Just Go With It (2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Go With It (2011)

We are playing this show for a private party this weekend, so I got the blu-ray and converted it, and we test-watched it last night. Somehow I never got around to seeing it when we played it back in 2011 when it came out.

As Adam Sandler comedies go, I guess this one is pretty normal - he gets off some good one-liners, even though the story is pretty lame. Sandler plays a renowned plastic surgeon (which is a little hard to buy, but whatever) who is kind of a pathetic guy, in that he uses a wedding ring from a broken engagement to seduce women by combining it with sob stories about how horrible his marriage is, and this gets him laid a LOT, until suddenly he falls head over heels in love with Brooklyn Decker, who in the movie comes off as a genuinely nice girl-next-door type, who happens to have a killer body and a gorgeous face, so who wouldn't fall for her, right?

Then into the mix comes Jennifer Aniston, who plays the doctor's assistant, and also has a killer body and a gorgeous face, but because she wears no makeup and wears frumpy work clothes, he's never noticed her, even though she happens to be in love with him, but even she doesn't seem to realize it. The doctor's new girlfriend won't believe he's not really married, so he concocts a story that he's in the process of divorcing, but she demands to "hear it from her," so he cajoles Jennifer Aniston into playing his wife, and then Jennifer slips up and mentions her kids in front of the girlfriend, so now the doc has to pretend to have kids, and one of the kids has always wanted to go to Hawaii, so naturally they all jet off to Hawaii (and the only room left in the hotel is a $20,000-per-night suite, of course) where lie piles upon lie until it all comes crashing down in the end and since Sandler has finally noticed Jennifer (because she conveniently shows up in a bikini and several braless outfits), they live happily ever after.

As dumb as the story is, it is still a much more enjoyable movie to watch than some of the dreck we've endured lately (I'm looking at you, superhero movies) and at least this one had plenty of eye candy for the males in the audience to enjoy. I have to admit I miss this kind of "family film" that we used to see a lot of, but I think they have all gone into the straight-to-video wormhole, if indeed such movies are even made anymore.

Working...
X