Coma (1978)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coma (1978)

I was looking for something to read during the flights to and from CinemaCon, and I happened to hit upon "Coma," the book, which I read a long time ago and liked. After finishing it last night, I decided to watch the movie, which has always been one of my favorite thrillers.

This is one of those occasions where the movie is better, to me, than the book. The book is very wordy, with a ton of medical terminology in it (the author, Robin Cook, is a doctor), and the ending "action" segments near the end seem better suited to the big screen than to the printed page. The movie is a genuine creepfest, making your skin crawl in all the best ways. Don't get me wrong, the book is really good, but in this case I just like the movie better. It's directed by Michael Chrichton, who gave us "Jurassic Park," so it's got thriller cred.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it holds up quite well. The story is about a young female doctor who discovers an unually high amount of "ordinary" surgery cases that end up with the patient coming out in a coma. Investigating, she winds up running afoul of the hospital's all-male senior staff, especially the chief anasthesiologist, who don't like her snooping around and suggesting they are "overlooking something." Eventually her investigation leads her to put her own life in danger as she discovers that (as the book puts it) something is very, very wrong.

The movie is very well written, taking just enough of the medical-talk from the book to make it all feel real and give us plenty of information to understand what's going on. Several expository scenes explain what happens to a person during surgery, and it really gives a great "behind-the-scenes" look inside a hospital, with a lot of bits that you'd never normally see, such as a pathologist casually eating a hamburger while watching an autopsy. There are a number of plot holes that you need to overlook, as is typical with this kind of movie, but if you don't think about it too much, they're not too bothersome.

One thing that's kind of cool is, the movie has absolutely no musical score for the first 45 minutes. You don't really notice that it's missing until it suddenly shows up very effectively.

The cast is first-rate. Genevieve Bujold plays the young doctor, opposite an equally young Michael Douglas. Elizabeth Ashley, Rip Torn and Richard Widmark all play their characters to the hilt, and as with all good mystery thrillers, you never really know who's "in on it" and who's not, until the last few minutes, and you're left with a very unsettling feeling of "holy shit, this could actually happen."

This is one of those movies that could stand a good remake, but considering I've hardly ever seen a modern remake of anything that topped the original, I kind of hope that doesn't happen. I moticed that A&E aired a two-part version of it a few years ago, which is available on DVD; but I looked up the plot on Wikipedia and found that they really dumbed-up the story. So, that's a hard pass.

I remember seeing that movie back in the late 70's Mike. It was pretty good and starred Rip Torn and Richard Widmark as a couple of somewhat crazy doctors. I'll have to see if it's streaming some where and watch it again...

Comment

It's on YouTube - in several segments but it plays through.

Comment

The movie was directed by Michael "Jurassic Park" Crichton, which in itself makes me intrigued to seek it out, because, despite being an accomplished movie director in his own right, he did not end up directing his best known novel (or any of its movie spinoffs). I'd be interested to see how he filmed someone else's bestseller. At $27 it's a bit pricey, but I've put it on my Scamazon watchlist, ready to pounce if a discount appears.

The only novel of Cook's I've read is Fever, thanks to Amazon Kindle offering it to me for $0.99 shortly before I had a long flight to kill - exactly the same scenario as Mike's. From Mike's description, I get the impression that the main plot structure device is basically the same as with Coma: the "renegade against the establishment" one. In Fever, the daughter of a cancer drug researcher working for big pharma comes down with a rare form of cancer. Her father believes that the medical establishment doesn't know what it's doing, and eventually carries out his own experimental treatment on his daughter, which saves her.

Comment

Yes, $27 is actually pretty outrageous unless it's a new 4K scan and DVD... which it is not. We have Prime here, and as much as I hate watching TV, I might just do it to see Coma again...

Comment

Working...
          X