Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Cinema Beamer

Hello Everyone,

I am seriously asking this for a friend. I have my own home cinema project to, but I'll get to that later.

My friend has a small bar in the garden where he wants a small beamer for showing movies or the Formula One.
    Inside his house he also wants to use the same beamer.

Inside the house he has a miximum distance of 2 metres. In the bar he can reach up to 5 metres. Is there good quality beamer out there that can give you a reasonable good picture on both distances ?

Get an Ultra Short Throw (UST) Projector. No shadows on screen!

Take a look at this page: https://www.projectorcentral.com/bes...projectors.htm

Comment

Beamer? You should avoid using terminology like that and stick to the proper terms like "projector" if you want everyone to understand your question.

Comment

Brad, you may notice the author is from the Netherlands, in the Dutch language 'beamer' directly translates to 'projector' so he is a newbie (nieuwling) and most likely unaware of your apparent 'strict' emglish language rules

Comment

Yeah...having worked with Germans..."beamer" = video projector. It would be like faulting someone from calling a cell phone (mobile) a "handy."

Comment

I thought it was the nickname for a German car.

Comment

Most Europeans don't call their BMW a Beamer, although some may project their ego on said vehicle.

As for a video projector that works with a throw of both 5 and 2 meters: There are quite a few semi-professional projectors out there that can do this with a proper zoom lens, but it depends on picture size requirements in both configurations if it's doable or not. If you want something that fills an entire wall with just a throw of 2 meters and projects a tiny picture at 5 meters, that's not going to happen with a single machine and a single lens.

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                Brad, you may notice the author is from the Netherlands, in the Dutch language 'beamer' directly translates to 'projector' so he is a newbie (nieuwling) and most likely unaware of your apparent 'strict' emglish language rules
                John, you are correct I have no knowledge on the Dutch language and I just thought he was trying to be cute or trendy. I have never in my life heard that term in regards to a projector and it took me a good pause to realize what he was talking about, hence my post.

If I actually DID have "strict" language rules as you claim exists, I wouldn't permit anyone on here that didn't speak perfect English, but we both know that is not the case and never has been. His post had such good English with just the one word that stood out, that is why I didn't even notice he was from the Netherlands. By the way it's English, not "emglish".

Comment

Hi Brad, I figured you would catch my typo! Anyway, it does appear that FT is gaining international use, I wonder if there's a way to link to, or attach a translator program to the site? It would be a handy item for use on both sides of the language barriers???

Comment

The word "beamer" is an oddity in the Dutch language, as it refers to the English word "Beam", it's also pronounced as if it would be an English word, but most native English speakers will probably think about cars or Star Trek, rather than about video projectors. But the word isn't exclusively used in the Netherlands, it's also used by the Flemish and oddly also in common use in Germany. Maybe it's also in common use in other European languages, if so, let us know.

The reason why it is odd Germans use this word, is because Germans, just like the French, still tend to stick to local translations instead of loaning words from the English language, although they seem to be a bit more lenient than the French. The French don't even have MegaBytes, they have MegaOctets.

So, if someone talks about a beamer around here, he or she is usually talking about a video projector of a specific size, mostly the smaller kind of size. A cinema projector will usually not be called a beamer and a film projector will never be called a beamer. A bulky CRT projector, on the other hand, will probably still count as a beamer... I tend to stay away from the word "beamer" and just call them all projectors, but I often feel that many people associate that word mostly with "film projectors" over here...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                      Most Europeans don't call their BMW a Beamer, although some may project their ego on said vehicle.

As for a video projector that works with a throw of both 5 and 2 meters: There are quite a few semi-professional projectors out there that can do this with a proper zoom lens, but it depends on picture size requirements in both configurations if it's doable or not. If you want something that fills an entire wall with just a throw of 2 meters and projects a tiny picture at 5 meters, that's not going to happen with a single machine and a single lens.
                      Well it's not the intention that this PROJECTOR fills an enitire wall at both ranges. I'm looking for a projector that can create a solid looking picture on both distances, but it's not required to fill an entire wall. A picture larger then a 45 to 55 inch television screen is I think more or less the wish.

Comment

Working...
                      X