Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sisu (2022)

Wow.

Sisu is the best new movie I've seen in a good long while. It's essentially John Wick plus First Blood set in Finnish Lapland during the final days of WWII. It also seemed to borrow a bit from Tarantino in terms of basic storytellng and tension-building, but not in terms of scriptwriting. Sisu is light on dialog and runs a lean hour and a half. The cinematography was absolutely stunning.

I really wanted to see Sisu on the big screen when it was released in the U.S. earlier this year. Unfortunatly, modern film booking dictates that a small handful of tentpole releases monopolize the premium screens, despite the fact that showings on those screens usually hold smaller crowds than other auditoriums showing other new releases or even classics. As a result, Sisu only played in small auditorums with tiny screens. I've given up on seeing movies on those screens. The risk is just too high that I will end up wiith sound from adjacent auditoriums, misconfigured audio, stray light washing out the image, something stuck to the screen, or any number of other presentation problems.

Instead, I waited a few months* and paid $6 for three of us to watch it on my home theater.

Highly recommended.

* I would have waited a year or longer. The release window didn't factor into my decision-making one iota. There are plenty of other things I can do with my time and there's plenty of other good content I can watch at home. I don't need to pay big bucks to have a great movie ruined by a shitty presentation.
    Last edited by Geoff Jones; 07-15-2023, 09:07 AM.
Working...
X