First “attached” trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First “attached” trailer?

When did the film industry start issuing “attached” coming-attraction trailers (i.e. lab-printed onto the head of Reel 1)? Do you recall the first print you handled that came with an attached trailer?

I tried googling on this topic but it's so obscure and random that there doesn't seem to be anything about it on the web....that's a rarity!

I remember the trend happening but I don't know exactly when it was. I'm guessing sometime in the late '80s?

I do remember cutting off a lot of the attached trailers because our booker would tell me we'd never play that movie. I'd always keep them though, just in case. I never re-attached one.

The last few years of film were a bit like Christmas when it came to opening the cans on a new print -- you never knew what you were gonna get. Sometimes they'd send 6 or 7 trailers and still have another one attached on the feature. Trailers were often hard to get for a single screen, so I kept virtually all of the ones that came with films, unless we already had them or if I was absolutely certain we'd never play that movie.

Then there was the "chasing" trailer, in which you would receive an overnight shipment of a trailer that they would insist you add to your trailer pack for the upcoming blockbuster. These were almost always for obscure movies. We still get one occasionally, on a thumb drive of course.

A far cry from the "old" days when National Screen Service kept serial numbers on every trailer and would charge you if you didn't return them (at your own expense, of course).

Comment

On the other hand, the first "attached" trailer I've seen on the digital cinema stuff was with Don't Worry Darling, which had a trailer for Oppenheimer at the start.

Comment

I was working at an outdoor theatre in 1976. They routinely did not play trailers, so I am assuming that the Charles Bronson "St. Ives" trailer in front of "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was attached. That would be my earliest memory (or guess.)

Comment

Working...
        X