Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)

I had fairly high hopes for this one after the last Thor (Ragnarok) did great business and everyone seemed to like it, but this movie just didn't have the buzz surrounding it that other Marvel titles had -- so we wound up passing over it on the break in favor of the new Minions movie, which was still doing good business. We opened Thor a week after the break -- which was unusual, but I think Disney was trying to goose their screen numbers, so for once they made a special consideration for single screens.

We've had people love it, and others have walked out of it. Absolutely nobody is coming out saying it was great. The biggest reaction I've seen is "it was pretty good." But I've had several "Well, that was different!" which is code for "I hated it."

The sound mix (at least, the 5.1 mix) was just bland. It doesn't have any punch compared to other movies. There are lots of good hard-rock songs in it too, which makes the anemic mix kind of sad. A friend of mine went to it in Billings at the Liemax in 3-D and he said it sounded pretty good there but he still wasn't blown away by the movie. He said it was "OK."

Bottom line, this is a movie that's going to be completely forgotten in the next month or so. Next!

This is a movie that's really disjointed in that it can't decide what it wants to be.

Some of it is a kids comedy with simple and silly dialogue, actions and motivations, but that's interspersed with more adult-oriented fight scenes and dialogue so the whole thing doesn't really come together into a single movie. Is this two different, shorter movies that were mashed together? It's neither a kids show or an adult movie. I'm not sure who the audience is supposed to be. Die-hard Marvel fans? Is that really a big enough group for a movie like this to target, and is this really what they want to see?

I agree with Mike in that the sound mix ain't up to much. The fight scenes would have had a lot more impact if the music was allowed to pound, but it wasn't and it didn't.

I have no idea who half of the characters are, probably because they are from some television shows or maybe obscure comics, neither of which I know anything about. But it wasn't all that great anyway so I don't feel like I missed anything.

There's a scene about two-thirds of the way through the movie where they are on a planet (or something?) where everything is in shades of gray and black with just a bit of colour here and there on someone's eyes or sword or whatever. That's a cool effect; the Sin City movies had that same look and I liked it there too.

So, I watched it, didn't understand some of it, but don't think I've missed out on anything.

Comment

Working...
    X