Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (2023)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (2023)

I swore up and down that we would not play this concert movie because they wouldn't give it to us on the break. But October and the beginning of November has been so horribly miserable that there is literally nothing else to play. So we took it for a weekend.

I was not disappointed in the sound. It shook the floor and rattled the rafters. We had a couple of loudness complaints so we wound up playing it a bit softer the last couple of shows, but I still thought the sound was impressive. Really good low end. And the lyrics were easy to understand. The visuals were top notch. The staging was amazing, with one jaw-dropping moment after another. More than anything, I wanted to see the behind the scenes video.

The concert itself was a bit of an overload for me. I'm not really a Taylor Swift fan - I find her music to be pleasant but it all started to sound the same around the middle of the show. She definitely knows her way around a pop hook, that's for sure. And knowing that the whole lyrical content of the show was based on her real life experiences kind of lent a Fleetwood-Mac-ish vibe to the proceedings, although Taylor, as talented as she is, will never be Stevie Nicks.

But as an old school concert guy, I was kind of left cold by everything being so tightly choreographed and staged. You got the impression that if you see this show twice, you're going to see two identical shows. No spontaneity at all. Even Taylor's between-song patter seemed to be "written." And the band was, for the most part, shuffled off into the far corners of the stage where they could barely be seen. The show was all about one person and her crew of dancers; the band is not deemed to be all that important, I guess.

I couldn't tell if the vocals were lipsynched or live. I'm guessing it was a combination of the two. The sound and production had a very obvious sheen laid over it -- it sounded like a studio recording with 70,000 teenage girls screaming overdubbed.

Businesswise, it just did OK for us. Part of this I blame on the fact that we didn't get it until Week 4; the bloom was off the rose. Also there's a bit of a TS backlash brewing, I think, due to her overexposure on NFL channels and a bit of bad blood generated by the fact that the media has been trumpeting that she's now a billionaire.

The other likely cause of our lackluster showing here was, we didn't know we were going to play it until Monday of last week, and we didn't receive the onesheets until Thursday, so we haven't been playing the trailer, so we did zero publicity for it. If they'd given it to us on the break we probably would have grossed 3x as much. But, that's movie distribution for ya. An industry run by idiots who don't understand that small town people have FOMO too, and their attention span is just as short.

The people who did come, though, loved it. So I'll give it a three out of five stars for being a crowdpleaser. It was certainly a lot more pleasant to listen to than "Exorcist: Believer" which was played to mostly single-digit crowds last week.

I've never really been a huge Taylor Swift fan, but making a judgement based on my "End of the Month" sales report for October, I kind of am now.

In 2020 during the height of Covid, we did the LIVE concerts here at the drive-in. LIVE as in full blown staging, lighting, and a wall of sound that got the cops called on us several times over the summer. These weren't local garage bands either. Our first LIVE concert was Keith Urban. Being 30 miles from downtown Nashville, we kind of had a little advantage of being close to home for many of the artists that played here. We did a whole summer of big concerts and made out like bandits. 2021 came, the live concert business was for the most part over, but ENCORE had a selection of "pre-recorded" concert films that they had available. Our first "pre-recorded" concert was Bon Jovi, and it it sucked, and I really like Bon Jovi. Might have had 30-40 cars tops. Our second and final "pre-recorded" concert film was FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE. It sucked worse than Bon Jovi. I told myself I was done with the pre-recorded concert business.

Enter Taylor Swift. When I first saw the release on that Thursday and saw it was an "AMC Exclusive" I was kind of envious, but wasn't sure how it would go over. I called my booker on Friday and inquired, and he said, "You probably don't want to commit to a 4 week run, I'd advise you to steer clear of it." By Monday I was getting bombarded on social media asking if we were going to play it. I called the booker again and asked if we could play it. He sent the contract details, we agreed and started making preparations. First thing I did was order 10 cases of popcorn tubs and cups as soon as I got the contact information for Goldenlink. Posted a "teaser blurb" on our social media pages and noted that online tickets would go "live" on Saturday afternoon at 5p.m. The local Swifties went absolutely nuts. We were at the drive-in when I clicked the "go live" button on our ticket sales, then we sat back and watched. 10 tickets, then 50, then 200. Within 2 hours we sold over 1,000 tickets, and it just kept going.

October 13th rolls around and it was an unbelievable first weekend. 16 people on staff and we could have used more. We've never had a $20k night at the drive-in in 20 years. We had two back to back the first weekend. More popcorn tubs and cups arrived on Monday.
    Second week dropped by 61%, but still the number were impressive. Third week dropped 40% from the previous weekend. The star was fading fast, but the Swifties were still spending money. By the time week 4 rolled around, I about had the lyrics memorized to all the songs. Crowds were sparse, but still brought in more money than the second week of Five Nights at Freddy's on the opposite screen. Last night was our final night for Taylor. Had "7" online tickets pre-sold, and 6 more bought tickets at the gate. It definitely was a "front loaded" engagement that slowly trickled to almost nothing... but it was financially worth it to us. Running our end of the month reports for October, it ended up being 4X what our typical Octobers would bring in. Didn't put us ahead by any means, but did help us play "catch up" from the lack luster summer since Barbie.

The best thing about the Taylor Swift Eras tour movie was that it brought out people who had never been here before. Its our job now to make sure they come back.

Comment

October 13th rolls around and it was an unbelievable first weekend. 16 people on staff and we could have used more. We've never had a $20k night at the drive-in in 20 years. We had two back to back the first weekend.
      Yep, the power of the opening weekend. I'll probably be dead in the ground before the studios wake up and realize how much they're losing by not giving their stupid movies to anyone who wants them on the break for as long as they want them.

Comment

Working...
      X