No announcement yet.

7,000 job cuts at Disney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Mike pointed out, they used to release the classics every 7 years so new generations of people could see them. I honestly don't remember the last time any of them played, and by releasing those again there's his 5.5 billion dollars... Disney doesn't need to cut anything. They are just creating the oh poor me image. What Disney really needs is a very intelligent leader that's able to see past his nose....

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Stankey
      Either the news report is flawed or Disney is bullshitting us. I can't believe that they'd fire 7,000 people making almost-million-dollar salaries. It's usually those at the bottom who go first.
      Usually yes, but it appears that this time is different. Someone interviewed on a radio news show I was listening to on a drive to a service call recently claimed that the average salary of those laid off in the recent round of tech industry cuts (Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc.) was in the ballpark of $180K, and that recent claims that unemployment is not a problem because there are millions of open positions are tempered by the fact that the vast majority of those open positions pay the minimum wage or not much more.

If true, that ballpark figure of $180K is also distorted by the fact that a lot of those job losses are in areas where the cost of living (e.g. where renting an 800 ft/2 apartment costs $4K a month) is so high that it's not unusual to be making that sort of money. But even so, it seems that the brunt of the job losses in this round have been higher paying positions. From a company leadership position it makes sense: if you can do without someone making $180K and the benefits package that typically goes with that, you'll save as much as you would letting go three or four minimum wage workers. It's still nowhere near the figure Mark came up with for the Disney layoffs, though. I suppose the only silver lining to that is to exert downward pressure on inflation.

This article suggests that a lot of the laid off tech workers will end up going to government and nonprofits. They generally pay less, because they are located in areas with lower costs of living, people tend to work for nonprofits motivated by other reasons than the desire to make a lot of money, and both tend to pay less up front in exchange for enhanced healthcare, retirement, and paid vacation time (my wife used to work for a very large nonprofit, and got literally over double the paid time off that I do in the private sector; but her up front take home pay was about a third lower than mine, for a job that I would say requires around the same level of education, acquired professional skills, and experience).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
        As Mike pointed out, they used to release the classics every 7 years so new generations of people could see them. I honestly don't remember the last time any of them played, and by releasing those again there's his 5.5 billion dollars... Disney doesn't need to cut anything. They are just creating the oh poor me image. What Disney really needs is a very intelligent leader that's able to see past his nose....
        Agree completely. Disney used to be a family entertainment company that created great content and had theme parks that were in a class of their own and that formula made solid profits for decades. Then, they decided to turn into a media conglomerate run by bean counters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post

Agree completely. Disney used to be a family entertainment company that created great content and had theme parks that were in a class of their own and that formula made solid profits for decades. Then, they decided to turn into a media conglomerate run by bean counters.
          Spot on Lyle!!!

Comment

Working...
          X