No announcement yet.

Top Gun Maverick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this movie tonight, it still seems to bring in the crowds on the weekends even after 2 months. I was perfectly happy waiting for the 4K Blu-ray to come out to see this, but the GF wanted to see it with her friend and bought three tickets, so I didn't have much of a choice. As for the movie itself, it's a good one and I like it a lot. Good pacing for the most part, though I did come away feeling bad for Val Kilmer in real life, poor guy.

Now on to the part where I explain why I wanted to wait for the 4K Blu-ray. The presentation at AMC Bowles Crossing 12 was horrible. The picture was extremely dim even though the bulb was overfocused. Not sure of they have a 3D element in front of the lens or they just run the bulb low to save those precious pennies. Or perhaps both. The image was also slightly fuzzy. Next, the sound sucked the big one. Or maybe the impotent one. The left surround was absolutely louder than the right, and it was rarely present to begin with. There was no discernible stereo separation from the speakers behind the screen. I could hear some subwoofer, too bad it was the subwoofer from whatever movie was playing in the adjacent auditorium bleeding through the walls. That's all I could hear though as the subs in this auditorium were either off or physically missing. The exit lights bled onto the screen washing the image out more than it already was in addition to adding a colored tint to both corners. The auditorium lights didn't dim all the way, maybe to about 5-10% further reducing contrast. Lastly the guy next to me kinda smelled. I did not appreciate the fact that he exists in this world, and his parents should feel shame.

Can someone tell me why movie theaters still exist? TVs at home with HDR engaged are much brighter with far better contrast and color. A sound bar purchased at Target gives better audio. I haven't seen a good presentation in a real movie theater since I projected myself. At least at home I have consistent quality, way brighter and better image and infinitely better audio. There's no way in advance to know if a movie theater will have good presentation, but at home I always know that if there's an issue, it's the disc. If theaters wanna compete with that, they all need to do better than what I can get at home. Sadly, nothing seems to have changed for the better in decades.

Oh and I will not pay premium prices for the premium auditoriums, mostly because I have more than 13 functioning brain cells.

Comment

Many of us here actually care about presentation quality so our audio and video will outperform anything at home, and especially what you experienced at that AMC.

Comment

Oh I'm sure. However that really doesn't effect my situation at all.

Comment

Was there any smaller chains or local theaters you could have seen it at?

Comment

Not really. I have a choice between Regal, Cinemark, and AMC here mostly, all of whom offer similar lacking presentations. There is Alamo Drafthouse as well but that would annoy me with the constant staff moving about, also don't know of they have the movie. There is a Landmark 14 plex where I had a similar unsatisfactory experience years ago (still light years above normal Landmark presentation quality). There are some RPX and IMAX shits I could have gone to if I wanted to spend the extra coin, but to me premium screens feel like a huge scam. I'm not really willing to keep buying tickets to movie theaters, not knowing what I'm gonna get presentation-wise. Screw theaters, I'm out. They can't compete with my living room that wasn't built for that purpose and effectively only has 3 walls. 4K discs are usually $20, less than the cost of two tickets, yet I get so much more.

Comment

This is a disappointing development, I was really expecting/hoping for a typical Redifer post taking the movie apart in a hilarious, snarky, yet endearing way.

There's no way in advance to know if a movie theater will have good presentation
              Well, there IS -- once you find one, you can be fairly sure they'll have good presentation going forward. Your problem is all the theaters around you are terrible. I feel bad for all of you Coloradans, there don't seem to be any good movie theaters in that whole state, or at least I've never heard of any, and the couple of times I've been to movies there (20 years ago or more) they've sucked.

I think what needs to go away is the mega-plex. A movie gets a good presentation for a couple of weeks (at higher prices, though) and then it gets shuttled off to some shitty 50-seat shoebox. They should have a few mid-level auditoriums that are regular priced but have a top-notch, if not fancy, presentation. Save the shoeboxes for the birthday parties.

I do fail to see why you object to paying a higher price for a premium screen, though. After all a fancy restaurant costs more than a little low-rent one.
              Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 08-01-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                I think what needs to go away is the mega-plex
                That process is already well under way, but there's thousands of them out there.

I was in much the same position about seven years ago, where I had sworn off theater going due to the predictably shitty technical presentations of the multiplex 45 miles away. Then I tried going to, of all places, our local 2 screener (2 miles away). The owner there seemed to actually care about his presentation and it was actually surprisingly decent. And that's how I rediscovered having FUN at a movie. Of course then I started managing the theater (and tuning the equipment myself) and IMHO it's only gotten better

It sucks that some are surrounded by bad multiplexes that have been forgotten by corporate. Especially when a movie like TG:M comes along, and it SCREAMS out the need for a big screen and great sound. It will not look or feel the same at home, guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakesley
                  I do fail to see why you object to paying a higher price for a premium screen, though.
                  I shouldn't have to pay a premium price to get an acceptable presentation is my point. The fact that I can't lessens my resolve to do so even more. Premium screens are a scam.

Originally posted by Dent
                  It will not look or feel the same at home, guaranteed.
                  God I hope not! My sound these days at home is mostly unmatched. Sometimes the media isn't done correctly, like the Lion King having the dialog duplicated across all three front channels. Though if I recall even the movie theater re-release did that as well. HBO's streams often are 10db too quiet, except for their subs. It's not loud just for the sake of being loud like IMAX, RPX or other "premium" screens... my audio actually has a pleasant EQ so it's fun to listen to loud at the equivalent of 7 (I set mine for 85db at "70" so more or less the same). The screen is big and bright AF and takes up a large field of view. What am I missing? Oh that's right... the smelly guy sitting next to me.

Comment

Preach it, Joe! Where I'm from the best we can hope for is Regal (which once the Tom Moyer Luxury Theatres near-monopoly long, long ago), AMC (the two former Cinetopia properties which started out shitty and got even worse after the takeover, especially the Cascade Park rat trap) and two little local singles that seem to care more about their history than putting on a show. I gave up on the local cinema scene about as long ago for the very reasons you state. You and I are kind of in the same boat. (Oh. Lucky you..... <--Joe )

Portland, of course, has a little more variety in its trashy megaplex brands than Vancouver..... nobody in their right mind goes to them any more since who wants to be robbed or attacked by some bum/tweaker/nutter, have their car vandalised/stolen or their catalytic converter ripped off?
                    Last edited by Van Dalton; 08-01-2022, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X