Uncharted (2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncharted (2022)

It's based on the video game, so the first question is, does this movie check off the video-game-movie boxes?

- Goofy, implausible story? Check
    - Unbeliveable, physics-defying action? Check
    - Good-looking female (braless in at least one scene)? Check
    - Happy, but sequel-ready, ending? Check

I watched this one with my wife, who likes both Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg, expecting to fall asleep and/or hate it. But I came out with a smile, because it really was a fun ride.

It's basically a live-action Looney Tunes movie -- the big pirate ships in the latter part of the movie are dead ringers for the ships Yosemite Sam was always getting blown up in. But the action never slows down, and I would watch it again in a heartbeat.

The story involves a treasure map, a few different oceans and continents, and one action scene in particular (that, in a clever twist, is actually shown twice, but from different points of view) that tries to out-Cruise the Mission Impossible movies. It is basically an Indiana Jones movie crossed with a James Bond movie and sprinkled lightly with some Pirates of the Caribbean spice. Jack Sparrow even gets a mention at one point. Tom Holland manages to get out of the Spider-Man mold. The movie has a lot more good dialogue than you would normally expect for this kind of flick.

Special efx are obviously heavily CGI'd, but as I said, it's basically a live action cartoon so you might as well just hang on for the ride.

Ten times better than Moonfall, the other new flick we played this month.

3.5 out of five stars from me.

We enjoyed 'Uncharted' very much. the Scotts Valley Cinema had good crowds for the Thursday night shows.

Great stereo surround in the split mix. Nice rich color with the water scenes a standout. I think word of mouth will bring the movie crowd back for this ' Uncharted ' adventure.

Comment

Good dialogue, good pacing, and agree on the rich coloring of the water scenes. This film doesn't drag out and I appreciate that. I've been hearing people say they've been anticipating this film for a couple weeks now which is nice to hear. Good word of mouth should bring them back in after the disaster that was Moonfall.

Comment

According to reports, this movie and "Dog" (the other major release this week) are both overperforming expectations. I love a surprisingly good weekend -- we've had nice crowds overall.

Comment

We had a near sellout on a Sunday evening. Granted school is out tomorrow but that's still unusual.

Comment

Our crowds have grown every day. I think a good share of the reason is we had a basketball tournament going on. On Friday, our team was still in it... on Saturday, we were out, but a couple of other nearby towns were still in. Then of course on Sunday it was over. But then the weather turned to crap, which probably affected our crowd some last night, but we still had a good showing for the Sunday matinee.

Audiences for the most part are giving it thumbs up. You don't have to understand the game to get the movie, which is a plus.

Comment

Finally watched it. It was definitely fun. Won't win any awards, won't advance mankind in any way, but fun.

Comment

Working...
              X