X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it's like to get locked out of Google indefinitely

Somewhat related to the proprietary data discussion:

https://www.businessinsider.com/goog...-years-2020-10

• Entrusting your data to big tech platforms can be highly risky.
    • Users who have been banned by Google for supposedly violating its terms of service have been left without access to key parts of their lives.
    • Many have appealed the suspensions but have received automated responses.
    • They don't know why they've been banned. "This is just how life is when you're dealing with trillion-dollar faceless corporations," said Aral Balkan.
    When he received the notification from Google he couldn't quite believe it.
    Cleroth, a game developer who asked not to use his real name, woke up to see a message that all his Google accounts were disabled due to "serious violation of Google policies."
    His first reaction was that something must have malfunctioned on his phone.
    Then he went to his computer and opened up Chrome, Google's internet browser. He was signed out. He tried to access Gmail, his main email account, which was also locked.
    "Everything was disconnected," he told Business Insider.
    Cleroth had some options he could pursue: One was the option to try and recover his Google data — which gave him hope. But he didn't go too far into the process because there was also an option to appeal the ban. He sent in an appeal.
    He received a response the next day: Google had determined he had broken their terms of service, though they didn't explain exactly what had happened, and his account wouldn't be reinstated. (Google has been approached for comment on this story.)
    Cleroth is one of a number of people who have seen their accounts suspended in the last few days and weeks. In response to a tweet explaining his fear at being locked out of his Google account after 15 years of use, others have posted about the impact of being barred from the company that runs most of the services we use in our day-to-day lives.
    "I've been using a Google account for personal and work purposes for years now. It had loads of various types of data in there," said Stephen Roughley, a software developer from Birkenhead, UK.
    "One day when I went to use it I found I couldn't log in."
    Roughley checked his backup email account and found a message there informing him his main account had been terminated for violating the terms of service.
    "It suggested that I had been given a warning and I searched and searched but couldn't find anything," added Roughley. "I then followed the link to recover my account but was given a message stating that my account was irrecoverable."
    Roughley lost data including emails, photos, documents and diagrams that he had developed for his work. "My account and all its data is gone," he said.
    One Google worker posted in exasperation on October 12 that his husband's account had been locked, and he wouldn't be able to regain access. Others professed to have been barred from using Microsoft services, while losing access to Facebook accounts can be equally damaging.
    "This is just how life is when you're dealing with trillion-dollar faceless corporations," said Aral Balkan, who has long campaigned against the control of our data – and lives – by big tech firms.
    "It's just one reason why it's so important that we fund and develop human-scale small tech as an alternative to the stranglehold of big tech on our lives."
    It's a little like having your house burn down

We've spent the history of the modern internet putting more and more of our lives online. From checking in at restaurants and reviewing museums, to relying on Google to navigate us to hotels where we take photographs that we post to Facebook and Instagram, there's very little left in our lives that big tech doesn't touch. We transact business emails through Gmail, and trust Skype (owned by Microsoft) to handle our video calls with family and friends.
    We don't realize that until we lose access. When key services like Gmail go down, we're left listless. And in extreme circumstances, when we're booted out from accessing services through bans, the impact becomes even more devastating.
    You only need look at what Cleroth has lost for an indication of the kind of data we give up to big tech firms.
    "I'm still trying to piece [together] everything that I did lose," he explained. "I'm slowly realizing over time just how much stuff is 'missing'."
    There are the obvious things, like access to Gmail, YouTube and Google Calendar. The game developer has lost reminders of birthdays and anniversaries. "It's going to lead to some more awkward conversations," he said.
    But it's not just access to his work emails that he's lost: "A fair amount of software licenses get delivered by email, especially audio software which his expensive," he said. "I have products from over two dozen different companies so it's probable I've lost a fair amount of those, given I also have no access to the email they were registered with."
    Then there are other services he's lost access to. Cleroth logged into many apps and services using his Google account, which he doesn't have access to anymore. "If they're paid, I'll have to buy them again if I switch phones," he said. The music he purchased through Google Music has also disappeared. "The app took it upon itself to delete all the downloaded music I had on my phone."
    And most notes that the developer jotted down on his phone were stored through Google Keep, which is also gone. "It had a lot of brainstorming for serious and personal projects, as well as other important notes that I scribbled just as reminders usually, most of which I can't really recall at all," he said.
    "Frankly my memory is not that good, and well, that's one of the reasons I had all these services that Google offers me," he added.
    The developer feels betrayed by the company for shutting off access to vast swathes of his digital life in an instant, with little logical recourse. "It feels like getting baited by all the convenience that Google offers, only for Google to use your data as it pleases and possibly take it all away with no prior notice," he said.
    Worse, he's worried it could happen elsewhere. "It feels debilitating that there's no way to even prevent this in the future," he explained. "No matter what I do or who I choose to do 'business' with, there'll always be a risk of losing it."
    He feels anger, too. "I'm extremely angry at Google for just completely locking me out or deleting all my data without a single notice, losing money, data on personal projects, contacts, so much," he explained.
    The lack of transparency about how he broke their terms of service also has him worried. "I keep thinking there has to be a reason they've suspended me, even though it could just be some algorithmic glitch or something.," he said. "It's difficult to shake this feeling, given that Google practically has mountains of data on me.
    "I'm also angry at myself for not having even thought of the possibility I could lose my Google account with everything in it and accounts linked through Google," he added. "Apparently I'm not alone in this blind faith though. Hopefully that changes."
    I always operate on the theory that if it isn't on my computer, it's not mine.

My data is saved in formats that I control on hard drives that I control.

And I avoid copy-protected software.

Of course, it helps greatly that I use Linux (formerly Red Hat, now Centos) for all of my general computing needs. Nothing needs to be activated and I can stand up a new desktop, laptop or server without having to ask anyone's permission to do so.

what-if-i-told-you-the-cloud-is-just-someone-elses-computer.jpg

Comment

Agreed completely with Frank, to which I would add that anyone who finds his or herself in that position is either the victim of very poor (if any) IT education, or only has his or herself to blame. I'm sure that the former is a big problem. As Marcel's picture alludes to, I have often asked people what they believe "the cloud" to be, and they are often surprised when I tell them that it essentially consists of another computer, at the other end of their Internet connection.

I have spent the last decade and a half refusing to register on, or use, Facebook or Twitter, despite friends, relatives, and co-workers asking me to do so at regular intervals. Back in the '00s, I was simply concerned about them hoovering up information about me in order to bombard me with advertising. We now know that this is arguably the least sinister of the things they do with that information (further discussion of which would get political, so I won't go there).

I reluctantly did register on Linkedin when I first arrived in the USA and was job hunting, but that is basically the limit of my mainstream social media use.

Like Frank, the personal and professional data I create and receive stays on local hard drives in computers that I or my employer own. About every month I backup the personal stuff I can't afford to lose on TruCrypt-encrypted USB hard drives, and take the set to a physical location several miles from my home (and then bring the stored set home for re-writing), to guard against physical destruction of the media (e.g. a house fire).

Part of me would like to abandon Windows and go all Linux, but there are applications I need to use that aren't available in native Debian versions and don't run reliably under WINE (e.g. Q-Sys Designer), so that isn't an option. That having been said though, when Teamviewer started to offer a Linux/Debian version, that immediately made CentOS or Ubuntu a viable option for remote access PCs in our business, given that there is a Linux version of Barco Communicator, and NEC Communicator works well in WINE.

Given that Windows is used in security-sensitive environments (albeit behind hardware firewalls, usually), and that it is a paid for software product, I figure that it's unlikely to be data mining my personal files and "phoning home" with the results. At the moment, that's a risk I have to take. My computers all have dual boot partitions, for Windows and Ubuntu, and I try to stick in the latter as much as I can. For some things that isn't possible.

But no way in the world would I organize my life such that being banned from Google services that require a login, or any other "free" communications facilities offered by the big tech giants, would cause me anything more than minor inconvenience. Anyone who does is taking a huge and unnecessary risk.
      Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 11-02-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I wonder what it takes to be banned from Google? I do use a rented Centos server for various web sites and keep backups of my desktop computer there. Years ago, I used a calendar from Netscape. One day it went away along with my schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
          I wonder what it takes to be banned from Google?
          I can't give what I believe to be the most likely answer to that question without violating the no politics rule.

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
          Years ago, I used a calendar from Netscape. One day it went away along with my schedule.
          But even staying away from politics, that illustrates yet another hazard of keeping personally and/or professionally important data in "the cloud," and believing that this removes the need to have it on physical media that you own or control. The owner or operator of "the cloud" you choose to use could simply go out of business, for completely benign reasons, and take your data with it. Sure, Google is one of the biggest businesses in the world - too big to fail, many say - but so were the Dutch East India Company and Pan Am...

Comment

Who says there has to be a reason? Due to a glitch in the matrix or a cosmic ray flipping a bit, you can be suddenly locked out and (as far as I'm aware) there's no reasonable recourse other than to shrug and start over again with a newly registered account.

There's some stuff on my phone that I imagine Google has slurped up but I don't keep anything really important on it and certainly nothing that I don't have local copies of on my computers.

My bank keeps pushing me to install their app "just look at how convenient this is!" NFW, guys. I don't control my phone. As I've told my wife several times when something mysterious happens on the phones, we don't actually own them. We pay for them but it's Google who actually owns them.

Comment

I just don't use online, "cloud" services very much. The few times I do, it is for mundane stuff and I do it mostly for the convenience of sharing information in a way that's easier for other people to use.

The reason I don't use online services is just for the reason stated above. You are trusting your important data to somebody else who you don't know and who can shut you down for any reason they want with no recourse.

I don't use social media like Facebook or Twitter, either. Not only do I not trust them, I just think Facebook is dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                I wonder what it takes to be banned from Google? I do use a rented Centos server for various web sites and keep backups of my desktop computer there. Years ago, I used a calendar from Netscape. One day it went away along with my schedule.
                Often, just a little bit of incompetence is sufficient...

I just recently got locked out of our business PayPal account. Because we apparently transferred or received more than a certain amount, we had to provide additional business registration documents, which I did.
                After I uploaded the documents to them, all options to upload new documents disappeared. Yet, every time I logged in, a nagging message told me that I needed to provide additional documents. When I clicked on the link, I got to the page that told me: Thank you, you're all set and done!

I mailed support about the issue and they essentially told me not to bother about it and if it would not go away within a month or so, to contact them again.

Then, from one day to the other I got an e-mail from them that my account had been locked, because I failed to provide the requested documents. It took me more than two months of round-trips alongside the all same stupid help-desks to get this sorted out. I had already given up on the account, but in the end someone higher up apparently recognized the problem and managed to unblock my account. In the end, the whole thing was just a technical hickup on their side...

All the while, I could not accept payments via that account and have access to the balance on that account. If you have a business that depends on this account, I can imagine how you can get screwed by the sheer incompetence of such corporations.

Comment

I would never put my financials up on the cloud nor anything that I don't have my own copy. I do use Dropbox and Google Drive on my "active" project as it allows the same files to be stored on multiple computers (which ever one that is in front of me) without having to copy/move/sneaker-net the files. It is also works for file sharing since I can provide a link and not bother with email programs that object to certain files due to being an executable or size.

If the cloud service were to evaporate, I'd still have files on, at least, 2 other computers that could be denied web access long enough to move them off. Once a project completes, those files can be moved to a permanent location on our office server (or my personal computer for personal stuff). Thus far, it has worked very well.

In a side tangent, I often question those that "buy" music but their library is cloud based. Can it not just disappear one day? Our office manager has a saying for using the cloud to store things: "Yes but what if it rains?"

Comment

I can imagine how you can get screwed by the sheer incompetence of such corporations.
                    Early on in the personal computer era I remember someone saying "A computer can create an error in a second that would take you a thousand years to make by yourself."

Now, I know the errors are really caused by humans and just amplified by the computers, but we do put an inordinate amount of trust into them, and it is good to rethink that trust on a regular basis.

Comment

If you want to see how fast a computer can amplify a human error, I highly recommend the following video (Tom Scott: The worst type I have ever made):

https://youtu.be/X6NJkWbM1xk

Comment

I do use Dropbox and Google Drive on my "active" project as it allows the same files to be stored on multiple computers (which ever one that is in front of me) without having to copy/move/sneaker-net the files. It is also works for file sharing since I can provide a link and not bother with email programs that object to certain files due to being an executable or size.
                        If I was in your position, I would consider using my own fileserver for those purposes. In addition to being more private and secure, it would also look more professional (in my opinion).

If you want a turn-key solution, perhaps something like a Qnap fileserver would meet your needs. They aren't super-expensive and seem to have a whole lotta stuff built-in.

Comment

Look more professional by who? I'll share specific files (e.g. projector logs to the manufacturer as some are getting large now).

Having the files perpetually updated on all platforms I use (desktop, pad, laptop, phone) has been more than just a bit handy. It has worked without issue. No financials are on those platforms to worry about losing and nothing in on there that can't be (easily) replicated and, again, there are simultaneous copies on numerous devices. I also like, when I'm not on the network that once that device connects up, things get updated but I can work with the "current" version of a file without the internet. This works for me very well.

Comment

[QUOTELook more professional by who?][/QUOTE]

Er, by anyone?

Download a file from http://www.randompublicwebserver/bla...thereitis.html

Download a file from ftp.mybusinessname.com/filename

Which one looks more trustworthy to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                              In a side tangent, I often question those that "buy" music but their library is cloud based. Can it not just disappear one day?
                              It absolutely can, and although this is not a music example, a supremely ironic one (Marcel mentioned it in an earlier thread) was when Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four disappeared from the Amazon Kindle "libraries" of everyone who bought it, because Amazon's license to distribute the book expired and they weren't willing to pay the publisher what was demanded to renew it (initially: they then did after an outcry and a ton of bad press).

Whenever I buy something with "no rush shipping" on Amazon, I get a $1 credit to buy digital stuff from them. For music files, you can actually download and keep DRM-free MP3s (at least, you can for the classical and jazz stuff I like - maybe not for more popular titles), so that's quite a good deal. But for Kindle books and video content, I only ever buy stuff that way that I won't shed any tears over if I lose access to it (e.g. shit lit to read on planes). If there's any chance that I'll want to keep it, I'll buy it on physical media.

Another problem with "buying" access to streaming titles or e-books is that presumably you can't give them away, sell them, or leave them to anyone in your will, all of which you can do with physical media.

Comment

Working...
                              X