Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » need advice on new platter systems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: need advice on new platter systems
Corey J. Esser
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Corey J. Esser   Author's Homepage   Email Corey J. Esser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
~~~I am in the process of replacing our current CFS ESP-platter system & am interested in seeing what other projectionists/managers think is the best choice for new platters.

Our support company is trying to sell us 6 "super platter" systems, but from the research I've done online those don't sound like very good systems.

Any advice/links/personal experience is appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-31-2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ESP platter handles film very well, similar to a Christie or Kinoton platter. Parts are available from the company that took over most of the CFS product line......Lighting Images Technology. Dick Niccum, the owner, was the chief engineer and co-owner of CFS. Super Platter is their economy line of platters and most people complaints are regarding the "antique" microswitch model which does not handle film as well as the ESP. The Super Platter line does have an upgraded "electronic" version....so what is your vendor selling you??

www.lightingimages.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Super Platter is probably my most hated platter of all time. See this review.

If however you want a quality platter, there are 3 solid choices.

*Christie AW3. Best platter out there. Needs no modifications. Mid-priced unit.

*Kinoton ST-200. Solid platter, but has some stupid design flaws like not being able to use 2 brains, a different threading path if using the bottom platter, no place to mount a film cleaner, etc. On the flip side it's built like a tank! Watch the Kinoton/Ian Challenge to see what I mean. Expect to pay quite nicely for this unit.

*SPECO LP-270. Very smooth platter, but their brain design needs some serious work. See the LP-280 review on this site to see how you can redesign the brains. Also beware the three upper rollers on the elevator are on shafts that are easily bent. The payout rollers on the side of the tree need extended bolts on them so static electricity doesn't drag the film up against the tree and scratch it. Finally every roller needs to have a keeper roller added. Beware also this platter suffers from having "fins" underneath the deck for support. See the Strong platter review to see what kind of damage this can cause if you need to makeup or breakdown on a deck over a payout deck. This is a economy priced platter.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-31-2005 03:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love that review on the STRONG platters that Joe wrote in the review section.

I've done two small modifications:

1-With the older brains with that tri-roller setup with the bracket over the center roller, I disassembled that unit and place the bracket underneath the angled roller as the newer brains look like. Easy *mod* there. And much easier threading.

2-On the MUT: the communication cord. That ball stop LOVES to take the wiring out of the MOLEX connector-even with the strain relief in place, since most booth clowns just let that cord snap back into the MUT housing. To end this problem, I took the ball stop and moved it down the cord about six inches, then on each side of the ball, took wire ties - one by each end of the ball - and secured the wraps so the ball is locked in this position. With this, the ball doesn't hammer against the MOLEX connector and wanting to yank the wires out of the connector housing.

STRONG platters aren't that bad if one knows how to operate and work with them.. But, if you have the microswitch variety insted of the phase control variety, plan on replacing switches once a year, since they won't let you know when the get tired.. they just do.

..little tips... thx -Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one thats even worse by my expereince with them over the last 5 years and that is the entire Xetron/Neumade Neutronic(Neurotic) line of platters.. Absolute crap! I'd take a well tuned Super Platter ANY DAY over a Neurotic Platter. The people that built and designed these should have been forced to run a multoplex full of them as punishment [evil] . I can thank the lord that I never ran into any of these in the previous 16 years of working in this field [thumbsup]

Here's my list......

1. Lousy payout head locating pin that constantly falls out. The payout head then just spins in the center of the deck [Big Grin] .

2. The reed switches in the P.O. head on the older models and the funky conversion to microswitch kit to replace them.

3. The use of a cheapo Phone Plug on the payout head "plug" assy that constantly gets broken when payout heads are dropped.

4. Motor drive boards that burst into flames..... ever see the Enamel coating on a 50 watt vitrous enamel resistor melt... that takes a ton of heat to accomplish.

5. Newly designed motor druve boards that are not compatable with older motors.

6. No normal booth monger is ever able to understand anything about them.

If you have them take em to the nearest dump or scrap metal place. Use the ten bucks you get from the scrap value to put towards one of the platters that Brad mentioned..... or at least go get a good stiff drink.

Like I told ya Brad... Ya gotta come here and see some of this stuff [Roll Eyes] .

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But that would mean coming to Utah!!! [Eek!]

quote: from the movie Orgazmo
Lisa: Excuse me, could you tell me what movie this is?
Video Store Clerk: [laughs] What movie this is? Where have you been, under a rock?
Lisa: No, I'm from Utah.
Video Store Clerk: Oh, I'm sorry.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-31-2005 04:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My list is:

Kinoton ST-200E. There are some definately stupid designs in it (the brain determines the payout/take up mode rather than the take up roller thus only one brain may be installed at a time, as Brad noted). They have changed their threading path on the unit to eliminate the bottom platter being a unique threading path but the last one I worked with had all of the take up paths unique...needs work there. However, bar none...this unit handles film the best.

Strong's SCDC platter. It is my best bang for the buck...very few problems in our service area with this one...ready to go out of the create every time. It has the wind-strom issue as the SPECO do via the support fins and it has no back tension for break down...but overall...a good value in my book.

Christie seems to be the favorite around here and in the right hands they can do well...then again, they are the most serviced platter we have to deal with. Their roller design sucks in that they constantly go out of round due to their bearing method...we have one customer that is using the MUT rollers with the needle bearings in lieu of the "correct" roller and the metal rollers (for anti-static) since they are flangless and have the needle bearings. The Christie platter and their rollers are notorious for putting a bounce in the film path on payout. Again, in the right hands they are decent tool though I'm not as enamored with their film handling design as others and have found them to damage film more easily than other designs. Building up and tearing down on a Christie is certainly the best.

Having grown up on SPECO LP-270s I have a soft spot in my heart for them. They too are a good value in the mid-priced platter line.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-31-2005 04:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve, for the LP-270's were my first platter that I started with when leaving the carbon arc world. I worked with those Drive-In's for a good 8 yrs and the only problem I had with them is that plugin 8-pin diode assembly in the control head, which loved to go out and blow fuses. This had to happen at least twice year, so I had a small stockpile of those assemblies.

As for the motor tires, I would raise them a half inch every six months and then lower them so they wouldn't get that noticable "groove" cut in the tire and would last longer.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the SPECO LP-270 beats the Strong crap hands down and I would not have a problem installing or operating at a theater with them. Plus it handles film much better than the Strong does. For operating, when it works properly, the Strong SCDC is acceptable, but far more often than not I see those things over and back-wrapping. Also their buildup/teardown is a joke and not in the best interest of the film. They shouldn't even be considered for a new install. If money is tight, buy the SPECO.

How often does this happen on a Strong brain? A LOT!
 -
 -

It's not elegant, but at least it works to get rid of the stupid "upside down" payout arm...
 -

Here is a video of the awesomeness of a Strong SCDC payout in action! AVI file [Roll Eyes]

...and another
...and another
...and another!

Here is a "stock" Strong brain in action. (Yes I had to drill and tap the film cleaner mount.) Note the lousy backtension.
 -

Here is a "Christie modified" Strong brain in action. Problem solved!
 -

Another angle...
 -

And you actually LIKE these crappy platters Steve???

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Brad, I would have a nice fresh "Religeons Of The World" T-Shirt for you to wear......you could ACTUALLY make a statement while you're here. I wear one of these once ina while... stops folks on North Temple dead in their tracks [Wink] .

-

Really, its not that bad.... its actually pretty good.... lots of great places to eat too. But ya really got to see some of these places [Embarrassed] .

I agree, The three platters on Brads list are really the only three I would normally consider. I would take "Big Sky" platter over the Strong any day because of its unique drive system and its very reliable... the decks are just a little on the light side though.... with any Stong you still have the dam vaccum motors to service and after the things been running for 6 or 7 years they'll need servicing or replacement. While the motors on all the other mentioned systems run and run and run and then can be rebuilt for another 20 years of service.

Mark

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only complaint about the Speco 280's has been the number of motor control / encoder boards we've gone through in the past year since the installation. In the fourteen platters purchased for two different locations, I've changed four payout / takeup control boards and swapped over ten different motor boards. Speco engineers could find nothing wrong with the motor boards, yet the DS1 and DS2 indicator LED's were both dead.

Other than that, they aren't all that bad. Chosing a good platter is like picking your own poison.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to Aaron-we are talking about LP-270s. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Speco engineers could find nothing wrong with the motor boards, yet the DS1 and DS2 indicator LED's were both dead.

Nary does a manufacturer exist that is "honest" in admitting there is a problem with their product. Just let the product speak for itself...... when there are obvious problems they will generally appear more often than not.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2006 12:27 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How often does this happen on a Strong brain? A LOT!

That's why I drive into the booth clown's head (and they're catching on..) that if they have to set the brain down, set the brain upside down so the plug doesn't get all busted up like this. But, there are those who just love to set a brain on a deck and forget to turn off the deck when threading, and "crash!" the brain hits the floor and shatters that MOLEX plug. Easy to change out, but......

Brad, Have to give me tips on the STRONG to Christie brain conversion plans, for this *mod* looks real interesting to do. Also, with that upper tension, it helps DTS to read better as well due to the tension going across that scan roller on the reader. Thx a bunch!

-Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-01-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only times I have seen the strong payout plugs damaged like that is when they get dropped or forced into the socket which is not the design fault but the idiots using it
I have always like the Speco line and the ORC platters seem to run forever

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: