Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lucas composes Star Wars Episode 3 for shitty theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lucas composes Star Wars Episode 3 for shitty theaters
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-03-2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
From The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith E-book:

*** possible spoilers ***

quote:

Lead animator Virginie d'Annoville takes control of the computer and calls up a short sequence featuring Yoda on Kashyyyk, the Wookiee homeworld. Coleman asks Lucas what the Jedi Master is thinking, now that his exile has begun.

Lucas pauses for a moment and then says, "Oh, God, a new Sith has been born -- and one of our best guys!" He then cautions that Yoda's movements, the way they're now framed, might lose some of their impact in certain theaters. Moviemakers often have to consider the fact that movie houses, for one reason or another, may not project a film at its maximum aspect ratio, which means the audience may not see action that takes place close to the edges of the screen.

Before moving on to the next sequence, Lucas suggests that Yoda take a "deep breath" just before they cut away.

"That'll be great," Coleman agrees.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, all of my DVDs project the full frame width. Oh, wait... are you saying that Lucas is actually commenting on the short film release? [Roll Eyes] "yoda at the edge of the frame" will be a feature of the special edition version. "As lucas originally wanted it, though his vision was ahead of its time"...

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I guess he will have to re-release a special edition for shitty theatres in 2006.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2005 04:52 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say this, but I tend agree with George here (although I haven't seen this particular sequence.) Many theaters are not careful about showing the full image, and it's wise that a director understands this.

Here's where THX was good: They were a sort of UL, CE, ISO9000, TUV, etc, etc. approval for theaters.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all FOR directors that utilize every bit of the available picture real estate, particularly the width. When Friday Night Lights came out, one complex had 3 "compromise 2:1" screens and found immediately that they could never move it into those 3 screens (their smallest) because it would cut off titles, captions and such, so that burned them quite a bit.

But lookie what happened...new masking and such was installed due to it! At least something good came from that boring movie. [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-03-2005 07:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Brad. When watching a SCOPE movie, I don't want to see a lot of "expendable" information --- or lack of information, on the sides of the screen. If a theater can't show it all because of some stupid pin head decision like the one AMC made in the early 90s (every theater should have the largest FLAT picture as possible, and then we'll shrink that down a little bit to show most of the SCOPE picture) then that's too bad for them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really a sore point for me. We have a 2:1 screen and I hate it, but it's wall to wall so it can't get any wider. This building (75 years old this year) was designed for the old 1.33:1 screen, and part of the proscenium had to be removed in the 1950s when the current screen was installed.

If we were to mask it to show the full scope width, we'd lose 2.55 feet of height on the picture. Thing is, we've never had a single complaint about it in all my 25+ years of being here, including the rare occasion of titles being off the edge of the screen....but I'll bet if the picture suddenly got over 2-1/2 feet shorter, we would get complaints or at least comments. So I've learned to live with it, although it still drives me out of my frickin' mind.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
So I've learned to live with it, although it still drives me out of my frickin' mind.

....there ya go, Mike. Put in adjustable upper masking, and this could easily be the manual type where you go down to the one side of the screen and do the adjusting with a crankscrew, or drawstring of sorts to raise and lower the upper masking. Nobody would even notice the change, since you're doing it the night before (unless you're doing dbl features with dbl lens formats).

The other version of the horizontal maskings is to have a "scissor" type where both lower and uppers are adjustable, so that the bulb stays centered in the picture.

The upper only adjustable masking needs the machine pitched down a hair for the bulb to remain centered on the screen. Then the Scope aperture plate needs trimmed and a new flat aperture needs to be cut. Also, a slightly longer focal length backup lens is needed for the anamporphic element to "shrink" down the picture a bit to fit that new ratioed screen.

You should check into this somewhere. If you're going to keep the quality of presentations up quite high, then go all the way with full ratioed anamorphic presentations.

quote: Mark J. Marshall
....every theater should have the largest FLAT picture as possible....
MAN! I agree with this one. I know a small company that DID this in their theatre construction: LARGE FLAT screens,clear to the edge of the walls and to the very top of the ceiling (upper picture bleed reflects off of the matt black painted ceiling tiles), that turns out CRAPPY scope 1.85/1 to 2.00/1 scope movies, due to no adjustable maskings-just them damned "floating" screens!

thx-Monte

-Monte

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 02:56 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike may have no room above the screen for horizontal masking. It's usually a fabric panel that just moves up & down, & it's got to go somewhere when it's out.

As far as losing 2.5 feet off the picture, I agree that when most masking comes in, it's usually just a big chunk of black, & the audience is annoyed & disappointed because they just see the screen getting smaller. This business of just a black panel was a cheapo one-size-fits-all component availability for horizontal masking, & it could (& has) been done much better. Only the leading 6" to 8" of masking must be black. The rest of the panel should be a decorative panel that will not only be unobjectionable, but must be enjoyed by the people looking at it. It's also got to conform to the decoration of the rest of the theater. 6" of black on the bottom, then a border that appears to be the bottom edge of the decorative panel (in a French bordello auditorium, it would be a real or believably painted fringe, in a deco house it could be a straight painted border or apparent pipe, etc.), then the decorative panel above.

In a Thomas Lamb/Rapp & Rapp/etc. drapes & tassels to hellandgone house, the decorative panel would resemble any other lambrequin: pleated or painted fabric applied flat to the panel. In a deco house, you could have some deco-y background & then some deco-y ornamentation applied or painted on top like a frieze of Forsyth Illuminating The World or your logo freaked out all over it. It's a stage designer's & painter's job. But whatever it is, it's got to be a treat when it comes in.

Everything is being called Art Deco these days, but the real stuff is geometric. Look at the Pantages (but pull WAY back to the appropriate level of ornamentation), & the art & statuary around Rockefeller Center for the style.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-04-2005 07:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I more-or-less agree with Brad, although I do think that there is something to be said for accommodating the realities of exhibition. Filmmakers need to be aware of the "safe title area" concept so that titles and other critical elements do not fall into areas that might not appear on screen if, for example, the film is shown in a theatre with a steep projection angle and the plates must be cut such that some image area is cut off, even when the screen is in the correct aspect ratio.

The same goes for having dialogue and music run right up to (or even span) reel changes. In an ideal world, every frame would be shown and this would be a nonissue, but not every theatre employs Brad Miller or Steve Guttag and it is wise to make accommodation for the handful of frames that will be chopped off or lost in a changeover in a "typical" theatre.

Is this making accommodation for shitty theatres? Yes, but it is also what any smart filmmaker would do to avoid having his work butchered in all but the very best theatres.

As for composing a scope film to play properly on 2:1 screens, that's just stupid. Any theatre with a 2:1 screen should be blown up immediately.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really a sore point for me. We have a 2:1 screen and I hate it, but it's wall to wall so it can't get any wider. This building (75 years old this year) was designed for the old 1.33:1 screen, and part of the proscenium had to be removed in the 1950s when the current screen was installed.
Mike, this is exactly the situation in my theater. The screen is wall to wall so I installed top masking to make the screen shorter for scope shows. With my lens setup, I'm able to run the full scope aspect ratio. The picture is nearly two feet shorter than when I'm presenting flat features, but I've never had a complaint about the picture being "smaller" when I play scope features. With this setup the picture fills the full width of the screen whether I'm running flat or scope. Thus - side masking is stationary.

Steve Hart

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-04-2005 08:52 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 2:1 screen
quote: Scott Norwood
that's just stupid. Any theatre with a 2:1 screen should be blown up immediately.
Watch out, Mike. [Wink]

[Disclaimer]I'm not suggesting that Scott, or Mike, or I condone violence in any way shape or form.[/Disclaimer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-04-2005 09:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caring About Composition

quote:
Let's be frank: the main reason for this "one size fits all" mentality is to save money by not installing adjustable masking. Another poor reason may be to save a bit on the cost the screen and its frame. In my humble opinion, only
historic "landmark" theatres with fixed narrow prosceniums built before the advent of CinemaScope have any legitimate excuse for not installing a screen able to provide a large scope image with the full 2.39:1 aspect ratio intended by filmmakers.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Cinemascope-screen is using all possible height and width,
with an aspect ratio of 2,25:1. The reason from the beginning
was to be able to show both CS and 70mm (both slightly
compromised) on the same screen without moving vertical
masking. The screen can be masked sideways for all other
formats.

CS aperture plate is cut to max allowed height, and cropped
about 5% sideways. Would you consider this within the "safe
area"?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2005 01:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and then what gets me is when theatre doesn't get the backup lens size matched up (too short) for the proper throw, thus having to massively undercut the scope apertures (almost a 1.45/1 cut) where the characters on the screen looks massively crowded due to the undercut of the aperture, even though the theatre has the proper 2.39/1 screen size. When one frames one on one of these, there is a lot of turn, both directions, of the FRAME knob before the framelines begin to show.

Just tacky....

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: