Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Showest 2005 (and Film-Tech Drink info) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Showest 2005 (and Film-Tech Drink info)
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 08:44 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I trust there will be a tribute to one person who won't be there, Paul Thompson?

|  IP: Logged

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is with Phil, Let's go to Jen's house for drinks...gin & tonic please, it's been a long time since I was in AZ.....I'll be @ showest, see y'all Wed. night

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-14-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What time for Quark's? I can actually make it this year.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2005 02:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No time has been set for Quarks. We sort of just wing it each year and keep in touch via cell phones. Just give Aaron Sisemore or myself a call. [Smile]

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm going to ShoWest!
As I've never been before, do I have to register in advance to attend the Drink on Wednesday or just show up?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-14-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, just show up. Everyone is welcome whether they are forum members or not.

MAPS WITH SPECIFIC INFO AVAILABLE AT THE
LIGHTING IMAGES TECHNOLOGY
QSC AUDIO
and
JACK ROE USA
BOOTHS

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-16-2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In walking around ShoWest one cannot help but notice lots of promotion for DLP--the logo's on every ID badge and there's lots of posters everywhere. The catch phrase on those posters is, "Film is a four letter word." Nice. Nice way to foment more ignorance amongst the non-technicals who will make the buying decisions while simultaneously denegrating the efforts of true film professionals, isn't it? I'll remember that line when I'm a VP Engineering making equipment recommendations for my circuit.

And DLP is still not ready for prime time. Not when they have projector/server crashes (made worse by a too-long sloppy recovery) in the middle of studio screenings, as happened to WB yesterday afternoon at the Paris 'Le Theatre des Arts'. This was with two DLP projectors, each with a dedicated server, playing one film, with a small army of engineers hovering over it. I can imagine how this scenario will play out in the typical multiplex, when the engineering support will come over the phone from an outsourced tech in India. [Wink] And I-as-a-theater-owner am expected to pay how much for this per screen? I'll get back to you on that.

Film is a four letter word? Yeah, right. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-16-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, why don't you tell THEM while you are there that it is humorous that it takes a small army of people to run one machine, but one dude can effectively run 24 film machines without any server crashes. You have the opportunity NOW. Use it! I want to know their stupidfied reaction!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-16-2005 02:54 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did Monday night's screenings using the Kodak Digital Cinema System go at the Century Orleans 18?:

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

quote:
Please join Kodak Monday, March 14, for "An Evening of Independent Film" featuring a special digital pre-show and full-feature digital experience, at the Century Orleans 18 Theatre. Screenings at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., with a reception following the first screening.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-16-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Kodak need an army of personnel to operate a single digital projector which a manager could supposedly do remotely? If so, I'd say the screening went horribly. Having an army of personnel is like saying "We're not confident enough in our machine to run it the way we are telling theater owners they can run it. That's because our machine sucks!"

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-16-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't there, so I don't know. But the Kodak system is designed to fit into current theatre operations and automation systems.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not to change the subject or anything, but I do see that ShowEast is coming to Orlando FL again this year, and if it's anything like ShoWest, I want to attend. Does anyone know how much it cost for it, and if there are any discounts for booking early? Also, will FT be there?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-16-2005 08:22 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ShowEast: http://www.showeast.com

ShowEast Registration

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2005 10:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
This was with two DLP projectors, each with a dedicated server, playing one film, with a small army of engineers hovering over it.
Actually this very scenerio played out with an HBO premiere at Radio City Music Hall. They has 2 projectors just in case but neither DLP projector would function from either server! No show and they sent close to 5000 people home that night. HBO has since gone back to premiering their stuff on 35mm film.

Joe, I look forword to the day when you are one of the team of booth personell hoveriong over one of those DLP thingys trying to assess the damage [Wink] !

Mark

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 09:15 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to know whose server they were using.

So long as they don't come and try to grab mine. [Smile]
Oh yeah, they don't own the equipment I use now and besides that, both are being used for Robots. [Frown] (Why the sad face, one is in my largest house that will have a lot of wasted seats this weekend that could be used for Ring 2)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: