The Lost King (2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost King (2022)

My wife recently started a new job, which is located close by the endangered Laemmle theater in Claremont, CA, and noticed that it was playing this pic, which she'd wanted to see since reading about it last fall. So we made a Sunday afternoon expedition of it, both to see the movie and to offer some support to the theater.

Sadly, it wasn't difficult to see why this place is struggling. I counted twelve in the audience for a Sunday afternoon show. If an arthouse movie in a college town, playing in a theater surrounded by a dozen trendy restaurants, can't pull a decent crowd at that time slot, it's hard to imagine when it ever could. The presentation was OK: maybe not quite 14ft-l, but good focus and convergence, and no hot spots. A keystone was clearly visible around the edges of the image: whether that was because Laemmle had made the conscious decision to show the whole frame with no cropping, or simply that the installer did not make a lens position and screen file to zoom and crop the image to fit the screen with the down angle, I don't know.

As for the movie itself, it's a dramatization of the events that led to the discovery and exhumation of the remains of King Richard III under a parking lot in Leicester, England, in 2013. The political controversy surrounding his death, the circumstances of it, and the regime change it led to has made this a hugely important moment in British history: establishing exactly what was done with his remains after he was killed in the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 had become one of those enduring mysteries, analogous to those who devote their lives to trying to find Amelia Earhart here (best comparison I can think of).

What makes this all the more remarkable is that it was an amateur historian, with no formal training in either historical research or archeology, who figured out where he was buried, after generations of professionals had tried and failed. This movie is essentially a hatchet job on all the professionals involved, and is especially critical of the involvement of the University of Leicester in the final phases of the project.

Whereas I generally like "underdog against the establishment" narratives, this one didn't really work for me. I simply could not empathize with Sally Hawkins's portrayal of Phillipa Langley: rather than feeling that she was a visionary being victimized by short-sighted skeptics, I found myself asking myself why she was determined to risk her family's financial security and alienate most of those who knew her over her obsession, and also being triggered by my natural intolerance of people who use their health issues as a weapon with which to guilt you into to falling into line with their agenda. That having been said, the slimy university administrator who stabs Langley in the back really did strike a chord: having worked for several years in British universities before emigrating to America, I've encountered way too many characters exactly like him: indeed, they are a big part of the reason why it'll be snowing in Hell before I ever work in education again.

Though the script, acting, and direction did not rise above competent for me, other elements of the production values did: in particular, Alexandre Desplat's music, adapting medieval dance tunes with jazz and syncopation, and the editing, which included some very elegant jump cuts on action (e.g. from a car door closing in Edinburgh to a close up of a JCB's claw cutting into concrete in Leicester). The opening titles appeared to be inspired by Saul Bass's for Psycho, too: whether that was supposed to be a comment about Richard III or not, I couldn't figure out.

The film has caused controversy: unsurprisingly, it pissed off the University of Leicester well and truly.

It should perform solidly with the arthouse crowd: I can only presume that there are local dynamics that make it very difficult to make the theater in which I saw it a success.

We've got it coming in Friday. It played at worst AMC multiplex in town last week and, of course, didn't make $200 for the week. I'm sure we can double that;> It has little old broad movie written all over it.

Comment

A movie like that is about as likely to draw a crowd at an AMC as Lizzo is to do a product endorsement ad for Ozempic. Hoping that there are enough tofu-munching, Two Buck Chuck-swigging retired profs among your regulars to make it a success!
      Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 04-04-2023, 08:22 PM.

Comment

This was one of the most successful screenings for me this season, back in February.

I guess I must have a lot of little old "broads" and "tofu-munching, Two Buck Chuck-swigging retired profs" amongst my patrons.

Or perhaps there is a lot of Sally Hawkins fans out there.

Or maybe people just took it as it was and did not try to critically analyse it.

Interesting that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes was way higher than the critics'. It seems to me, from an exhibitor's perspective, that audience appreciation is more important than a few critics.

Who knows? All I do know is that people enjoyed the movie and it was a financial success for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
          <edited quote> Hoping that there are enough tofu-munching, Two Buck Chuck-swigging retired profs
          among your regulars to make it a success!
          I don't think you could fit me into any of those demographics, but there's just something quirky enough about the topic
          (and me too, I guess) that I wouldn't mind going to see it. (Please tell me they didn't find 'the crippled king' buried under
          a "handicapped" parking space
          ! ) When tearing down an old building several years ago here in San Francisco, they found
          a queen. . but that's a different story. It's a shame Laemmle Theaters isn't doing a little better, especially given their family
          connection to Hollywood royalty. An article I have here, similar to the one you linked to, mentions that Claremont is the
          least profitable of the 7 Laemmle locations in Los Angeles.

<Additional Info>
          I just checked the box office reports for CA and actually "The Lost King" didn't really do all THAT bad at the Claremont
          Laemmle. They at least took in over $900 last Fri-Sat-Sun. Highest gross I could find for the Fri-thru-Sun period last
          week in the LA area was around the $1200 range at a couple of theaters. Rock bottom was $76 at one theater.
          THAT'S probably the place where all the little old ladies & tofu/2buck-chuck crowed went.

(and, technically, shouldn't they have called it "The Found King"?)
          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 04-05-2023, 01:57 PM. Reason: To Add Box Office Info

Comment

I am curious why they made a film of Phillipa Langley's quest when PBS did a documentary on the finding on Richard III's remains that showed essentially the same thing.

Comment

It was a British film made mainly primarily for a British audience, which is not the target audience for PBS, any more than Americans are the primary audience for BBC TV. The movie's US distributor is IFC, which specializes in foreign and arthouse movies. I haven't seen the PBS show, but would be interested to know if it sought to vilify the University of Leicester to the extent that the movie does.

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
              I don't think you could fit me into any of those demographics, but there's just something quirky enough about the topic (and me too, I guess) that I wouldn't mind going to see it. (Please tell me they didn't find 'the crippled king' buried under a "handicapped" parking space! )​
              Giggle! Langley's ex-husband made quite a good joke about Richard's hunchback in the movie, but I can't remember it. It wouldn't surprise me if Stephen Frears or his scriptwriter thought about having him dug up from under a disabled spot, but concluded that this would be a politically incorrect step too far (not to mention being not what actually happened).

As for the Laemmle Claremont, the only explanation I can think of for it continuing to struggle is parking. There is a structure on the next block, but when we arrived last Sunday afternoon it was full and we had to find roadside parking about a 10-minute walk away. I'm wondering if the main drag in Claremont has fallen victim to what Yogi Berra called the "No-one goes there anymore: it's too crowded" syndrome. In other words, downtown Claremont has acquired a reputation as being a pain in the ass to park at, which inhibits attendance at that theater. The theater itself is in what looks like an attractive location, well run, has an interesting range of quirky offerings at the concessions stand (e.g. craft beers and veggie samosas), and a nice mix of mainstream and arthouse in its five screens. Being only a few blocks from the Claremont Colleges, it should be a roaring success.

However, combined with the difficult parking is the fact that it isn't within easy walking distance of any residential blocks. The Aero in Santa Monica, which I used to work at pre-MiT, had a similar parking problem; but it was surrounded by residential blocks, and many of its regular customers walked there. Those loyalists, plus people who came because they really wanted to see what was playing and were therefore willing to put up with having to park 3-10 blocks away and walk, kept the place ticking.

Comment

Well, we did manage to crush AMC's grosses. Our percentage payment was more than their gross. Nonetheless, it still tanked. What audience there was enjoyed it.
                One of the script writers was Steve Coogan, who played the ex-husband. I thought he whole ghost of Richard III conceit was just annoying. The first 2/3 of the movie was pretty draggy. Once they had a bad guy to play against (University of Leicester) it at least had a little tension. Harmless fluff of a film. Always fun to watch Sally Hawkins.

Comment

I agree it's always fun to watch Sally Hawkins. We've seen several movies with her and liked them all. And, of course, King Richard was not buried under a handicapped parking space, but, instead, one marked R (either for Richard or Reserved).

Comment

Working...
                  X