Pepsi shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepsi shortage?

I just got my Pepsi order. Or more accurately, I just got most of my Pepsi order. Didn't get the bottled water.

The driver told me that they're having supply chain issues. He's not sure but he thinks it's somehow related to the plastic for making the bottles and the wrappers that they put on the cases. He said that there's almost no 2 litre bottles of anything available (which I don't sell so it doesn't bother me), they haven't had any of the smallest bottles of water that retail in 12-packs for the past couple of weeks, and they now have no bottled water at all in the warehouse that he just came from.

Anyone else having trouble getting their Pepsi order filled? I actually have a few cases of water left here since water is something that I'll sometimes buy an extra case of just to make it up to Pepsi's minimum order threshold. And I did get the rest of what I ordered so it isn't going to be a real problem for me for the next few weeks anyway.

Around here, it’s Gatorade.

My girlfriend drinks Gatorade, religiously, and it’s been hard to find the flavor she likes. Most convenience store shelves have been devoid of it and even grocery stores are starting to run out.

I was sure that it was some kind of supply chain issue but plastic being in short supply makes sense. You’d think that, in times like this, companies would be more interested in recycling plastic.

Yes, I know that recycled plastic isn’t all it’s cracked up to be but, if there was ever a time to improve the technology, it would be now. Don’t you think?

Comment

I recall reading several weeks ago about an aluminum can shortage due to supply chain issues, but since you're
      using plastic, that's obviously not your problem. I've also heard rumors about an upcoming Co2 shortage, so I'm
      already wondering about alternate sources for carbonation. ☞ Helium or Nitrous Oxide might be fun to try. . .

Comment

Upcoming Co2 shortage? These Eco-Terrorists of course hyperbolised again without thinking...
        I am willing to donate some of my Co2 footprint to Pepsi if they pay for transport.
        Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 08-05-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Ever since reopening back in late March there's usually something missing from an order but then will arrive on the next. I order through their online ordering service. It never says if they're actually out of stock, I just end up not getting it when the driver arrives.

However, last night while doing an order there were actually items listed as being out of stock (and of course things I need). It'll be interesting to see what the driver actually arrives with. Jungle Cruise brought in more business than any film we've had since reopening and I'm most likely going to run out of several items before Monday when they get here.

Comment

Pepsi is gross anyway. Switch to Coke instead.

Comment

We've had no problems getting Pepsi products of any kind here, except for one thing: "Peach" flavor bottled water. We carry four flavors of water: Plain, cherry, huckleberry and peach, and peach has been a no-show since about June of last year. No explanation from anybody as to why this is.

The thing we're having occasional issues with is candy. The distributors will be out of various things, OR there will be no truck drivers available to transport it. We waited 10 days once last fall for our order to be delivered, usually it just takes 2 or 3 days. (Warehouse is in Salt Lake City.)

Comment

When I was first making my theatre I sent a letter to Pepsi and a letter to Coke. "Setting up a movie theatre, come and talk to me."

Three days after I mailed the letters the Pepsi salesman was ringing my doorbell.

Five years later the Coke salesman showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                  ...I've also heard rumors about an upcoming Co2 shortage, so I'm
                  already wondering about alternate sources for carbonation. ☞ Helium or Nitrous Oxide might be fun to try. . .
                  You could use a Gasogene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasogene

That's how they made carbonated water back in the Victorian days.

Comment

I see supply shortages all around me. The current microchip shortages cause all kinds of havoc in anything that requires a microchip. I've been waiting for a bunch of notebooks for two months now for example. We're also waiting for a new car we leased, same story: microchip shortage, delivery date unknown...

When I walk around grocery store, I see random shelves empty, often with some notice that the product is temporarily not available due to some supply issues. Our global supply systems are complex and intertwined. Wiggle here and you'll see the impact many months down the road over there...

Comment

As I understand, one of the causes of all the shortages going on comes because there is a shortage of available shipping containers.

Because of the virus, cargo ships are sitting outside harbors for days, waiting to unload and the delays are causing shipping companies to hustle in order to keep up their schedules. Once containers are taken off the ships, they have to turn around and go pick up another load, leaving the empty containers behind. Those containers pile up on docks but nobody wants to spend the money to send empties back. That leaves fewer containers available to ship goods in.

With "Just in Time" manufacturing, fast turnaround is necessary to keep factories running efficiently but, with a shortage of containers, shippers can't keep up with demand. That leaves raw materials piling up in warehouses with no way to fill all the orders that companies are sending. When manufacturers can't get materials, they can't make product and that leads to shortages of goods in stores and other places.

It's all one, big domino effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                        When I was first making my theatre I sent a letter to Pepsi and a letter to Coke. "Setting up a movie theatre, come and talk to me."

Three days after I mailed the letters the Pepsi salesman was ringing my doorbell.

Five years later the Coke salesman showed up.
                        Opening our first theatre in a suburb of Coke's headquarters, Atlanta, (1991) we had Coke on line but when the equipment started breaking down we could NOT get service. I gave Pepsi a call and the next week we had new equipment! Pepsi had better rebates than Coke. It was a win-win for us. A few customers complained at first but that stopped after about 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                          Pepsi is gross anyway. Switch to Coke instead.
                          Maybe that one can be solved by installing a Pepsi to Coke adapter?

Comment

LOL! Great idea....

Comment

We use a local soda company. The soda is made with natural ingredients and pure cane sugar. It is amazing soda and it is less expensive than either Pepsi or Coke.
                              To get to their company you have to take a small dirt road through some woods before you arrive at their plant which is about the size of a two car garage. It is family owned and operated with some amazing customer service. If you are in the Michigan area, check out Northwoods soda or check for local businesses in your area. There are more options than Pepsi or Coke.
                              No supply issues as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X