Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Going to ShoWest,? Probally not (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Going to ShoWest,? Probally not
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have never been to Showest, and being a Theatre Owner now for 5 years I thought maybe I should. So I got on the website and checked, I had no idea how EXPENSIVE IT IS!! It says the full registration is like $1,000... Has it always been that high, just wondering, and do you think it is really worth it??

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 10:15 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worth every penny!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 10:19 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I am no longer working at a theater after moving out west, I think I will be making a trip up to Vegas for the FT gathering. All depending on the date and time...gotta see Scott drunk in a tub before I die [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you just spent some $$ on repairs with your dealer ask him. They usually have a display booth at Showorst as well. We generally supply all of our big customers or those that ask for Showorst Trade Show Paasses when ever we can. Dealers get them free.

I used to attend the whole regala but don't any longer..... Its worse than walking through the largest Multiplex in SLC between show times.... you're just another head of cattle grazing from one end of Balley's to the other and then back again. But since you've never been to it and are a theatre owner you might want to indulge in the whole affair just to see what its about. Most theatre owners that I know with the exception of one or two just attend the trade show. Most are already well set in their way of buislness and just attend to look at new seating, sound, and projection. And then there is the all important freindship aspect where you see folks just once a year or so. Also if you go plan to sit in on the SMPTE meeting so you can see how standards and other industry technical problems are delt with. There is also (hopefully) the Film-Tech Drink Night to attend and you can meet other F-T'ers and see Guttag's "Mountain OF Cheese"...

Mark

P.S. Me... I will be there for a while and then I have more important things to attend to like exploring old Nevada Ghost Towns and the like..... That is way more fun than any projector show!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-05-2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody should go at least once to see all the ridiculous hoopla. I went in '95 and haven't been since, but would like to take my wife because she's never been. So we keep talking about it, or possibly ShowEast which neither of us have been to.

BTW, congratulations on the worst-spelled and worst-punctuated thread title of the year so far.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that event take place somewhere in Europe too?

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CinemaExpo in Amsterdam (at the RAI convention center). This year
June 26-29. About half as big as ShoWest and half as fun.

Iīve been to ShoWest 5 times the last 7 years, and I just love it.
Bought the whole package twice, but itīs not worth the money. The
price is way too high. The great thing about it is the Trade show
and Las Vegas. Included in the trip for us are also 2 or 3 days in
New York or Los Angeles. We try to see as many theaters as
possible.

Thomas

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you own a theater or even manage a theater, wouldn't something like this be a write off of sorts?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 05:50 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd still have to pay the $1000 just not the income taxes on the $1000. Also the airplane tickets and the hotel and the eats, plus the lost time away from your job. I went once and have no real desire to go again

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-05-2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
like exploring old Nevada Ghost Towns
What kind of Ghost Towns? Gold digger towns? I know Calico, CA, on the way to Vegas but I found it a little disappointing. It had been well conserved, or actually, too well, with paved streets and a Coke vending machine outside the saloon. That didn't really allow the Western flair to unfold.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-05-2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, much of Calico burned to the ground a few years ago and has since been rebuilt, so those parts are now recreations, not actual old stuff. It does get a fair amount of tourist traffic, hence the paved roads. The old west part of the Knott's Berry Farm theme park in Buena Park is based on Calico.

Nevada has many real ghost towns, a couple of which have become popular tourist attractions. But the rest of them are just what they are - abandoned towns left to wither away in the harsh desert. Virginia City, home of the Comstock Lode in Storey County near Reno, is the most touristy. Gold Hill, just down the hill from Virginia City, is more typical. Genoa, the oldest town in Nevada and just south in Douglas County, is also touristy and has also become quite gentrified, with a Japanese-owned golf course and million-dollar-plus homes for aging ex-yuppies escaping from California.

Goldfield, in Esmeralda County, is probably the most well preserved without much in the way of actual preservation activity going on. Many of the buildings like the courthouse and post office are in remarkable shape, probably because of their brick and stone construction. Rhyolite, in Nye County, is much more typical in its decay - it's masonry buildings haven't fared nearly as well. Of course most of these ghost towns featured wood construction, and by far these are the ones now in the worst shape.

When I used to drive van loads of teenage CAP cadets to Reno for summer encampments, we made a point of stopping to see some of these places along the way. Sort of a living history lesson for Nevadans.

Ghost Towns of Nevada

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-05-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, ShoWest registration does NOT cost $1000 unless you register on site. (Even then it's a bit under -- unless you're from outside the US.) It's still awful expensive though. When I went in 1995 it was $500 for the full package for NATO members.

NATO/ITEA/NAC Members - $845 per person
Non-Members - $940 per person
Onsite - $995 per person

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
What kind of Ghost Towns?
Exploring old ghost/mining towns is one of my passions in life. Lots of them can be found through out Nevada. California and the Mountain States also have quite a few. Believe it or not they number on the hundreds! A good example of a "living" or well preserved Ghost Town is Pioche, NV . and it is one of the more interesting of them all. Pioche began in 1864 and at it heyday it had 7000 residents. Today there may be 200 there total. There is an interesting cemetary there with more real outlaws burried than any place else. In fact Pioche was such a voilent place during its heyday that 72 people were burried in the cemetary before anyone died from natural causes. Historic Pioche as far as I know has no equal in terms of a "living" Ghost Town. There are alot of mone remnants left and some remnants look to be in such good shape that they look like they were just shut doawn a few years ago.

Bodie, CA . is another fantastic and well preserved Ghost town. Although its not lived in it is now a California State Park.

Anyway a couple of good books you can get are " Roadside History Of Nevada " by Richard Moreno and " Ghost Towns Of The American West ", Photographs by Berthold Steinhilber. Steinhilbers erie photos are all done at night or at twilight and he uses strobe lighting to paint light on the buildings of famous ghost towns. These photos have to be seen to be appreciated [thumbsup] .

Mark

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds of that Simpsons episode where they were in a wild west ghost town, and the tour guide says "now over here is an authentic old time hitching post, which may or may not have been used by outlaws", and then everyone takes pictures of it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-05-2006 10:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I'm going cuz my boss wants me to - to get some "learning" in after I told him that I want to get something more of what's out there instead of looking at old STRONG equipment all the time.

Be my first time and definitely looking for it - knowing that's going to be a 'zoo' of sorts, but you only have to do it at least one time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: