Searching for ADVISE AND CONSENT on any stream service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for ADVISE AND CONSENT on any stream service

Ah yes -- I KNEW there was a reason why I felt a warmth and sense of security and less apprehensive when I held an actual DVD or BluRay in my fat little fingers instead of drinking that Kool-Adi that said, "Oh, physical media is dead -- no one needs to buy DVDs or BluRays --every film will be available on the streaming services, any time, anywhere you want to see it. Ha HA! Now that we are doing remote teaching and the Film Department professors no longer have access to our physical film library, it becomes apparent that many, MANY films are not available thru the more popular streaming services and that's includes titles that once WERE available, all of sudden, magically are gone.

I know we have two copies on a shelf in a secure vault...but of course that's now off limits. And I am not talking about the many obscure titles that are in our library, but big, acclaimed titles like Preminger's ADVISE AND CONSENT. A professor is teaching it in his class and gave a frantic call that he needs it for his next lesson. He needs his students to have access to stream it before his Zoom class meets next.

If anyone knows of a streaming service where one can rent this title, that information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Everyone keep safe out there.

I know I watched this sometime late last summer on Amazon Prime, but as you've as you've already discovered, it's currently not available for some reason. Whattashame, it's a good movie, and watching it helped settle an disagreement with a friend who can't tell the difference between Charles Laughton with James Robertson Justice.

Comment

Agreed Jim; it is indeed a very good film. And this prof is using it in a class on early wide screen cinematography. The use of the CinemaScope width is particularly impressive in AAC, hence the search for a way to show it to the class. If I can't find it or if the streaming service has no way to allow us to have 30 students log in and watch it, I may try a work around, possibly getting a BR or DVD and creating an .mp3 of it, uploading it to our webserver, then password protecting it and allowing the students in the class to access it on our website. We do have rights to show titles in our DVD/BR Film Library (yes...hard discs in hard cases that you can hold in your hand, know where they are and have can get at them any time you need them). We may have to do that if I can't locate a streaming service that has this title..

Comment

I tried Netflix on line way back when they still also had an abundance of DVD's. I drank the Kool Aid too but quickly found out they didn't have any number of titles I would have liked. The issue seems to be Netflix only buy a license for a period of time and not forever as in a DVD. So, apparently, if the demand is low, the title goes away. Same for Amazon it seems.

Comment

There is an IOS app (and I assume Android) call Just Watch, where you can search for a title and it will tell you all, or if any, streaming services have a given title. In Amazon's case, it also tells you if it is free for Prime members, or an additional rental charge is required. You call also set it to search for streaming SD, HD (1080), or 4K (UHD).

According to Just Watch, Advice & Consent is not available for streaming.

Comment

Frank, There are a few DVD's of Advise and Consent available on Ebay. Here is one: https://www.ebay.com/p/45193519

Comment

The problem I have with all those streaming services is that content might blink into existence today and vanish without a trace tomorrow...

Comment

That goes for anything on the Internet. I've always operated on the principle that if I see something on the Internet that there's any chance I might want to have or use later, I save it on my own computers. Then I know where it is and I can back it up as I choose.

If it's just on some random webpage somewhere, there's no guarantee that it will still be there tomorrow, much less five or ten years or twenty years down the road.

I have archives, disk images, scans and miscellaneous files on my computers going back to the late 80's and I can review them whenever I choose.

Comment

Working...
                X