Batman Returns (1992) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman Returns (1992) Question

Can anyone remember and tell me what the attached trailer was on Batman Returns (1992).
    Thanks

IIRC, I think it was for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but I am not 100% sure.

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      Roger rabbit was 1988 so you might be thinking of the first Batman

Comment

I can't even remember the trailer that came attached to one of the 35mm films I ran last
        week.... come to think of it, I can't even remember the film. So, 1992 is just a fog to me . .​

Comment

In addition to the date issue:
          Roger Rabbit was Disney.
          Batman Returns was WB.

I think it's safe to say that is NOT the correct trailer.

What is the purpose of the inquiry? Do you have access to a print? Almost always the title of the attached trailer would be handwritten onto the negative's reel 1 leader.

Comment

I distinctly remember seeing this in cinema back in 1992, it was the first movie in SR-D, so I had to see it in SR-D. Unfortunately, there were zero theaters within the first 300 lightyears equipped with SR-D at that particular spacetime. In retrospect, I read somewhere it premiered with just like 10 screens in SR-D in the U.S. with the relatively short-lived Dolby DA-10. So, bummered out at not being able to see it in SR-D (and nobody really understanding why I made such a fuzz about it), I ended up seeing this in a local cinema... I distincly remembered the trailer to be "Unforgiven", but since this wasn't in the U.S. and I don't know if someone decided to swap the trailer, your mileage may vary.

If you DO have a print, it would be interesting to know if it's a 1992 original and if so, if it does have SR-D.

Comment

I'm almost certain that the attached trailer was for "Stay Tuned," with John Ritter and Pam Dawber.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Miller View Post
                In addition to the date issue:
                Roger Rabbit was Disney.
                Batman Returns was WB.

I think it's safe to say that is NOT the correct trailer.

What is the purpose of the inquiry? Do you have access to a print? Almost always the title of the attached trailer would be handwritten onto the negative's reel 1 leader.
                The Grand Poo-Bah is right, but I do seem to recall some prints with other studios' trailers "attached" (in the literal sense of lab splices) way back in the late 80's.Since I was mainly doing first run back then, most prints I got were "fresh from the lab".

Then again, like Jim, sometimes I can't remember what I had for breakfast much less something a few decades ago. So who TF knows?

I did find this in the Forum Archive: http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb...=002955#000000

But no mention of an attached trailer. Since that was a showing from 2008, of a possible archival print, it is likely that the trailer had been removed.

One thing that I did remember from way back was the Days of Thunder/Dick Tracy taglines war, where DoT was something on the lines of "You can't stop the Thunder" to which DT responded with something the effect "Wait till you see how big our Dick is..." IIRC Dick Tracy bombed compared to Thunder. Oops...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                  I distinctly remember seeing this in cinema back in 1992, it was the first movie in SR-D, so I had to see it in SR-D. Unfortunately, there were zero theaters within the first 300 lightyears equipped with SR-D at that particular spacetime. In retrospect, I read somewhere it premiered with just like 10 screens in SR-D in the U.S. with the relatively short-lived Dolby DA-10. So, bummered out at not being able to see it in SR-D (and nobody really understanding why I made such a fuzz about it), I ended up seeing this in a local cinema... I distincly remembered the trailer to be "Unforgiven", but since this wasn't in the U.S. and I don't know if someone decided to swap the trailer, your mileage may vary.

If you DO have a print, it would be interesting to know if it's a 1992 original and if so, if it does have SR-D.
                  IIRC, the DA-10 was in the neighborhood of $20k, with the reader (almost $44k in today's dollars). I guess DLP laser projectors aren't too bad in comparison to a camera, decoder and D to A converter.

Comment

Ironically, I will be showing this flick in early December. Unfortunately, my calendar
                    doesn't indicate if it will be in 35mm or a DCP. Of course if it's 35mm there's no
                    guarantee the original trailer(s) will attached. Sometimes you can tell what trailers
                    were originally attached is to look at the film's DTS disk if it comes with one, but if
                    my memory is correct,DTS didn't come out until a year or so after this film was released.

Comment

I believe the answer is “Unforgiven.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                        Ironically, I will be showing this flick in early December. Unfortunately, my calendar
                        doesn't indicate if it will be in 35mm or a DCP. Of course if it's 35mm there's no
                        guarantee the original trailer(s) will attached. Sometimes you can tell what trailers
                        were originally attached is to look at the film's DTS disk if it comes with one, but if
                        my memory is correct,DTS didn't come out until a year or so after this film was released.
                        The first feature release with DTS was Jurassic Parc, released in 1993. Initially, DTS managed to capture a bigger number of theaters around here than Dolby with SR-D, mostly due to being a more affordable option for digital sound. As such, I even was able to see it in DTS in a local theater. Actually, I've also seen it in SR-D and I remember liking the SR-D version better, although I guess the theater I've seen that one in simply had a better B-chain than the DTS one, but that was 30 years ago... both theaters have since been converted to something else...

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post

IIRC, the DA-10 was in the neighborhood of $20k, with the reader (almost $44k in today's dollars). I guess DLP laser projectors aren't too bad in comparison to a camera, decoder and D to A converter.

The digital scanning system Dolby employed used to be pretty cutting edge back in 1992. The same could nowadays probably be done with a mobile phone camera and the on-board processor of said phone, but back then, processing data at those bitrates, decompressing the AC-3 multi-channel audio stream in real-time was quite a feat and required custom engineered hardware. Later models were equiped with Dolby's ASIC, which brought the costs down considerably.

DTS managed to bypass the optical scanning, replacing it with a cheap photocell solution and allowing them to use mostly off-the-shelf hardware to build their decoder. This made their system more affordable.

But, look at what the initial price was of the CP-850 when it was released back in 2015. That machine is essentially just a glorified SuperMicro PC server with some DSP cards in it and its initial list-price was that of a very comfy luxury car, for just the processor and the Atmos license...
                        Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 11-22-2023, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

The digital scanning system Dolby employed used to be pretty cutting edge back in 1992. The same could nowadays probably be done with a mobile phone camera and the on-board processor of said phone, but back then, processing data at those bitrates, decompressing the AC-3 multi-channel audio stream in real-time was quite a feat and required custom engineered hardware. Later models were equiped with Dolby's ASIC, which brought the costs down considerably.

DTS managed to bypass the optical scanning, replacing it with a cheap photocell solution and allowing them to use mostly off-the-shelf hardware to build their decoder. This made their system more affordable.

But, look at what the initial price was of the CP-850 when it was released back in 2015. That machine is essentially just a glorified SuperMicro PC server with some DSP cards in it and its initial list-price was that of a very comfy luxury car, for just the processor and the Atmos license...
                          Very good point on the cost. It would probably be a fun project to write an app to decode a Dolby Digital 35 mm bit stream with a phone. I guess it would require some proprietary documents on how the data was encoded on the data blocks. In a way, I guess Dolby pioneered QR codes.

Comment

Working...
                          X