Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with Strong Platter

Author Topic: Help with Strong Platter
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that some of our Strong platters have not been winding the prints up as tight as I'd like. I calibrated it, but it's just raising the roller assemlby (lack of better term) and lowering it while holding the toggle switch. Is there any type of way, or even trick to get these to wind prints really tight...like say a Christie?

it's a Strong AP 3 (I'm pretty sure I can check tomorrow)
Projector/Lamphouse all Strong/Simplex if it helps

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than hanging a weight from the elevator rollers, there's really not much you can do. (...except of course junk them and buy Christies! [evil] )

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 01:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you say that assuming that:

A) The platter is all in working order. (Ostensibly) There is nothing wrong such as a worn out rubber "tire" on the drive wheel.

B) There is nothing wrong with the film. There is no sprocket damage, etc., to the print that would cause the film to wind up all funky-like.

I'd say, give your platter a once-over to make sure it's all good. Check the tires. Clean and lube the sliders that the yo-yo rides on.

From there on out, the things will either work or they won't. (Mostly won't. [Wink] )

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll have to check the tires and what not. We just have a one or two out of twenty that wind up WAY too loose....

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The black drive tires do tend to dry & crack and just plain flatten out or glaze. The belts only cost about $3 each so it's probably time to change out some belts.

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, cracked belts...would that explain the intense vibrating on some of our platter decks? I didn't think to check.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ahh, cracked belts...would that explain the intense vibrating on some of our platter decks? I didn't think to check.
I always assumed that they vibrate b/c they become off center from people bumping them, slamming prints, throwing a splicer on it, etc....

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience has been that Christie platters wind prints loose compared to strong platters.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The older Christie platters were guilty of that, not ones from the last decade or two.

A super cheap solution

Mike Perju
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Perju   Email Mike Perju   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer here is easier that hanging a weight on the carriage or scrapping the platters: Just miss the top right hand roller in the carriage assembly, otherwise thread normally.

Then again, why does anybody care how tight the film is wound?... unless you want to move the print

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 01:50 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
b/c we move prints like crazy.....some houses play 3-4 different prints a day...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 02:47 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have twelve Strong platters, six Alpha's and six AP3's. The Alpha's have phase controls and carbon switches and the AP3's have microswitches. All 36 decks wind prints perfectly tight. I would suggest you look at all the things mentioned here and others; perhaps the variac is wearing out for example.

One thing that would help diagnos the problem-does the accumulator move up and down constantly during operation or does it stay in one spot once the platter has started up?

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a bunch(10)of Potts/ Strong platters, 3 are even the flat belt type. 99 1/2% of the time I have no problems with the platters, I've always found them very reliable. I've had your problem a couple of times and it's been caused by resistance in the accumulator. When some operator has banged into the rails that the accumulator rides between, causing them to bow. Also I had a roller come lose causing the accumulator to twist, thereby adding resistance (defeating gravity). You might check the variac linkage, even disconnect it from the accumulator, making sure each moves easily.

Jason Thode
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Jason Thode   Email Jason Thode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you can try that I found works for some reason or other is to move the motor mounts. I found when the motors tires where to snug to the platter it slowed down and when it was to loose it would not spin the platter. If you set them to where they skim with a little pressure it should fix the problem.

The other thing you can try, but only on nights you need to move a print would be to "Z" thread the take up gravity bar on the tree.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: