Wish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish

Oh, Disney, Disney, Disney. Where to start?

I'll start with the good news. This is a nice looking, well-animated movie. It's miles and miles better than "Strange World" was last year. What an unpolished turd that was.

And it's refreshingly free of controversial content, at least I didn't see anything that might trigger the masses of sensitive types. Although some people might rightly be starting to question if there's ever going to be a male hero in a movie ever again.

The concept is interesting. The king of the land has charge of all the "wishes" of his subjects, and occasionally he holds a "wish ceremony" in which one of said wishes is granted. The twist is, once his subjects give him their wishes, they magically forget about them. So the people live blissfully unaware of their unrealized hopes and dreams. Most of them don't even realize that their wishes are being hoarded by the king.

Enter our hero, Asha. She's got an interview at the castle, with the chance to become the king's apprentice. She's also got the ulterior motive of hoping to influence the king to grant her 100-year-old grandpa's wish. But (there's always a "but"), she gets over-eager, and asks the king for her special favor before she even gets the apprentice gig. But she's seen all those ungranted wishes just floating around, and decides something must be done. In other words, she's challenging the king, to which he replies "Only I decide what wishes to grant." So Asha determines to "free" the wishes and give them back to their owners, so they can remember what they wished for and try to achieve those goals on their own, which of course would be much more satisfying than just having something handed to you.

How to accomplish this? Put together a band of forest creatures and storm the castle? Of course not! She's going to accomplish it by wishing on a star. And because it's such a profound and powerful wish, said star (whose name is "Star") comes out of the heavens and doesn't grant Asha's wish directly, but basically gives her the tools to get the job done.

It must be noted here that Star is one of the most annoying Disney characters to ever be invented. It's supposed to be cute, which it is -- they will probably sell a million plushy versions of it -- but it's like Tinkerbell without the personality. Unfortunately, most of the other characters, while not as annoying, are either wasted (the talking goat should have been a better sidekick) or not very memorable. The grand epic battle finale, which has graced about 90% of the Disney animated movies, is one of the weakest climaxes they've ever come out with.

The songs are all over the map from good to bad, but a couple of them are quite catchy. I found myself wishing that the lyrics would be displayed onscreen during the songs, which is not a bad idea, really.

The best thing about the movie is the look of it. The backgrounds are sort of textured-looking, as if they were watercolors painted on cloth. It's probably the most unique animation style they've done since "Lilo and Stitch." Too bad the story doesn't have that uniqueness.

The whole movie seems to be wanting to emphasize the same over-arching message that the Disney theme parks put forth, which is: Just keep wishing. If you wish hard enough, all your dreams will come true. Which is nonsense. I keep on going back to a different concept that is brought up, but then sort of papered over: The idea that working hard to achieve your wish, versus having something magically given to you, is much more satisfying, and makes perfect sense. It's too bad they didn't double down on THAT message.

I sure miss the days when people would come out of a Disney movie like "Lion King," "Toy Story," "Aladdin," "Finding Nemo," or "Frozen," going "Wow, that was SO GOOD!" We haven't seen that from a Disney movie in a long, long time. 2 out of 5 stars from me.
    Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 11-24-2023, 05:24 PM.

I see that Wish debuted at number three.

It wasn't all that long ago that any new Disney cartoon was guaranteed to be a box office juggernaut for several months. And now the best they can do is number three on the first weekend?

Has everyone at Disney who really knows how to do things left or been pushed out or pushed aside? I realize that it's difficult to catch lightning in a bottle but Disney used to have people who could actually do that on a consistent basis.

Comment

As has been discussed before...Disney has issues (and they are not the only ones). First, there are ideology issues with how stories should be made/told. The problem there is that they've alienated their core audiences to appease a smaller audience.

Second, like most studios, they've been teaching their customers to, instead of spending money at the cinema, to wait just a little bit to get it for "free" (part of the subscription, really, so not free, but considerably cheaper) on their streaming channel. The problem is there...you can't make back your mega million dollar movie that way. You aren't going to sell enough new subscriptions or retain enough subscribers to justify the cost of a major feature. So, they devalue their content.

Disney once understood the value of scarcity. They would pull titles from their catalog so they were not available (new) for a period of years (seven). Thus, for each generation of kids, the re-release of catalog titles was fresh/valuable. But, if they're all available all of the time on Disney +...they are all equally of low-value. When a new release is put into that pile just a few short days or a couple of months, it is devalued right along with them.

If they want their big releases to be big again, they need to make movies that entertain the masses...not just appease the noisy. They also need to stop this insanity of short release windows. Major releases should be a year away from the theatrical release...far enough away that when it hits streaming, it doesn't deter from whatever is coming out theatrically and also there is never the thought of "do we see it in the theatre or wait for it to come to streaming).

The bigger they make the movie theatrically, the bigger the draw will be when it finally makes it to streaming.

For now, the studios deflate their product on day-1 and it goes down from there.

Comment

Once again, another spot-on post from Steve, who probably has the highest "spot-on" percentage in all of Film-Tech.

Comment

The bind that the studios have put themselves into with the ultra short windows before "free" streaming is that it will take a herculean marketing effort to get some of the toothpaste back in the tube. Now that the conditioning has happened, they can't just increase the window on the next release. They'll have to do something drastic like market a 1 year to streaming window on the next mega budget franchise release.

The other factor that assists in the devaluation is that for some segment of the population the streaming releases are free. Between account sharing and the ease of people creating pristine copies to distribute illicitly there is a not insignificant percentage of people that don't need to even think about paying to see a movie in a theatre.

Comment

I think a jump from 45-90 day window to 6-month would be a good place to start and yes, you'd have to educate the consumer. Promoting the title...not just "Only in Theatres" but also note when it will be available in the home...so...if it is a summer 2024 release, note that it won't be available until 2025 in the home.

The longer release window should also bring back a secondary (sub-run) market...which would address some of the piracy as well as the "theatres are too expensive" noise as sub-run houses are, typically, cheaper. Having a low-cost venue, local, gives people a way to go out that might be on tighter budgets (people still want to go out). With a lower-cost option, the need for movie theft goes down. One thing digital cinema brings to the sub-run market is that their prints should look as good as the 1st run ones...unlike in the film days. Now, I have no doubt that sub-run theatres will still under-lamp and, otherwise, have a more economy experience...but you're also paying a bit less for that experience too.

Comment

Yeah, I even had a few customers comment that essentially the only reason they came in to see Wish this past weekend was due to it being a long holiday weekend. Otherwise they'd just wait since it comes out to Disney+ so quickly anymore.

I haven't heard anything overly negative about Wish either, but nothing shining. The kids enjoy it well enough the adults could take it or leave it.

Comment

Working...
              X