Cue tape availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue tape availability

I have a friend asking about 1/4" cue tape... is there anyone out there still carrying it?

Google is your friend: (used search terms "foil cueing tape 1/4 inch")

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/4inch-Copper-.../dp/B00HHCS4AM This is copper and will hold up better than aluminum

Also Amazon, but a 2 pack of copper: https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Rolls-.../dp/B01CH4LYZ6 (This style might be a bit too thick for film use, check specs first.)

ULINE: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

These sources (except ULINE) are probably cheaper than any cinema supplier, if any still carry this stuff....

Comment

As of 2019 (their most recent catalog) Kelmar was still selling their cue applicator and cue tape in 1/2" and 3/16". They have not updated their catalog since then but likely still have it in stock. The price then was $11 per roll.

Comment

Cue applicator? I never knew there was such a thing.

I always used to just cut off a piece and fold and tuck it into place by hand.

Comment

frank, the kelmar applicator uses 1/2" foil and punches a 1/4" round dot onto the frame lin in in six different patterns used exclusively with the kelmar digital cue detector, places up to 3 dots across frameline, either inbd, outbd, ctr, or inbd/ctr, outbd/ctr, inbd/outbd for the six cue failsafe, a nicely made precision unit well overbuilt to andys specs! sold quite a few of them! normally i used to sell 3/16" cue foil, 1/4" is too wide and when folded over the film edge it disrupts the soundtrack...search under 'metal foil tape, 3/16", for cueing magnetic tape... jacro probably still has it...i will take a pic of the applicator and post it soon...

Comment

Neat!

That's far more hi-tech than anything I ever used. I just had left side turn the lights down, right side crank 'em back up.

The movie companies hadn't yet got the idea of making the trailer soundtracks blow you out of your seat, so I didn't have to worry about adjusting the volume that way.

Comment

Is this Keller applicator compatible with the Component Engineering FM-35 cue detector too? It sounds like the positions are the same. I’m using the FM-35 in my setup, works very well. For now I just manually place small 1/4in foil tape. But I’d be interested in this applicator if anyone has one for sale.

Comment

Don't know about the compatibility (I'd guess the proprietary systems don't work together) but I think the Kelmar system is definitely the best foil cue system. It's small, easy to apply and remove, doesn't disrupt the soundtrack, and doesn't leave the adhesive mess that the long strips of foil do. Only downside is that you can see the shadow on screen in Scope, and if you put the cue directly on the film you can cause damage when removing it. Putting a layer of splicing tape down first allows you to remove it without leaving a trace.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Call Jack Roe here in Nashville, not sure IF they still have it or not. But they used to. Be sure not to get old stuff! Get the freshest possible. The glue on tape tends to get gummy on most tapes as they sit on the shelf.

Contact info is as follows....
                  Jack Roe USA INC
                  206 S 11th St, Nashville, TN 37206
                  Hours:
                  Open â‹… Closes 5PM
                  Phone: (615) 331-9370

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                    Cue applicator? I never knew there was such a thing.

I always used to just cut off a piece and fold and tuck it into place by hand.
                    Only for use with their cue detector! It positions the cue in the right place. And the cue tape is just a dot.

Comment

yo mark...you should read the posts! i explained the kelmar applicator a few threads up! are ya parroting me? nyuk nyuk nyuk! fyi i emailed jack roe in nashville, he hasnt had any cue foil in years and doesnt know were to find it. the closest i can find is 1/4" on epay...

Comment

I occasionally found where someone had used copper stained glass foil as cue tape.

The adhesive was a problem to remove and the tape was extremely stiff going through our Simplex so I ad to remove all of it.

This is NOT a good, although easily available, material for your purpose.

Comment

Years ago many of the Cinemation MK4 used the foil tape for window break detectors

Comment

Originally posted by John Eickhof View Post
                            yo mark...you should read the posts! i explained the kelmar applicator a few threads up! are ya parroting me? nyuk nyuk nyuk! fyi i emailed jack roe in nashville, he hasnt had any cue foil in years and doesnt know were to find it. the closest i can find is 1/4" on epay...
                            Post your picture! Brad shouldn't have even let you in without one. Come on! i KNOW THERE ARE CAMERAS THAT TALL!

Comment

The only truly good cue tape was made by Neumade (Aucuta II). It came in strips and fit perfectly on the edge of the film like is shown in this photo. It had an adhesive that never wore off, but could be cleanly removed without much effort or risk of scratching the film (when applied to the edges like this).

Folding the tape over the edge is a bad idea. It always creates a disturbance in the image. Similarly the Kelmar "dots" cues also create a disturbance and are difficult to remove without making a scratch, hence the advice above to lay a piece of clear splicing tape down first. The problem is no traditional splicing tape (except for a specific 8-perf type which virtually nobody has) will go through unnoticed.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X