Fall (2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall (2022)

Fall is a movie that I'm playing because I wanted to see it myself. I indulge myself that way sometimes.

What appealed to me about it is the premise and the fact that it's a "limited space" movie. When most of the movie takes place in a very small area (in this case a really high-up platform that's about five feet square) there's a great deal of creativity required to keep it interesting and make an engaging story out of it. The best comparison I can think of is Phone Booth from twenty years ago, where most of the action took place in, of course, a phone booth.

I really enjoyed Phone Booth, so I was hoping to see a similar level of creativity in Fall and I wasn't disappointed.

This is a movie that has to be seen on the big screen to have the right impact. I don't think it would be nearly as good on a television. Since it's a limited release movie most people won't have an opportunity to see it at the theatre and that's unfortunate.

First, a negative. Fall is distributed as Flat, but it's not. It's a goof-ball ratio like F-200 so it doesn't fit the screen. Growl.

The premise of the movie is that two young adventure-seeking women climb an abandoned radio tower which subsequently falls apart to a point that they have no way to get back down. So they're stuck on this little platform way up there, and what now?

There are a few rather obvious goofs in this movie, the most obvious being that supposedly experienced climbers wouldn't climb something like that without proper boots and gloves, but here they are in their running shoes and without gloves or any protective gear other than harnesses and a fairly short rope.

You know, just as I was typing that it occurred to me that this might have been a deliberate choice to show how reckless these character are so it might not be a mistake after all.

For someone who's afraid of heights in real life (like me) this movie has several scenes and shots that are absolutely vertigo inducing. The movie is intense. Very intense. I don't think I have had such an acute reaction to a movie in the past several years as what I got when watching Fall. It's literally a white knuckle movie.

The twist in the story is really creepy and dreadful. And definitely unexpected.

The ending is a bit underwhelming, but by that point it doesn't really matter. The rest of it more than makes up for any weakness in the ending.

Fall was probably made on a budget of about a dollar forty-nine, but the filmmakers took Avis to heart. "We try harder." Yup. And they succeeded very well indeed.

I wish they would have picked a standard aspect ratio, though.

I saw the trailer for this and decided I did NOT want to see it. I used to climb towers as part of my work, though the highest I did was a 250 foot self supporting tower swaying in the wind.

Comment

My brother-in-law is a (now retired) tower design engineer.

Better him than me, as they say.

So far this movie is doing a bit better than Beast, though not nearly as well as Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris.

Everyone comes out afterward looking pretty shell-shocked.

Comment

Working...
      X