Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope (2022)

At the Cinemark Watchung Cinemas, Watchung, New Jersey

In 1998, the chimpanzee star of a television situation comedy suddenly goes berserk during the filming of a scene, and in the space of a few minutes slaughters his cast mates before being shot by police. Twenty-five years later, a survivor of the incident is running a wild-west amusement park next door to a ranch where a brother and sister train horses for motion picture work. Lately, though, they've become obsessed with capturing video footage of a flying saucer that emerges from a cloud over the ranch at the same time every night . . . except it may not actually be a flying saucer.

Nope is a tedious movie filled with a lot of questionable symbolism and is nowhere near as intriguing as its trailers made it seem. It appears on some level to be a commentary about the mistreatment of animals (one of the aforementioned symbols: early on a horse injured when a key falls from the UFO and hits it in the flank. Duh.) and on another level simply a Sodom and Gomorrah story. The photography is beautiful though (some or all of it was shot 65mm) and the sound design is top-notch. The performers all all OK, but the lead actor underplays his part to a frustrating extent, the lead actress makes up for this by being so manic as to be unintelligible. There are some pretty good thrills early on, but when the true nature of the mysterious object was revealed the audience I saw it with got very quiet.

If you are interested in director Jordan Peele and enjoyed his previous films, this may be worth a look, but a great science fiction movie this is not.
    Last edited by Mark Ogden; 07-21-2022, 10:49 PM.

My main issue with this movie is that the main actors have that urban black accent and I just can't understand what they say.

Since the explanation of the flying saucer and much of the rest of the movie is dialogue-driven, I simply didn't understand the story and had to read the Wikipedia article afterward to find out what I had just watched.

I guess it would have been at least an ok movie if I had understood it, but I didn't so... meh. I would have got more out of it if I had played it with subtitles. Now that I've read the story synopsis I could probably understand it better if I watched it a second time but I don't think I'll bother.

It's just not a movie that was made for the likes of me.

I've encountered this issue with understanding accents before but I think the movies were more action-driven so it didn't matter quite so much. I've played some British movies where their accent makes the actors almost unintelligible too. Somehow I haven't been exposed to enough of those kinds of accents in my life to be able to tune into them.

Oh well. Hopefully there will be people here coming to see it over the course of this next week. The inventory of "Big Summer Movies" sure seem to have run out fast this year, though.

Comment

Yeah we're even thinking of bringing "Top Gun Maverick" back again, the pool is so shallow. That would be a first for us -- bringing a movie back 3x in its first run.

Comment

I just remembered: What was that electric motorcycle the chap in the mirrored helmet was driving?

I've never seen an electric motorcycle that looks and apparently drives so much like a "real one".

Comment

Working...
        X