Kung Fu Panda 4 (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Fu Panda 4 (2023)

We're playing this right now. We passed on it on the opening due to Dune Part Two, but in hindsight we'd have been better off opening this movie. It's done outstandingly and is holding up well, in fact we thought about keeping it a third week but I figured as soon as Easter was over it would drop quickly. We might have gotten a good third weekend out of it -- we offered to do daytime matinees of this movie and bring in something else for the evenings, but (of course) the studio would not allow that. It's amazing how much money they leave on the table because they won't let us program our screen the way it would make the most sense. But back to the movie.

This movie has one major thing going for it: Jack Black. And to a slightly lesser extent, Awkwafina. The action and fight scenes are typical Dreamworks mania, but the movie has a lot of clever dialogue, some of which might have been improvised by the actors. The level of smart-assery is as expected in a Dreamworks film and I laughed out loud a few times. The animation is, as expected, fine and dandy.

The story has something to do with Po (the titular panda) having to choose a new successor to replace him as Dragon Warrior so he can accept a promotion to be "Spiritual Leader" and restore everyone's kung fu, which I suppose is along the same lines as bringing balance to the Force and keeping the Klingons from destroying the galaxy. I guess watching the other three movies might have helped, but I didn't have the time to do that. Anyway, I don't really know what went on, but it was a fun movie to watch.

Audiences are loving it and we've had some people here twice, so that's been great to see. I'll give it a 2 out of 5, but based on the reactions of people who know the story, it probably deserves a 3.

​we offered to do daytime matinees of this movie and bring in something else for the evenings, but (of course) the studio would not allow that. It's amazing how much money they leave on the table because they won't let us program our screen the way it would make the most sense.
    It's really tough to know who is doing more more to destroy moviegoing, the distributors or the big chains. smgdh

Comment

Working...
    X