Great deals on film stuff on Craigslist and eBay, redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great deals on film stuff on Craigslist and eBay, redux

Anyone looking for used 6k Goldberg floating hub reels? This guy's got 'em for ya at only $700 EACH. https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/clt...223010096.html

Or how about a crappy platter system, priced to move at only $1500 https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/mat...216933095.html

And we can all use good head (RCA Projector that is), also a bargain at only $1,500 https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/clt...199279868.html

Finally, you gotta have a rectifier for you lamphouse, right? At the sorta reasonable price of $350 https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/mat...219323912.html

This seller also has drive in speakers and pole tops at much more reasonable prices, but his ideas on what the actual projection equipment is worth is way off the mark, even if film was still a thing...

The market in used film stuff is really weird. Some projectors are literally now worth more as scrap than they would be if you tried to sell them to someone who wanted to use it as a projector. But some spare parts for projector models that are still in use in arthouses and cinematheques (or at least were, before C19) - I'm thinking Norelco vertical shafts and Kinoton pressure plates in particular - are now worth serious money. And if you have a CP650 in working order, they were appreciating in value as quickly as some classic cars, pre-C19 (especially if they have the AES input card in them). All the arthouses still using them wanted backup units, and some new arthouse and crossover venues were opening with them. Nothing else off-the-shelf can handle all the 35mm optical audio formats (apart from DTS and SDDS) in one box, and there is no way to equip the audio side of a 35mm booth without one, that doesn't involve getting into a major science project.

Comment

I still have about 20 of the 650's new in the box. If we ever get back to running movie houses. I'll have to look on E Bay.

Comment

Everyday, there's a sucker that wakes up. So give it a try.
        Even when film was still an active thing in theatres, beside cinematheques, a whole projector including 3 unfiled masks and a brand new 3kW lamp as spare could be as low as a 6 pack of beers. Trying to find unfiled masks for a 1950s projector could end up nearly 3 digit a piece, if a rarer brand was encountered.
        And, in some cases interior architects like cinema projectors as an object of design in their hotel lobby or whatever concept. And they are willing to pay 4 digits for a classic 1940s unit in good to look at condition, probably with a magnarc lamp with intact glass on the top, that was actually bulk in the 50, all over the world. They don't even care if it's working.

We know better, but do these sellers?
        The last 6000 and 2000 ft reels I have been offered were NIB Goldbergs, at 2 or 5 a piece, "take all, or I'll scrap 'em".

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
          The market in used film stuff is really weird. Some projectors are literally now worth more as scrap than they would be if you tried to sell them to someone who wanted to use it as a projector. But some spare parts for projector models that are still in use in arthouses and cinematheques (or at least were, before C19) - I'm thinking Norelco vertical shafts and Kinoton pressure plates in particular - are now worth serious money. And if you have a CP650 in working order, they were appreciating in value as quickly as some classic cars, pre-C19 (especially if they have the AES input card in them). All the arthouses still using them wanted backup units, and some new arthouse and crossover venues were opening with them. Nothing else off-the-shelf can handle all the 35mm optical audio formats (apart from DTS and SDDS) in one box, and there is no way to equip the audio side of a 35mm booth without one, that doesn't involve getting into a major science project.
          Looks like I may need to don my fedora and go all Indiana Jones on my storage building...I think I still have some Kinoton spares from my UC days buried in there.

The market is indeed odd, (always has been, really) and with the uncertainty due to you know what, I wonder when the inevitable crash is going to happen.

I have a very nice CP-65 fully loaded that I will use in my own screening room, would just like to find a DA-20 (or DA-10) so I can do Dolby Digital. I have two DTS 6's already.

Stefan makes some good points...there ARE designers who would pay a premium for projector stuff as decor, but out here in Idaho? Doubtful. I don't know how wide a search on other than Craigslist would reach, as CL searches only include "nearby areas" unless you specifically select a state/region. (Only Sun Valley out here in Idaho has well to do residents really. Some neighboring states do also, but still not a major populace of wealthy "artsy-fartsy" folks like New York , L.A., etc.)

Comment

Working...
          X