DTS reader 35mm -> 70mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTS reader 35mm -> 70mm?

So, earlier today I was browsing Facebook, and in one of the numerous projection related groups I am in I was able to snag a near-mint 35mm DTS reader someone was giving away. I believe it is the D600 model but I don't have my hands on it yet so I can't confirm.

We've been interested in adding DTS capability in our theatre for some time now. However, we really want it for 70mm - having it on 35 would be nice I suppose but we're usually doing Dolby and basically can't screen any modern 70mm prints because at the moment we only have mag in that format.

So my question - was there ever a kit or something sold to modify the reader to 70mm? Has anyone modified this reader for 70mm operation?

I'm looking at making a project out of it. My hobby is this stuff but my field of study is mechanical engineering and I am quite experienced as a machinist. I suppose all that's required would be machining new pulleys, standoffs, and a spacer for the actual unit. Is it that simple? I know there's a gentleman on eBay doing a similar thing and selling them.

Thanks all.

Hey Nicholas,
    We had a old 35mm dts reader modified last year to run 70mm.

Check the DTS manuals for the offset differences between 35mm and 70mm, because that was the key to getting it working. Basically the 70mm timecode location is way closer to the edge than the 35mm.

But yes, you will need a machinist to make new rollers or modify them. The rest of the hardware can be reused.

I have only tested it with one print but it worked no problem.

Markus

Comment

Yep its totally doable. Here is what Markus is talking about.
      Attached Files

Comment

70mm DTS readers

Comment

Magna-Tech, Florida does that.

Per

Comment

Working...
          X