, concerts and more.
    Now that is a BIG SCREEN TV!

uses Samsung technology to display a 4K picture, similar to a traditional television
    If 4k is traditional television, I'm a whole lot older than I thought I was.

Comment

Yeah, 4K TV is so retro.

*switches on his holographic 64K TV

Comment

There is an interesting aspect there, which also had been discussed on one of the recent ISDCF meetings. There are a few DCI compliant LED screens available now, but they are not large enough for a drive in (Onyx so far is max 14m wide), and, so far, are not built for outdoor use. While you can built a 'conventional' LED screen as the one mentioned in that article - it won't be DCI compliant, and that means, they can not play encrypted DCPs from major studios. Wondering if Samsung finds a way around this. Maybe this specific outdoor screen will share some concepts with their Onyx screens, which are DCI compliant (and use GDC servers). That is probably the reason why they will only show repertoire titles for now. If they don't transition this screen to DCI compliant, they will have a hard time, given the estimated cost of this venture.

Comment

If I was that owner, I would do everything in my power to avoid having the words "similar to a traditional television" in any article about my movie theater.

Comment

Dolby has an "L" version of the IMS3000 for "LED Wall installations." So maybe the LED wall is a thing. I've stated, for some time, that using Billboard technology, one could have a Drive-In that operates at any time desired. The only trick then is if the outside temps are too hot during the day to not turn one's vehicle into an oven. You don't want a field of 400 vehicles all idling to run their ACs. A 63-foot wide DI screen would look pretty tiny with typical vehicle spacing. And, as for their sound system being loud enough. I hope they are not trying to "blast" their sound with a PA rig or anything. Not only would it make you the "noisy neighbor" lip-sync issues would abound. Speaker poles and radio avoids the issues of sound traveling too slow for large spaces.

Comment

I've seen the -L version listed, but has anybody seen it in action? I guess the "L" version comes in a cage of its own? Your average LED wall doesn't come with a "slot" to plug an IMS3000 into. I guess the data between the "server" and the screen requires encryption and the entire signal processing chain of the LED screen will also require "DCI-grade" protection against illicit direct capture...

Comment

As far as I know, the L-Version of the IMS3000 was specifically built for LGs DCI compliant LED screen.

https://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_...1-17-2019.html

I guess you can not just hook it up to any LED screen. The whole thing needs to be DCI compliant - not just the server and it's interfacing.

Comment

Oh, I have no doubt that the studios will require a DCI compliant display. I just don't know how standardized they are for a DCI server, at the moment. Can the Onyx screen use an IMS3000? If not, why not? Are we down to just software allowing it? Vice-versa for the LG.

Then again, the whole DCI compliance thing is a joke if the studios are going to release to the home day-and-date or even 45-days...the biggest leak for their content is themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                    Oh, I have no doubt that the studios will require a DCI compliant display. I just don't know how standardized they are for a DCI server, at the moment. Can the Onyx screen use an IMS3000? If not, why not? Are we down to just software allowing it? Vice-versa for the LG.

Then again, the whole DCI compliance thing is a joke if the studios are going to release to the home day-and-date or even 45-days...the biggest leak for their content is themselves.
                    So, what made you loose faith in our DCI gods? :P

Well, last year, we got one studio to actually release an unencrypted version of one of their hot features, so we could play it on a normal video wall... It wasn't Disney, but still a major one... Maybe DCI as a security standard will be obsolete in just a few short years? I for once, would welcome this, because DCI has always only be about security, the rest is just for shits and giggles... at least as far as the studios were concerned.

Yeah, I get the whole story that DCI compliance at least filters out the worst of the worst, as you need to do some sizeable investment into the equipment. But is this still true anno 2021, where everybody can buy a bunch of DCI gear for a few thousands off of the second hand market?

Right now, I see DCI more as a hindrance for greatness as a way to actually achieve greatness... Who is going to invest into the DCI niche market right now? Nobody is. Look at something like Q-Sys, something that transcends industries and works pretty well for cinema too, doesn't it? Why can't we have the same for display technologies?

Comment

For projectors...because you eventually get into the consumer stuff getting into cinemas...likewise for TVs and with no semblance of meeting any color or brightness specs. There would also be content distribution...what works and doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                        For projectors...because you eventually get into the consumer stuff getting into cinemas...likewise for TVs and with no semblance of meeting any color or brightness specs. There would also be content distribution...what works and doesn't.
                        With Zero-Day release cycles, we can now all play cinema with an investment of a few hundred bucks into a crappy single-chip DLP projector and a Netflix and Amazon prime subscription... Heck, we're apparently already DCI-certifying dual-chip DLP projectors...

If people want to cheap out, they will do so where they can. If I want, I can eBay me a DCI system (projector, server AND audio processor) for under $10K, for example. I will be stuck with a worn-out, 13-year old DP100 and a lens that barely matches the room configuration, but heck, we can do "cinema"!

As for quality control for exhibition: There really should be some kind of THX-reborn... Something that matters, something exhibitors are willing to invest into and something patrons are willing to pay for. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the timing is entirely right at the moment for such a thing. But I know one thing for sure: DCI isn't going to save us from the ghetto...

Comment

How many other industries would put up with extremely expensive equipment that's deliberately designed to be fragile and prone to incapable of doing the job it's intended to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                            Can the Onyx screen use an IMS3000? If not, why not?
                            AFAIK, it can't. The one I installed (at the now closed Pacific Winnetka) was essentially a GDC SX-4000, the PCI connectors of which plugged into a unit that in turn piggybacks onto the main control unit of the LED panel array. It had a bespoke media block firmware and slightly modified SMS software. It had a different model number (LPU-1000), but from what I could see, the hardware was identical to that of the SX-4000.

Presumably, modified firmware in Onyx control unit would enable an IMS3000 to be used in that slot; but I was told that the GDC LPU-1000 was the only IMS that could be used to play DCI content into the Onyx.

Comment

As a drive-in owner in Tennessee, I personally don't see how a video wall drive-in makes financial sense, especially since there are DCI compliant Barco Laser projectors available that put out an amazingly bright picture for about a 1/10th of the cost of that video wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X